+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Help Required

O/T Help Required

Not sure if anyone one here can help with either advice or in a practical way.

My brother who has been a city fan for 50 years and has also been a season ticket holder is in hospital.

The bungalow he lives in has deteriorated over time as he's been unable to keep up with repairs - partly because he's been on the wrong benefits so has had his Railway Pension money deducted from his benefits rather than have that in addition as invalidity benefit.

Anyway, the upshot is to get him back on his feet and discharged from hospital into his home of nearly 60 years there are some specific items that need to be addressed, if anyone can point me in the direction of anyone who would be able to carry out the following without ripping him off it would be greatly appreciated - also if anyone is going to offer their services bear in mind the house does need "a bit of a clean" which I will sort out once the important repairs are sorted.

1. There is a leak from a water pipe in the attic - being a bungalow ( nearly 100 years old ) the piping is in the attic - need this either repaired or possibly just capped off - the pipe I believe feeds a tap which is no longer used.

2. Boiler - the boiler has electric and seems to pump water but won't light - this could be because the flue is covered with ivy on the outside ( which I'm getting removed ), but I need someone to see what's required - it's a combi which is about 15 years old max.

3. Shower - About 20 years old a triton t70, my brother said it went very hot one day and then just stopped. There is electric to it so I'm thinking the element has probably just burned out - I would think it's just a case of remove and replace with new unit.

4.Electrics - because of the the leak in the attic and kitchenette ( which is not used at the moment ) i think the fuse has stopped the other lights working ( sockets are fine - my brother has been using bedside lights for the last year or so ! ). I thin whats needed here is the fuse replaced ( looks like an old fuse box where you put the wire in yourself ) and the kitchenette bit disconnected and made safe - this can probably happen after the leak is fixed.

If i can get this sorted for my brother on a minimal budget he can come back home and at least have a decent standard of living whilst I try and apply for grants and benefits and to other charities to help with the other work.

Sorry for the long winded post but hoping someone in the CCFC brotherhood can help.

Re: O/T Help Required

Where does he live. If he's in Cardiff I can pop in and take a look at the boiler and plumbing issues for you.

Also my mate works for Cardiff Council and could give advice or practical help with benefits and grants.

speak to the occupational therapists in hospital mate and ask for care and repair they should sort it all out and other things they may find and it should all be funded for you good luck

I recently posted on the go fund me thread that I thought it was silly City fans are giving up their hard earned money to fund a Warnock fine, while there is already enough money in the game and surely in his bank.

Most people seem to feel the same way with it only raising 2.5% of its goal, however that £500 could make the world of difference to a proper city fan like this.

I would recommend contacting these people regarding the boiler.
    My mate has his replaced in 2 weeks.
    https://nest.gov.wales/en/

He needs a support worker as well. A good place to start is your local citizens advice.
    Age concern cmyru as well they help people over 50 these days

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Where does he live. If he's in Cardiff I can pop in and take a look at the boiler and plumbing issues for you.

Also my mate works for Cardiff Council and could give advice or practical help with benefits and grants.
    Nice one. That's exceptionally kind of you and I hope the OP takes your kind offer up. Also the City Council contact could be invaluable recalling that my mother had £20k's worth of work done for her to enable her to continue living at home.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I would recommend contacting these people regarding the boiler.
    My mate has his replaced in 2 weeks.
    https://nest.gov.wales/en/
    Thanks Danny - Have done that now