+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simple poll. Warnock stay or go?

Re: Simple poll. Warnock stay or go?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It doesn't. You put forth a ridiculous name for a replacement based on next to nothing. I tried to point out that coming in second place with the second biggest team is not much of an achievement and you weirdly interpreted that as me putting myself as a candidate for the next manager of Cardiff City.

Sorry about the Man City result this morning. You must be really upset.
    I think it was because you named Gerrard's biggest achievement as a manager and you said you could also achieve that, thereby intimating that you are Gerrard's equal as a manager, therefore inadvertently suggesting that if he's being considered for the Cardiff City job then you should as well. I can see how he got there.

In terms of the thread, I agree with Jon1959

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    That mayvwell be because at every team he has been at he has been working on a fairly meagre budget, particularly when it came to having funds in the premiership.
    Didn’t he have a good amount at QPR?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Go: for two reasons.
    I think we need a perspective that is longer than a year.
    Bingo.

As I posted earlier, I fail to see what long term good could be achieved by keeping him on. That's not to sound ungrateful for the excellent job he's done. If he was younger and more long term planning I'd maybe reconsider, but he's not. It's about the here and now. If he could have kept us up it would have been the perfect opportunity to hand over the reins. Now we're going down (bar an absolute miracle) we need to have a longer term plan than one season of Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I had an e-mail from someone who recommended him three years ago when he was at Braintree - my guess is he is bound for the Championship at least, so why not look at him. I like the fact that, as you say, he is not wedded to one way of playing as well.
    Cowley likes to play a direct style of football with an emphasis on pace and set plays - ring a bell?

Not criticising it and they have done extremely well to get where they have - perhaps they would be a good fit for us when Neil retires but not just yet - a young manager playing swash buckling football from the lower leagues is the approach Ipswich took this season with Paul Hurst - they were soon looking for a safe pair of hands. There's life in the old dog yet but I could have kicked him up the arse for the way we played yesterday.

If we have the opportunity to employ the most successful manager in the history of the championship who knows our players inside out and has already achieved promotion with that club and knows where improvements are needed rather than a whole new approach and a whole new squad with a club that is still heavily in debt I reckon that he would be the man

Luckily we have business men running the club not emotionally reactive football supporters who would be averaging 4 or 5 managers a season.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    If we have the opportunity to employ the most successful manager in the history of the championship who knows our players inside out and has already achieved promotion with that club and knows where improvements are needed rather than a whole new approach and a whole new squad with a club that is still heavily in debt I reckon that he would be the man
    Out of interest, how long will Warnock be at the club and what happens when he decides to leave? Will we not be in the position of needing a whole new approach and squad improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Stay

But use the year to improve/transform the infrastructure and capacity of the club, adopt a clear and public policy on the Academy (how it will be run and what it is for - especially given other threads describing how the u18s play a totally different way from the first team), and find a replacement manager early, using Warnock's advice and experience to do it, but not a new Warnock one generation younger.
    Can you honestly see that happening ?
    He has never taken any notice of academies in all his career

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The problem is we will never get promoted unless Warnock stays with his record in the Championship. Several posts fail to appreciate that Warnock has been operating on a budget that means he has to set up the team according to ability and deploy tactics suited to the players we have.
    That’s what he has done at every club he has managed irrespective of budget availability.
    He cannot change his ways and will continue with the way we are now.
    If Tan made a lot of money available I would be very concerned about his ability to spend it correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Out of interest, how long will Warnock be at the club and what happens when he decides to leave? Will we not be in the position of needing a whole new approach and squad improvements?
    I have no idea but just a hunch that a multi million pound business with highly paid directors and successful business men at the helm have things called business plans in place where they discuss where the business is going in the next 5 years and have succession plans in place and during these meetings they discuss when the operations manager is going to retire and which direction they want to go. I think maybe just maybe they know when Neil if he stays healthy plans to finish.

I think that is probably a better solution than a bunch of blokes saying stay or go anonymously on an internet forum though I do appreciate the fantastic planning that goes into these polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The problem is we will never get promoted unless Warnock stays with his record in the Championship. Several posts fail to appreciate that Warnock has been operating on a budget that means he has to set up the team according to ability and deploy tactics suited to the players we have.
    If we get promoted again would you want Warnock to stay? I doubt very much if any new manager would be able to work with all of the players that Warnock left behind, so we are looking at a rebuilding job, and that is why I am saying make the change now. Another promotion with Warnock would end up with the same outcome, and we would be no further down the road. What we need is a total rethink from top to bottom, because at the momet we are not a viable Premier League proposition, and applying a few more sticky plasters isn't going to hide that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I think it was because you named Gerrard's biggest achievement as a manager and you said you could also achieve that, thereby intimating that you are Gerrard's equal as a manager, therefore inadvertently suggesting that if he's being considered for the Cardiff City job then you should as well. I can see how he got there.

