+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Game Of Thrones

Re: Game Of Thrones

Not enjoyed it really. I think what I have realised is, well what I already knew really, and that is that the character depth and development is what has made the show. IN the earlier season the budget wasn't as grand, the game, the scheming, twists were what made it what it was for me.

I did fear that it would be too much to cover in one season and so it seems. The pace has been sped up, main characters have been killed off with rather unspectacular endings (Jaime and Cersei being killed by rubble felt a little bit like cheating).

Jaime's character has been increasingly growing on me, and then at a drop of a hat he is back to not caring about anyone else but his sister.

As said above, it just feels rushed.

There has always been some brutal action and gore but that was the finish to some fantastic scripts, this season it feels like the gore and action is all there really is.

I have sympathy for the writers though, finishing the story under such expectation was always going to be a massive challenge. I wonder how much input George RR Martin has had.

Disappointed also.
    Cersei wouldn’t just roll over like that and Jamie was half feckin dead before somehow scaling all the way from a beach to the red keep.
    Also Arya all of a sudden become a bit of a wimp after seeing off the Night King just two episodes ago?
    Shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not enjoyed it really. I think what I have realised is, well what I already knew really, and that is that the character depth and development is what has made the show. IN the earlier season the budget wasn't as grand, the game, the scheming, twists were what made it what it was for me.

I did fear that it would be too much to cover in one season and so it seems. The pace has been sped up, main characters have been killed off with rather unspectacular endings (Jaime and Cersei being killed by rubble felt a little bit like cheating).

Jaime's character has been increasingly growing on me, and then at a drop of a hat he is back to not caring about anyone else but his sister.

As said above, it just feels rushed.

There has always been some brutal action and gore but that was the finish to some fantastic scripts, this season it feels like the gore and action is all there really is.

I have sympathy for the writers though, finishing the story under such expectation was always going to be a massive challenge. I wonder how much input George RR Martin has had.
    I don’t believe he has had that much even he said they should really do another 2 series to complete all the story lines I expect the books to go in a completely different direction but the ending won’t be far off unless they do something ridiculous next week, what’s pissed me off a bit is we’ve infested all this time in Jon boy and he’s become a bystander and Arya has become the main focus, she had way too much air time the last episode and we only seen Cersei for 2 mins and bang that’s how it ends, Jaime really should’ve killed her and I expect he willin the books even if it’s a mercy death. Now the prophecy is for Jon boy to become the prince that was promised and stick his sword through Danny’s heart. If Arya kills her it will become a pointless tv show

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    But that's the thing, night King didn't want to fight Jon Snow one on one, that's why he raised the dead. He thought Snow was his only threat, then swoop ****ing have that! Here's your real nemesis. Brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue blood View Post
    Agreed and I liked the twist if it being Arya to take out the NK when the build up led us to believe it would be Jon Snow who faced him one on one.

All in all, i really enjoyed that episode. Watched it again tonight in the dark and it's even better!
    The importance of the dagger was revealed earlier when a drawing of it was seen in the scrolls that Sam was reading.

This season has been getting a hammering from critics and viewers alike and, in some ways, I think this can be put down to things not turning out as people wanted them to. That said, I must agree with those who are saying that they have tried to cram far too much into into six episodes with the consequence that character development, which had always been such a strength of Game of Thrones, has all but been forgotten.

On that theme, I suppose Danny was bound to change with the loss of so many trusted advisers and friends (not to mention two of her "children") in such a short space of time and her conversion into cold eyed killing machine could have been made to look perfectly natural if it had been allowed to develop gradually, as it certainly would have been in series' one to six. However, it all seemed to happen in the blink of an eye here and put it together with Jaime Lannister's baffling behaviour in this season and it just comes over as too far fetched.

As for episode 5, I thought it was interesting the way that the focus was on the thousands of innocents that were slaughtered as opposed to the main characters, but there's not much else I can say in it's favour. I've not read any of the books, so maybe I'm missing something here, but since when has dragon fire been able to completely destroy brick and stone structures the moment it touches them? The ease with which King's Landing was breached and the way the Iron Fleet was destroyed made a mockery of what had happened in the previous episode. Also, the fight between Jaime and Euron was embarrassing, with the latter's dying smile to camera while uttering "I'm the man who killed Jaime Lannister" being, surely, the most ludicrous moment in all eight series.

That tussle, along with the Clegane brothers' dual, epitomised the transition in series eight from dialogue based drama to action movie wannabee as interesting characters like Tyrion and Varys (his betrayal and subsequent death felt like another blink and you would have missed it moment) increasingly take a back seat.

Unless episode six is something like four hours long, it's impossible to see how all of the shortcomings of series eight can be put right. I've grown to like the Battle of Winterfell episode, but the other three of the first four episodes would surely have been better served by focusing on the changes important players in the drama were going through rather than the opportunity to say goodbye to minor players and the "we're all going to die" preparation that episode two especially was. That's why I can't excuse the writers as easily as some others have - the standard has been poor throughout this series and Game Of Thrones wouldn't have got past series two if it had started with such slipshod writing.

Apparently the writers are scheduled for new tv shows so there was this rush job done.
    I think i will give these shows amiss as i dont want to waste 6 7 seasons just for them to do a hatchet job at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Apparently the writers are scheduled for new tv shows so there was this rush job done.
    I think i will give these shows amiss as i dont want to waste 6 7 seasons just for them to do a hatchet job at the end.
    They are also doing another star wars movie. Pacing in this series is all wrong

Another load of holes in this episode, notably the complete change in personality of Danaeris, Jaime Lannister's likewise, in just a couple of episodes.

Can't stand action movies especially fantasy ones and this series sucks on all fronts.

