+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would have Emiliano Sala have kept us up?

Would have Emiliano Sala have kept us up?

If it wasn't for the tragic accident?

I suppose we will never know, but what are your thoughts, with so many failed Strikers recently, would have have really made the difference???

Re: Would have Emiliano Sala have kept us up?

We don’t create enough chances for our strikers, so much so that their conversion rate has to be excellent.
    Sala’s conversion rate for this season was one of the best in Europe I believe and I do believe he would’ve bagged a couple of goals but probably not enough to keep us up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    We don’t create enough chances for our strikers, so much so that their conversion rate has to be excellent.
    Sala’s conversion rate for this season was one of the best in Europe I believe and I do believe he would’ve bagged a couple of goals but probably not enough to keep us up.
    My response was going to be along the lines of this.

Spot on really.

We are not great to watch if we're being honest.

Even when we win it isn't like we're peppering the goal.
    We usually just convert the two or three chances we get and shut out the other team.

He would have been our best hope,certainly better than our other 'strikers '

My thought at the beginning of the season was that without a semi-decent striker we would have no chance of staying up - but the team overachieved and a striker worthy of the name who could have just scored a few goals from January onwards would have done the trick. Although it is true to say that the team creates few chances for strikers we do have a very motley collection of players who just aren't effective in that respect. Madine, Zohore and Niasse all proved disappointing and/or profligate.

The reasons the strikers are failing is because we play with 10 in our own half. Niasse is piss poor don’t get me wrong but he hardly gets chances

As long as our wingers are told to track back rather than attack, no striker will succeed here

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    The reasons the strikers are failing is because we play with 10 in our own half. Niasse is piss poor don’t get me wrong but he hardly gets chances

As long as our wingers are told to track back rather than attack, no striker will succeed here
    Niasse is probably hugely surprised when the ball comes to him

I would love to think that he would have kept the team up, and that's how i'll remember him.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Niasse is probably hugely surprised when the ball comes to him
    He seems surprised by everything! I've moved from row U to row D this season and it gives a whole new view on things. Niasse just seems to be remote & not concentrating most of the time.

The biggest eye opener was watching Man City's pre-match warm-up, so intense and a replica of their one touch receive/pass/move in the game, highly impressive and light years ahead of any other teams warm-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    If it wasn't for the tragic accident?

I suppose we will never know, but what are your thoughts, with so many failed Strikers recently, would have have really made the difference???
    The question is; Would've Warnock changed things in order to compliment him? I suspect not. It's quite likely that Sala would've been as isolated and lonely as the rest of our strikers, he may have been of a higher calibre and on form, but he still would've had to have produced something pretty special in order to score goals in this team, and those goals would've probably been solo efforts like turning the defender from deep. From what i saw of sala he looked very strong when attacking crosses and with Warnocks only outlet for feeding our strikers are our wingers then i'm guessing that was what Warnock was hoping for. We don't have good strikers at this level but in their defence they're pissing in the wind when it comes to support and service both are non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    .....he may have been of a higher calibre and on form.....
    In fact, he'd scored one goal in his previous eight games and none in five.

I reckon it's impossible to say how Sala would have done given the gulf in class between the Premier League and the French Ligue 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In fact, he'd scored one goal in his previous eight games and none in five.

I reckon it's impossible to say how Sala would have done given the gulf in class between the Premier League and the French Ligue 1.
    That's on form compared to our strikers! I think that he would have found things very difficult, the way we play. I actually feel sorry for Zohore, Niasse etc, they get no support whatsoever.

I dont think he would terribly sad he died but its about supply as well as buying a lone striker

That's on form compared to our strikers! I think that he would have found things very difficult, the way we play. I actually feel sorry for Zohore, Niasse etc, they get no support whatsoever.
    That may be true about no support in general but Niasse has had plenty of chances you’d expect a Premier League striker to score.

At least Eddie finally scored!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That may be true about no support in general but Niasse has had plenty of chances you’d expect a Premier League striker to score.

Wasn't it West Ham where he had about 4 chances? I gave up with him after that. Dreadful

Has he had plenty? I know he's had a few, West Ham and Fulham he could've let his shot go a couple of times.Let's face it, he's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Wasn't it West Ham where he had about 4 chances? I gave up with him after that. Dreadful
    Yes

The one where he did well to get himself clean through on goal and, well, I don’t know what the **** happened next,

Has he had plenty? I know he's had a few, West Ham and Fulham he could've let his shot go a couple of times.Let's face it, he's crap.
    He played really well against Arsenal without scoring to be fair and because prior to that we had Pato upfront who can’t exactly link the play then people thought he would be a good addition once he added goals to his play.

Unfortunately that didn’t happen. Quite the opposite. He hasn’t scored and his all round play lately hasn’t been as good as his first few games but like you said he gets no support so it’s easy to get down on yourself as a striker.

Let’s be fair here. If we were all fans of another team, we’d all want Cardiff City relegated. We’ve been gash all season, and brought the middle of a doughnut to the Premier league.
    Considering it’s so hard to get up from the championship, our approach from investment to tactics have been nothing short of woeful.
    To have expected Sala to come to our rescue with the way we play would have been pushing it to say the least.

While its impossible to say with certainty, I think his contribution would have helped keep us up. He would have held up play and brought other players with him better than the other strikers we have.
    Most importantly is if we look at the chances that have been missed at set pieces by Morrison and others, then if he'd bagged just a few of those we would have a higher points tally and possibly be above Brighton.
    Niasse when he first arrived linked up very well with Reid. Anyone know why that 'partnership' has not been utilised much since?

He played really well against Arsenal without scoring to be fair and because prior to that we had Pato upfront who can’t exactly link the play then people thought he would be a good addition once he added goals to his play.

Unfortunately that didn’t happen. Quite the opposite. He hasn’t scored and his all round play lately hasn’t been as good as his first few games but like you said he gets no support so it’s easy to get down on yourself as a striker.
    I went mad at the game against Fulham there was 3 times we broke in the first half Niasse, NML and Victor dnd every time there was 3/4 Fulham players v each one of them and not a single blue shirt in support it’s diabolical I swear Warnock instructs that only 1 of them can actually run at them at a time “ my lads are smashing but only one in the opposition half at a time”

The problem is you just don’t know how players will take to the game over here I did like the look of him from what I saw on YouTube but he always had a runner either side of him here the midfield is 20 odd yards away from you

he would have scored a few, he looked like a player who gave 100%

if them few were in close games, his goals could well have kept us up

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Niasse when he first arrived linked up very well with Reid. Anyone know why that 'partnership' has not been utilised much since?
    I’ve said this so many times. It’s criminal Bobby didn’t get more of a chance.

Back to the op, I think Sala might have sparked our season. He seemed so committed and determined, and he knew where the goal was. We will never know sadly..

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Let’s be fair here. If we were all fans of another team, we’d all want Cardiff City relegated. We’ve been gash all season, and brought the middle of a doughnut to the Premier league.
    Considering it’s so hard to get up from the championship, our approach from investment to tactics have been nothing short of woeful.
    To have expected Sala to come to our rescue with the way we play would have been pushing it to say the least.
    Agree 100%.