In terms of the thread, I agree with Jon1959
    OK. You're wrong, but how about if I said "anyone could have done it"?

Stay

Not sure as the under 18s have done okay this season?

It appears others have explained why we got where we are in terms of our forum tennis so no need to further that bit but delighted with Man city result and I'm sure so was every other Cardiff city fan as it means that come the final day man city still need to beat Brighton for the league which means if we beat palace then it is still all to play for 👍 so not sure why you think I would be upset?

Stay

Come on Neil, get the players fighting for two more games.

Go.

If we do get relegated, and if we were then to mount a promotion challenge next season, it would be just a case of déjà vu with Warnock at the helm. I wouldn't trust him with any kind of war chest, he prefers the type of players who are.. "Strong in the arm, thick in the head", carthorses who'll run all day! Victor Camarasa is the exception to this, but he wasn't really scouted by us, he landed on our doorstep courtesy of the friendly match we played pre-season against Real Betis and the influence his girlfriend had on helping him make the decision to join us. He was a last minute signing, imagine how bereft of ability our midfield would have further been without him.

It frustrates the hell out of me to continually see all of our summer outlays sitting on the bench each game or not even making the matchday squad.
    A Premier League club and we resorted to bringing on a striker who was on loan at Milton Keynes Dons in League Two. Danny Ward who's done little in his time at the club (not for a want of trying, in fairness) to inspire any real confidence in the fans was greeted onto the pitch against Fulham as if he was the next messiah, such was our desperation.

Our widemen are usually burnt out in games because of Warnocks insistence that they track back and help out our defence, a policy that puts them more in the critical spotlight for any defensive mistakes they might make, rather than encourage attacking flair and prowess.

I found it mind-numbing to watch our football at times, even those teams below us (Huddersfield & Fulham) have looked much more comfortable on the ball and dominated possession against us.

A big thank you for all what you've done for our club Neil, you are like the Red Adair of football.

It’s a tough one!
    If we go down then we have the man knows this squad , will have his plan on replacements and how to get out of the division but would you give him much to spend knowing he is leaving at end of season. Also are we potentially wasting a year ( and parachute money ) to start the inevitable rebuild of our squad and playing style once he does leave?

Also what happens if he did win promotion again or if things go wrong next season and come October we are mid table? , I’d hate to hear the chants of “Warnock out “and “you’re getting sacked in the morning “ after the efforts of past 3 seasons.

If the miracle happens and we stay up then I would say thank you but it’s time for change.

Stay, we need some stability next season

100% Stay. If we go down there is no one better placed to get us back up. We have the basis of a strong Championship squad for next season and money available to strengthen further. The same people have been banging on, on this board, about getting rid of him almost since he arrived, including last season around Christmas when we lost four in a row and look how stupid that made them look. Every time we lose a couple or play badly, out they come again with their words of 'wisdom'. After what he has done for the club and everything that has happened this season (including Sala), they should show him more respect and get on their knees and beg him to stay.

Stay!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I have no idea but just a hunch that a multi million pound business with highly paid directors and successful business men at the helm have things called business plans in place where they discuss where the business is going in the next 5 years and have succession plans in place and during these meetings they discuss when the operations manager is going to retire and which direction they want to go. I think maybe just maybe they know when Neil if he stays healthy plans to finish.

I think that is probably a better solution than a bunch of blokes saying stay or go anonymously on an internet forum though I do appreciate the fantastic planning that goes into these polls.
    Agreed with most of that, but the point must be that the club needs to have the ability to remove Warnock if it wants and should have a plan in place for that as well. The option of keeping Warnock (or any manager) for as long as the manager wants is certainly not healthy. With any long term plan, I can't see how keeping Warnock for as long as possible is beneficial, simply because anyone new coming in will make plenty of changes.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    100% Stay. If we go down there is no one better placed to get us back up.
    So we go straight back up and replace him or do we keep him for another stay in the PL for another relegation season? I can't see how that would be progress. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards in order to make greater strides forward.

So we go straight back up and replace him or do we keep him for another stay in the PL for another relegation season? I can't see how that would be progress. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards in order to make greater strides forward.
    Well said!

I don’t think anyone is being ungrateful but we really need to start looking at the long term solution for the club and imho that’s the club moving on from warnock, I also don’t entirely trust him with recruitments in the summer and we need a massive overhaul of players

This is like brexit. Impossible to vote unless you know what the alternative is.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    This is like brexit. Impossible to vote unless you know what the alternative is.
    And just like brexit it appears to be a 50/50 split.