They'd have been better leaving it at seven series with loads of open ends.
    Shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Another load of holes in this episode, notably the complete change in personality of Danaeris, Jaime Lannister's likewise, in just a couple of episodes.

Can't stand action movies especially fantasy ones and this series sucks on all fronts.

They'd have been better leaving it at seven series with loads of open ends.
    Shocking!
    Just feels quite odd.

Even in the space of a minute during the conversation he has with Tyrion Jaime goes from not caring if everyone in Kings landing dies to being convinced he must get Cersei to surrender. Also the part where he didn't think to take his arm off, he's many things but not naive.

Daenarys needed a few seasons of transforming into a raging psychopath, I just don't buy her throwing away seasons of having compassion, freeing slaves and the innocent to suddenly burning everyone. She has always had psychotic traits but the change has been far too quick.

And the situation where the iron fleet kill her dragon...even tho historically ships are very vulnerable to the air....cos they have A Birds Eye View then in this episode she destroys them in 3 minutes. Awful writing

Seasons 7 and 8 are too rushed.

Still compelling drama but could have been so much better if it wasn't such a race to the finishing line.

I don't mind Dany going full psycho (The Mad Queen) but too many other characters and story lines have been yanked out of kilter.

Whatever happened to Ellaria Sand? Last seen in Cersei's dungeon (S7 E2) after being captured by Euron. She was responsible for the death of Cersei's daughter so bad things were in store. But she has disappeared totally. Buried in the rubble of the Red Keep?

I was very harsh in my original comments on this thread, unfortunately not much has changed my mind. I agree with the previous comments that it is a pacing issue.

Danny turning mad is a good twist however it was so rushed and not developed enough to make it impact-full,

The reason I believe most characters are doing things which feel out of character is also due to being rushed, Jamie going back to Cersei could have also been a good surprise if there was developments leading up to his decision.

I really hated Tyrion turning on Varys, since when has talking treason been so against his values? especially while he is conflicted on the matter just as much as Varys was. He seemed content and accepting of Vary's fate, while he would previous beg for lives of people such as the Tarly's. She knew anyway so would have been much better to kill him against Tyrions will and to his horror, would have made the scene more powerful and developed her going Mad at a better pace

I really enjoyed the last episode, it was a spectacular bit of TV - I saw one reference saying the scene where the dragon burns down the gate with the Golden Company in front of it involved setting 21 stuntmen on fire, the most ever in the history of film and TVin one scene. Yes, the pacing is a bit rushed, especially as the early part of the series really allowed characters to develop but they have to finish it and Daenrys going mad and Jamie returning to Cersei isn't a stretch too far ( you could see where they were going with the dragon queen last series). There was also a very touching powerful scene between Jamie and Tyron when he released him and said he was the only person who didn't treat him as a monster when Jamie had done so many evil things in the past.

It would have been more satisfying to conclude the series over 10 episodes but I don't understand the internet "hate" for the last episode, it really was spectacular TV

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I really enjoyed the last episode, it was a spectacular bit of TV - I saw one reference saying the scene where the dragon burns down the gate with the Golden Company in front of it involved setting 21 stuntmen on fire, the most ever in the history of film and TVin one scene. Yes, the pacing is a bit rushed, especially as the early part of the series really allowed characters to develop but they have to finish it and Daenrys going mad and Jamie returning to Cersei isn't a stretch too far ( you could see where they were going with the dragon queen last series). There was also a very touching powerful scene between Jamie and Tyron when he released him and said he was the only person who didn't treat him as a monster when Jamie had done so many evil things in the past.

It would have been more satisfying to conclude the series over 10 episodes but I don't understand the internet "hate" for the last episode, it really was spectacular TV
    There in lies the problem though they went for spectacular cgi and ignored the dialogue which most people would’ve preferred the opposite, I don’t think any one can argue that no matter what they do someone is going to be upset but you can’t invest 8-10 years in a story then shit all over it right at the end to shock people or make it look spectacular

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    There in lies the problem though they went for spectacular cgi and ignored the dialogue which most people would’ve preferred the opposite, I don’t think any one can argue that no matter what they do someone is going to be upset but you can’t invest 8-10 years in a story then shit all over it right at the end to shock people or make it look spectacular
    Weren’t people expecting the spectacular? There was a lot of hype about how expensive this series was. It would have been more disappointing if there wasn’t any spectacular battle scenes to finish the series

Weren’t people expecting the spectacular? There was a lot of hype about how expensive this series was. It would have been more disappointing if there wasn’t any spectacular battle scenes to finish the series
    They only needed to spend big on 2 episodes but no need to go over the top imo especially not to the extent they have that seriously hurts the story line, I'm convinced Arya only killed the knight king because she's a women and that seems to be the in thing now with the me too movement I don't really mind her killing him but there has to be some reasoning behind it ffs she didn't even know who they were 2 episodes ago then she's busting Jon's balls don't forget who you are and where you come from blah blah blah then ****s off to kings landing herself swearing never to come back it's become obvious dumb and dumber haven't really taken any advice from George and without the books directing them they haven't got a clue, let's just hope he actually finishes the books

Depends what you see as spectacular - generally speaking, the sort of flashy and expensive graphics seen in the last episode don't do it for me, especially when you have a product as good as this programme has been until this series. There have been spectacular and very effective battle scenes in Game of Thrones before (e.g. Battle of the Bastards which I have called the most effective battle scene I've ever seen on film or television on here - it was far more realistic for me than the one in this week's episode).

I thought series 7 was a bit of a downturn in quality, but series 8 has been another level again - the balance between dialogue and action used to be just right, it has swing far too much in favour of the latter in this series.

GOT quiz - 80 questions.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...f-thrones-quiz

I got 63.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

And I’ve loved this season.

Heisenberg