+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye Neil, happy retirement

Re: Bye Neil, happy retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Two of the clubs that came up with us spent £100m last summer alone. Some £50m in THREE transfer windows is nowhere near enough to make a success of PL survival though, Paul.

The paucity of today's play for 75 mins in a game we needed to win, with Reid not coming on until 87 mins, was remarkable.

StT.
    <><
    Huddersfield spent less and stayed up last season Steve - we can argue about whether we should have spent more, but the money we did have to buy players with was spent poorly.

Two of the clubs that came up with us spent £100m last summer alone. Some £50m in THREE transfer windows is nowhere near enough to make a success of PL survival though, Paul.

The paucity of today's play for 75 mins in a game we needed to win, with Reid not coming on until 87 mins, was remarkable.

StT.
    <><
    Regardless of what others have done with their money we have not spent 50m well. In fact, you could argue we’ve spent 50m and not improved the team.

StT.
    <><
    And where is one of those teams that spent £100m ? Yes thats right, below us and already relegated !!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I forgot about him. Paterson has been a good signing, but we only paid a small amount of compensation for him, he was a Bosman free transfer, Warnock's record is very poor for "normal" signings.
    Agreed, but I think the problem goes beyond Warnock. When was the last time we had a successful transfer window?

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I don’t get why our budget is so small. The premier league and mistakes made were six years ago. Yeah it pushed us back a few years ago but that should all be long gone now. What is going on that we still have to spend such little amounts every season?

Warnock got it stupidly wrong today, feels like 18 months of good work chucked away
    For gods sake where have you been ? We nearly went bust in the three years after relgation last time and lost £39m last year, even though we went up. Where do you think the money comes from ? Even if we go down, we have earned £100m plus this year (less the £40m we spent) and will have a guaranteed £55m parachute payment next season. That will give us a good base to have another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    is it just one turgid performance though?

I disagree that he's still building, his philosophy is geared up for the short term, he doesn't leave a legacy at any of the clubs he manages. There is no playing style foundation being put in place.
    Bang on.

Yes, I forgot about him. Paterson has been a good signing, but we only paid a small amount of compensation for him, he was a Bosman free transfer, Warnock's record is very poor for "normal" signings.
    Dont think he was a free transfer/Bosman. I recall we paid Hearts around £450000 for him, plus add ons, as he was injured. Worth every penny. We have missed him and Bamba badly and more recently Arter.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    For gods sake where have you been ? We nearly went bust in the three years after relgation last time and lost £39m last year, even though we went up. Where do you think the money comes from ? Even if we go down, we have earned £100m plus this year (less the £40m we spent) and will have a guaranteed £55m parachute payment next season. That will give us a good base to have another go.
    Why are we losing £39m last year though? No contracts from last season’s PL campaign are still going or being paid off. The vast majority of the squad are on small wages for the champ.

I just don’t buy the we’re completely broke line. As you say this season we’ve earned decent money this year. Our squad looks pretty shit for next year when you take out Gunnar, arter and victor so I hope we spend a bit and give ourselves a chance next season instead of 2-3 years of stability.

Dont think he was a free transfer/Bosman. I recall we paid Hearts around £450000 for him, plus add ons, as he was injured. Worth every penny. We have missed him and Bamba badly and more recently Arter.
    I think we’ve been better off without bamba

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Why are we losing £39m last year though? No contracts from last season’s PL campaign are still going or being paid off. The vast majority of the squad are on small wages for the champ.

I just don’t buy the we’re completely broke line. As you say this season we’ve earned decent money this year. Our squad looks pretty shit for next year when you take out Gunnar, arter and victor so I hope we spend a bit and give ourselves a chance next season instead of 2-3 years of stability.
    I don't know the exact figures, but I believe that we paid out quite a lot of money for promotion bonuses.

Hell of a ride, and Warnock will be remembered as one of the great Cardiff City managers, but ultimately it was a step too far. Given his age, I would now like to see a young up and coming manager come in and build for the future.

StT.
    <><
    If you are going to criticise Warnock’s transfer dealings then surely bringing Sala into it is a bit poor ?

Reid has been criminally underused and Murphy has been an enigma, excellent one week then rubbish next 2-3, but they are our only major transfers.

The others were squad players only and no better than what we already had.

