+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A disappointing performance tonight ending our season at home.

A disappointing performance tonight ending our season at home.

Once again, needing to win we often looked as if we didn’t. And when we had chances we fluffed them.
    in the final stages alone NML had a golden opportunity to shoot and bottled it. Zohore had a one on one with the keeper and chose the wrong option. Hoilett did all the hard work and then skied his shot. The story of our season along with giving the ball to the opposition far too often.

Losing Camarasa was a blow.

I am sorry, despite expecting it, to see us relegated.
    Yes it has been frustrating at times, and there were poor performances especially against other lower ranked teams, but the crowds have been good, the fans mostly very supportive, we have witnessed some good and more so, brave, performances.
    The quality of the squad simply is not good enough. They have individually all tried to do their best, some more than others, but they have tried. As has been said before we are team of players in the Premiership, not premiership players.

So it’s back to the Championship where expectations will be higher and disappointment less acceptable.

If NW stays then I hope there will be a realisation that the best chance of winning is to deny the opposition the ball.
    And if Manga stays, as I hope he does, then he must only play at Centre Back.

Re: A disappointing performance tonight ending our season at home.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

If NW stays then I hope there will be a realisation that the best chance of winning is to deny the opposition the ball..
    Not sure the stats back this comment up.

Eg, Wolves. 39% possession today v Fulham at home. Not at all uncommon for them

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Not sure the stats back this comment up.

Eg, Wolves. 39% possession today v Fulham at home. Not at all uncommon for them
    The possession stats don't worry me, it's how we constantly give the ball back to the opposition in every area of the pitch, that shows that when we do have the ball there isn't really plan and a massive lack of options. It's ok not to have the ball, but there has to be a plan when we do and under Warnock the plan is crude and basic. Warnock should really ask himself some questions about how he wants the game played at this level as it has failed for him on every occasion. He'll stay next season, and if we do go up he wont be in charge in the Premier league, not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The possession stats don't worry me, it's how we constantly give the ball back to the opposition in every area of the pitch, that shows that when we do have the ball there isn't really plan and a massive lack of options. It's ok not to have the ball, but there has to be a plan when we do and under Warnock the plan is crude and basic. Warnock should really ask himself some questions about how he wants the game played at this level as it has failed for him on every occasion. He'll stay next season, and if we do go up he wont be in charge in the Premier league, not a chance.
    You expressed it better than I. We win the ball, we give it away far too often.
    Etheridge has the highest % by far of kicking away possession because we do not pick up his kicks. The official stat a couple of weeks ago showed that on over 350 occasions our throw ins went to the opposition. The list goes on and in open play we don’t find players to pass to because often those players are not in space.
    You only have to look at how hard Palace worked yesterday to find space and get players forward on every break. When we do it we look good to but more often our players stand and watch.

It not about a possession stat. It’s about making better use of the minimal possession that we might have. Whatever the league.

The more interesting stats from yesterday were shots on target and corners:

Shots on target: City 8 Palace 7
    Corners: City 10 Palace 5

Opportunities to score but still lost the game.

We created some decent chances but the gulf in quality was so apparent in that game. Regardless of our plan or set-up it just seemed to me they had much better players.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    We created some decent chances but the gulf in quality was so apparent in that game. Regardless of our plan or set-up it just seemed to me they had much better players.
    So so true sadly