+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern tactics

Re: Modern tactics

Good thread this and the article was excellent. If only football journalists in general had this understanding of the game!

Though I wouldn't put it the way Wolfmother has, I do agree with the his views on football.

Though I loved Xavi and Iniesta and the Barcelona team of 2011 at the time, I truly don't think I appreciated them anywhere near as much as I would now.

I didn't always understand why they would move the ball "sideways" at the time and thought it was a defensive strategy to choke the opposition. There is of course an element of that, but the main reason is to move the opposition who were camped 90% of the time in a low block condensing the space.

I do think (myself included) that there can be an element of snobbery about football today though and sometimes I cant believe what I hear from someone like Greame Souness (who has won about 50 league titles and 4 European cups)!

Souness comes from a different era in some ways but when he talks about winning the battle and earning the right to play it's as relevant now as it was when he was bossing the midfield.

Re: Modern tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    There is no room, i can guarantee..

Possession isn't a direction. It is a building block. And when you look at these new types of possession teams, they also look outnumber the defence. You see? The move in blocks trying to be two against one. If you find it boring or not is not very important. Football isn't man against man, or making subs like for like anymore. It about creating that unbalance. And it is very difficult to understand, because it is the most intelligent and beautiful football you can watch. Maybe you should move to boxing? Or dig up those VHS tapes from back then and start over? Spend some time watching Italian football in the 80s and 90s! Brilliant education watching ”Sacchi ball” �� Regarding blocks and pressing anyway..
    No system is perfect, and it will always be superceded. Young David Brooks nullified Sarriball, and Ajax seem to be leading the way in playing a more expansive game. I understand the theory of possession football, but I also find it to be slightly on the boring side. I like to watch dynamic and fluid teams play, even if it's not the most technically correct type of football.