I had the feeling we got a bit caught out in the summer with Warnock underestimating what was needed, and that they were going to put it right this summer if we stayed up, but it was a long long shot .

At least we won’t have to have a firesale if/when we go down.

Always leaves it too late to make a sub and usually the wrong change to make.

He’s done a lot for the club and I’ll be grateful for that, but I think football has just about left him behind.

Really disappointed about today.
    Neil got it wrong in quite a few areas and the worst bit for me is the substitutions.
    We had to win.
    Even when it was obvious things weren't going our way, he hung on and on just hoping instead of changing something, anything.

That said, I still think provided he wants to stay on and still has the hunger, he should be allowed another crack.

We have not spent nearly enough on quality granted but spend spend spend, a la Fulham, wasn't the way forward.
    If you believe that we weren't prepared for promotion in the first place, as I do, then he deserves to be supported.
    Warnock is the best man to get us back.
    A few players in key areas can make a significant difference and we have a decent enough set of players for next season.

Yes very disappointed today but as the saying goes, time is a healer.

It was a compensation fee, he was a free transfer Bosman signing after his contract with Hearts ran out.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...deal-1-4468817

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...-cardiff-city/

We're light years behind teams like Norwich, Watford, - even Huddersfield, in terms of recruitment. Clubs like these seem to have players who are 'off the radar' already identified and seem to sign them up without them being touted around as soon as they get a sniff of interest. We just seem to pick up whoever's being touted by the agents that week. I wouldn't say it's all down to Warnock..

100% agree, Bamba for all his "leadership qualities" always has a mistake in him. Morrison and Manga have to be the spine in the centre next season.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We're light years behind teams like Norwich, Watford, - even Huddersfield, in terms of recruitment. Clubs like these seem to have players who are 'off the radar' already identified and seem to sign them up without them being touted around as soon as they get a sniff of interest. We just seem to pick up whoever's being touted by the agents that week. I wouldn't say it's all down to Warnock..
    We’ve bought a real bag of lemons over the last couple of years and Madine has to be right up there. Whoever heads up player recruitment needs a P45!

Huddersfield spent less and stayed up last season Steve - we can argue about whether we should have spent more, but the money we did have to buy players with was spent poorly.
    Yes, Paul, we can discuss it until the cows come home. Money has been wasted on players who are nowhere near playing which is galling. However, for a team coming up to the PL I think you need to spend between £50-70m on players of PL standard which Huddersfield did and paid double our wage cap. A summer spend of £28m (only on Championship players) due to a cap of £30k/wk wages will never bring another season in the PL.

However, I'm not a fan of the rarified air of the top tier and won't miss it.

Hope to see you on MaYA soon.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by hueypianosmith View Post
    100% agree, Bamba for all his "leadership qualities" always has a mistake in him. Morrison and Manga have to be the spine in the centre next season.
    Unfortunately I don't think Manga will be here as his contract is up and I can't see him staying. Assuming of course that someone else wants him, nobody did 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think Manga will be here as his contract is up and I can't see him staying. Assuming of course that someone else wants him, nobody did 2 years ago.
    Haven't we used an option in Manga's contract to keep him for another year?

We have missed Bamba and Patterson.
    Also Ralls today.
    The 3 of them are fighters

Exactly and, to be fair to him, he has always said that he only thinks in the short term at his age.

It seems a good time to think of a change of direction now, but there is a risk involved because, although his style of football grates with me, it has to be accepted that Warnock is very good at some aspects of the manager's job and we'd struggle to get someone as good as him in those.
    He originally came in to turn the club around and stop our slide.
    He did that and congratulations to him but the future blocks is not something he is good at, or cares about.
    My fear is that trying to change back to a footballing club is a long process and one which several of our current players would undoubtedly fail.

He's had to start from. scratch
    The academy was fcuked.
    Holliet Etheridge. Patterson. Lang.Bamba.
    all signed.
    Reid & Murphy. will improve.
    Cunningham is a decent championship player.
    The downside Tomlin & Madine
    I wouldn't be surprised if we have a, similar influx of players this time.
    Use the parachute money wisely and the Bluebirds will fly again

I’m not sure I trust the people who would be selecting a new manager. Even if NW chipped in. Can you see Warnock sourcing an up and coming non-english manager ? As for the board , they don’t appear to have what it takes either.