+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hypnotherapy

Hypnotherapy

Has anyone ever had this treatment, particularly to combat an addiction?

I always thought it was a bit hocus-pocus but it appears that its a fully licenced treatment.

Re: Hypnotherapy

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Has anyone ever had this treatment, particularly to combat an addiction?

I always thought it was a bit hocus-pocus but it appears that its a fully licenced treatment.
    I'ts not fully licensed in the UK, there is specific training by law that you need to set up a private hypnotherapy clinic.

However there are associations within the UK that will offer an accreditation, then you can put up a certificate and put letters after your name.

I have had hypnotherapy (not for an addiction), and to be honest i dont believe it had any effect at all. Yeah the sessions were calming, but no different from what you can get in any self help booklet.

Its hard to believe in a system that dictates that you have to believe in it for it to work. That is a placebo surely.

Its all about susceptibility.I remember a works do years ago when he had one of the directors jumping out of his seat swearing he got a big electric shock when ever he said a certain word.

I had a course a few years ago to combat a fear of heights. It didn't seem to work for me. If you think it's going to be like stage hypnosis then think again. It's basically a relaxation technique.
    It does seem to help some people though so worth a go.

I'm wondering if it's something that I could do from watching YouTube videos.

I think I'm either bordering on alcoholism or have passed the threshold. It's something I've tried to stop but it only lasted a few months.

International

I had one session of it to stop smoking in 2006 and I've never felt the need for a cigarette since. And unlike a lot of ex-smokers others smoking doesn't bother me at all.
    I have on occasion smoked a cigarette to demonstrate to people that it doesn't start me smoking again. It does absolutely nothing for me. I believed it was just an act too and told the hypnotist that before I agreed it. She said I was a perfect candidate. She was clearly correct.

Best £120.00 I ever spent. From 40 - 60 B&H a day to zero in 30 minutes. So if it works for you it will be worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I had one session of it to stop smoking in 2006 and I've never felt the need for a cigarette since. And unlike a lot of ex-smokers others smoking doesn't bother me at all.
    I have on occasion smoked a cigarette to demonstrate to people that it doesn't start me smoking again. It does absolutely nothing for me. I believed it was just an act too and told the hypnotist that before I agreed it. She said I was a perfect candidate. She was clearly correct.

Best £120.00 I ever spent. From 40 - 60 B&H a day to zero in 30 minutes. So if it works for you it will be worth every penny.
    And you only have to do this ten, twenty times a day.

I think I'm either bordering on alcoholism or have passed the threshold. It's something I've tried to stop but it only lasted a few months.
    For something that serious, I would not use youtube, make the investment and give it a go, even if it offers the smallest of help, that in itself could be crucial for you.

do you currently do any sport or hobbies? from my experience this is the best combat to drink, I stopped drinking and smoking after I joined a local 5 a side team, purely because i was enjoying playing again so much, my cravings completely diminished.

AA is the best option. If you think you are bordering on alcoholism, you have clearly identified that you have a drink problem. Take action now before it gets any worse.

Thanks for all your answers lads.

AA is something I hadn't considered but I might just give it a go. Nothing to lose. I might go to the Hypnotherapist just as a process of elimination.

5-a-side does sound appealing to me as well. That would be a great way to build up some stamina. Chris, are you looking for any extra players?