+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 27% possession ..

27% possession ..

...in a must-win game against an already relegated side. Says it all really.

Re: 27% possession ..

The lack of possession we have had in games this season has been extremely poor. Against top 6 and even top 10 sides you can understand surrendering large chunks of it but, as you say, 27% in a must-win match against a team already relegated is crazy.

After 75 minutes our 2nd half possession was 18%

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC99 View Post
    The lack of possession we have had in games this season has been extremely poor. Against top 6 and even top 10 sides you can understand surrendering large chunks of it but, as you say, 27% in a must-win match against a team already relegated is crazy.
    I watched the Under 18s play this morning and, as they always do, they played a completely different game to the first team - possession is cherished by our youngsters and, although this sometimes gets them into trouble, they stick to their guns about the way they play. Contrast that with the first team where I sometimes think they don't want to have the ball - whatever the truth is, in this time where the "identity" of a club seems to be considered so important, we have been schizophrenic in terms of what the youngsters and seniors do for years.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    ...in a must-win game against an already relegated side. Says it all really.
    I think that i'm the only one that isn't surprised-I'd have been ****ing dumbfounded if Warnock had decided to play a more possession based game today-Where would we start?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I watched the Under 18s play this morning and, as they always do, they played a completely different game to the first team - possession is cherished by our youngsters and, although this sometimes gets them into trouble, they stick to their guns about the way they play. Contrast that with the first team where I sometimes think they don't want to have the ball - whatever the truth is, in this time where the "identity" of a club seems to be considered to important, we have been schizophrenic in terms of what the youngsters and seniors do for years.
    Not sure if this is good to hear or not. If you said you saw the under 18s and they were massive and they battered the opposition then I'd wonder when we would see one of them break through.

Now you have said that about their style I know we will never see any of those players break through.

We were lucky to produce some good players mainly under dave jones- Joe ledley, Cameron jerome (lennie) darcy Blake (yes he was good once) Aaron ramsey, Adam matthews, Chris gunter- i wonder how many if any of those players would have played at all under warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Not sure if this is good to hear or not. If you said you saw the under 18s and they were massive and they battered the opposition then I'd wonder when we would see one of them break through.

Now you have said that about their style I know we will never see any of those players break through.

We were lucky to produce some good players mainly under dave jones- Joe ledley, Cameron jerome (lennie) darcy Blake (yes he was good once) Aaron ramsey, Adam matthews, Chris gunter- i wonder how many if any of those players would have played at all under warnock?
    Ramsey would’ve been sent to Crawley on loan, had a crap time of it and faded into nothingness under Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Gunter seems right up Warnock's street, same with Ledley

Ramsey was an incredible talent. He'd have broken through at any club in the country

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Ramsey would’ve been sent to Crawley on loan, had a crap time of it and faded into nothingness under Warnock.
    “Aaron. None of this head up, holding onto the ball nonsense. Just hook it on lad. Get it in the channels for Cameron”.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Gunter seems right up Warnock's street, same with Ledley

Ramsey was an incredible talent. He'd have broken through at any club in the country
    Something I've been thinking about more and more lately. That 2010/11 team (that didn't get promoted) would've probably made a better go of it in this year's PL. Would you take this squad of 25 over the current crop?

Goalkeepers - Marshall, Heaton, Brown
    Defence - Hudson, McNaughton, Keinan, Blake, Matthews, Gerrard, Naylor, Gyepes, Quinn
    Midfield - Ramsey, Whittingham, Olofinjana, McPhail, Drinkwater, Koumas, Burke, Rae, JET
    Striking - Chopra, Bellamy, Bothroyd, Parkin

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Something I've been thinking about more and more lately. That 2010/11 team (that didn't get promoted) would've probably made a better go of it in this year's PL. Would you take this squad of 25 over the current crop?

Defence - Hudson, McNaughton, Keinan, Blake, Matthews, Gerrard, Naylor, Gyepes, Quinn
    Midfield - Ramsey, Whittingham, Olofinjana, McPhail, Drinkwater, Koumas, Burke, Rae, JET
    The fact that side has strikers that could actually score is the reason I'd agree with you. We haven't had a proper goalscorer for close to 10 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    The fact that side has strikers that could actually score is the reason I'd agree with you. We haven't had a proper goalscorer for close to 10 years now.

It's unbelievable isn't it!

Two promotions and decent amounts spent and yet we've had nothing coming close to a reliable striker. I'm talking recognised strikers here, obviously Whittingham in his pomp was a regular scorer, but from midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

It’s criminal the bulk of these lads never got over the line in 2010 or 2011.

Dave Jones were far more exciting to watch than either of the teams that got promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s criminal the bulk of these lads never got over the line in 2010 or 2011.

Dave Jones were far more exciting to watch than either of the teams that got promoted.
    And he got a load of abuse on here did Dave Jones

That 2010 team is a far better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It's unbelievable isn't it!

Two promotions and decent amounts spent and yet we've had nothing coming close to a reliable striker. I'm talking recognised strikers here, obviously Whittingham in his pomp was a regular scorer, but from midfield.
    We’ve had a few guys who popped up with about 10 a season. Zohore and Kenwyne come to mind, not sure how much Campbell got when he joined in that January but he faded when we were in the PL.

None of them did it consistently though and it’s arguably a big part of the reason we’ve gone straight back down twice