+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swiss Ramble analysis of Cardiff City finances 17/18.

Swiss Ramble analysis of Cardiff City finances 17/18.

Re: Swiss Ramble analysis of Cardiff City finances 17/18.

Was just about to post this. I thought the most interesting thing was we had the 5th highest wage bill in the championship but only after promotion bonuses were added on, would be interesting to see where we were before that.

Looks like Warnock and the team did over achieve if you think wage bill is a good indicator of where teams should finish.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That was really interesting - as always with Swiss Ramble.

I didn't realise that parachute payments will only be for 2 years if we go straight down (currently £42m and £34m according to SR).

Stripping out promotion bonuses the Cardiff wage bill compared well with the rest of the division (Sheffield Utd surprisingly low and Aston Villa astronomic), and most of the other key numbers show the club to comparatively healthy, if dependent on continuing financial support by Vincent Tan. Unlike last time, this brief stay in the top league will put the club into major profit when the next set of accounts are published.

I would be interested to see Keith Morgan's take on the analysis.

Thanks for posting, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That was really interesting - as always with Swiss Ramble.

I didn't realise that parachute payments will only be for 2 years if we go straight down (currently £42m and £34m according to SR).

Stripping out promotion bonuses the Cardiff wage bill compared well with the rest of the division (Sheffield Utd surprisingly low and Aston Villa astronomic), and most of the other key numbers show the club to comparatively healthy, if dependent on continuing financial support by Vincent Tan. Unlike last time, this brief stay in the top league will put the club into major profit when the next set of accounts are published.

I would be interested to see Keith Morgan's take on the analysis.

Thanks for posting, Paul.

The analysis , as is always the case with Swiss Ramble , is very good and very detailed.

Unfortunately , when I do my summary just before the annual accounts are published (for release when they get filed) I only have chance to do a brief overview. SR is able to go into far more detail some weeks later and does a very fine job of it as well.

Keith

23 million spent on players for the 3 seasons prior to 17/18 season. Plus 30 million this season is peanuts compared to some clubs.
    What will next seasons budget be 20 million plus player sales at a guess

interesting as well to note that two of the three clubs that made a decent profit before tax are this year either promoted or in the play-offs...

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Was just about to post this. I thought the most interesting thing was we had the 5th highest wage bill in the championship but only after promotion bonuses were added on, would be interesting to see where we were before that.

Looks like Warnock and the team did over achieve if you think wage bill is a good indicator of where teams should finish.
    Taking out the promotion bonuses would put our wage bill firmly in the bottom half of the table so it does suggest we overperformed

Notable that we managed to make a £12 million loss in the premier League last time around. But also we made a small profit under Russel Slade the following season

What's great about the Swiss ramble stuff is everything is usually put in context against the rest of the division, ornothe similar clubs /seasons. So idiots like me who have no idea about this kind of thing can at least get some semblance of an idea as to what is going on

Widely quoted as 12th or 13th wasn’t it? £20 million on bonuses seems a bit high, isn’t that double the wage bill? Pointless blowing it all before we got there, not too mention Neil’s big signings that he then doesn’t play....is it even worth it?

Seems like it’s worth it if you read all the Twitter thread. Staying up one more season would be incredible for the club financially too.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Widely quoted as 12th or 13th wasn’t it? £20 million on bonuses seems a bit high, isn’t that double the wage bill? Pointless blowing it all before we got there, not too mention Neil’s big signings that he then doesn’t play....is it even worth it?
    Seems fairly typical if you look at the other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    What's great about the Swiss ramble stuff is everything is usually put in context against the rest of the division, ornothe similar clubs /seasons. So idiots like me who have no idea about this kind of thing can at least get some semblance of an idea as to what is going on

Be good to know how much promotion has cost Norwich or Sheffield Utd, both similar to us.....

Seems like it’s worth it if you read all the Twitter thread. Staying up one more season would be incredible for the club financially too.

Winning at old Trafford to stay up is going to go down in history as one of the away days of peoples lives.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don't suppose the accounts will specifically state how far across the staff the bonuses are spread. Undoubtedly NW, KB and RJ will have significant bonuses written into their contracts and the players who did it all on the pitch will obviously be included as well as MD and KC. I would like to think that back office staff were rewarded as well.

Whilst these figures are very interesting our financial performance for this season may be more important. Our modest transfer expenditure is well known, if we get relegated bonuses probably won't apply. Does this mean we might make a surplus ? If we do, what happens to it ? Continuation of the debt to equity conversions would be nice. When VT made his promises about debt to equity in Feb 2016 ( I think ) didn't he say that we would be debt free in 5 years i.e. 2021 ?

Wait this is not how you do it.
    You need a fan on the board and to pass it around at the back for 7 seasons.
    Come on everybody knows that.

Says we only get two years of parachute payments if we are relegated straight away. I didn’t knownthat

41 million then 31 million.
    How much of it will Neil get

According to information I have seen, if we get relegated the parachute payments from the Premier League will go on for three years and comprise 55%, 45% and then 20% of the clubs Premier League broadcast revenue the previous year. Our 'take' of the broadcasting income this year is likely to be in excess of £100m. These figures are rather at odds with what Swiss Ramble has produced.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    According to information I have seen, if we get relegated the parachute payments from the Premier League will go on for three years and comprise 55%, 45% and then 20% of the clubs Premier League broadcast revenue the previous year. Our 'take' of the broadcasting income this year is likely to be in excess of £100m. These figures are rather at odds with what Swiss Ramble has produced.
    If only there was a way of knowing which of the two of you has a better track record in this kind of thing

I have just done some more checking via Premier League rules and it appears that, if a club only spends only one season in Prem then it is correct that the third year doesn't get paid but the first two years percentage figures are correct at 55 and 45. It is therefore likely that our two years figures would be £55m+ and then £45m+, as our income this year is forecast to be over £100m due to our likely finishing position and the number of times we have been televised.