+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Off topic. Boeing Max 8

Off topic. Boeing Max 8

It is quite staggering that we still have not been told exactly why both Max 8 planes flew into the sea/ground.
    Boeing MUST know now exactly what caused both flights to crash. In fact if they do not know it is even more worrying.
    What are they covering up?
    Something else is wrong (something sinister) with the plane for certain.
    apart from the fact it is out of aerodynamic balance of course.

Re: Off topic. Boeing Max 8

Well worth a read https://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/...ware-developer

Excellent article, pulls no punches. Was free open access but now they make you register to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinblue View Post
    Well worth a read https://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/...ware-developer

Excellent article, pulls no punches. Was free open access but now they make you register to read it.
    Registered and read it.
    It is a fantastic article and I think anyone interested must read it.

I now fly to city games in Airbus 319s or 320s.
    For years it was a 737 stretched 200 etc.

I often wondered why the 737 air intakes were oval. Looked cool but now I know the reason.

CWTPASWTPPI

MCAS a cheap way to prevent a stall when the pilots punch it.
    WOW !

The elevator feel computer.
    This basically exhausted the poor pilots.
    WOW!

The Max line of 737s are flawed and not airworthy controlled by safety software that makes them crash. Boeing intend to leave them unairworthy and rewrite the software.

As a former computer programmer I think the MCAS computer put the planes controls in a subroutine that made the plane crash. A subroutine from which the pilots could not escape.

Tragic and a ****ing scandal that must be exposed. This might be the end of Boeing let alone the Max 8.
    The plane is shite.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Registered and read it.
    It is a fantastic article and I think anyone interested must read it.

I now fly to city games in Airbus 319s or 320s.
    For years it was a 737 stretched 200 etc.

I often wondered why the 737 air intakes were oval. Looked cool but now I know the reason.

CWTPASWTPPI

MCAS a cheap way to prevent a stall when the pilots punch it.
    WOW !

The elevator feel computer.
    This basically exhausted the poor pilots.
    WOW!

The Max line of 737s are flawed and not airworthy controlled by safety software that makes them crash. Boeing intend to leave them unairworthy and rewrite the software.

As a former computer programmer I think the MCAS computer put the planes controls in a subroutine that made the plane crash. A subroutine from which the pilots could not escape.

Tragic and a ****ing scandal that must be exposed. This might be the end of Boeing let alone the Max 8.
    The plane is shite.
    Boeing have now returned to "pilot error" line of defence. A plane that doesn't fly as well as it's predecessors, corrected by software that makes it difficult to fly. No wonder passengers are keeping away from the Max 8.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Boeing have now returned to "pilot error" line of defence. A plane that doesn't fly as well as it's predecessors, corrected by software that makes it difficult to fly. No wonder passengers are keeping away from the Max 8.
    Well Boeing can forget that.

Are we supposed to believe that two teams of commercial pilots could not control modern jets in perfect weather and perfect visibility. Pilot error my arse.
    The planes crashed themselves EVEN AFTER the autopilot was disconnected.

Where are the official explanations for these DISASTERS. With the worlwide fleet grounded the operators should be told immediately. What are the USA and Boeing hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Well Boeing can forget that.

Are we supposed to believe that two teams of commercial pilots could not control modern jets in perfect weather and perfect visibility. Pilot error my arse.
    The planes crashed themselves EVEN AFTER the autopilot was disconnected.

Where are the official explanations for these DISASTERS. With the worlwide fleet grounded the operators should be told immediately. What are the USA and Boeing hiding.
    There was an article in The Times a while back that explained the issue. From memory, the engines are further forward on the Max 8 to reduce fuel use when cruising. But, as the engines are further forward more lift on take off is needed with a subsequent need for a steeper (?) angle of take off. But, dodgy software forces the nose down as it is thinking the plane is going to stall. Not good. Boeing issued "what to do" guidance to pilots, if this occurs. It did happen again and the pilots couldn't regain control despite following the amended procedures. I think that was the gist of it and maybe is already covered in the article linked too, above. So....design issue, combined with software issue.....and maybe rushed to market in competition with Airbus (A350?). And when it all goes wrong, to protect the brand image and jobs, blame the pilots.

There was an article in The Times a while back that explained the issue. From memory, the engines are further forward on the Max 8 to reduce fuel use when cruising. But, as the engines are further forward more lift on take off is needed with a subsequent need for a steeper (?) angle of take off. But, dodgy software forces the nose down as it is thinking the plane is going to stall. Not good. Boeing issued "what to do" guidance to pilots, if this occurs. It did happen again and the pilots couldn't regain control despite following the amended procedures. I think that was the gist of it and maybe is already covered in the article linked too, above. So....design issue, combined with software issue.....and maybe rushed to market in competition with Airbus (A350?). And when it all goes wrong, to protect the brand image and jobs, blame the pilots.
    Can’t they override it now, whereas before the software didn’t allow them too? I wouldn’t fly on one mind.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Can’t they override it now, whereas before the software didn’t allow them too? I wouldn’t fly on one mind.
    I might be wrong but, even if they do, the plane thinks it is stalling and overrides the manual override. Something like that. Effectively telling the pilots.."computer says no". Hence some pilots have described flying the Max 8 like being on a bucking bronco, struggling to control it. The old system of warning pilots of a potential stall worked. This plane just appears to be too complicated with conflicting data inputs.

I might be wrong but, even if they do, the plane thinks it is stalling and overrides the manual override. Something like that. Effectively telling the pilots.."computer says no". Hence some pilots have described flying the Max 8 like being on a bucking bronco, struggling to control it. The old system of warning pilots of a potential stall worked. This plane just appears to be too complicated with conflicting data inputs.
    To fit the bigger fuel efficient engines they had to hang them in front of the wing and higher.
    This means a stall angle of attack is more than likely on take off. So software is used to make the plane behave like a properly designed plane.

The 737 was one of the best designed planes ever and was adapted many tines to fit more seats. Safely.

Boeing pushed the envelope too far with the Max8.

The plane with these engines where they are is garbage.

It’s like putting a 5 litre engine in a Lotus Elise and expecting it to handle safely. Ridiculous.

But there is something else involved that we have not been told yet.
    It will be terrifying.
    Like the tragic flights.

this aircraft is doomed isn’t it? At some point the fault will be fixed but surely it’s reputation has been so tarnished so publicly that airlines will fear ordering them? A lot of people already know which aircraft/airline combos should be missed (economy BA on a 787 for example) and enough people already have an irrational fear of flying that they would avoid the 737 Max?