+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Did we miss Sol Bamba?

Did we miss Sol Bamba?

In the run in, did we miss his leadership on the field? I think we looked defensively better without him, but did we miss his influence?

Re: Did we miss Sol Bamba?

To be honest, it was the kind of game he might have scored in. He does have a knack of coming up with important goals.

No we didnt miss him in fact we are now stuck with him for another 2 seasons till he is nearly 36....... as i had warned when we gave him a 3 year contract

He will do ok in the championship, as will bobby and all the others

Perhaps the way to answer that is to look at our midfield: Ralls out, Arter out, Gunnarson reportedly playing with a knock, Camarasa off after 20 minutes. If Bamba had gone off after 20 minutes yesterday who would have slotted into CB position? Team was poor against Fulham but how much of that was not being able to rotate and struggling to match intensity of Brighton win and Liverpool good first 45 minutes?

Of course we missed him. We also missed Paterson, Arter, Ralls and Camerasa when he went off.
    The squad was threadbare.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In the run in, did we miss his leadership on the field? I think we looked defensively better without him, but did we miss his influence?
    I don't think that we missed him, on occasions, Bamba is a liability, he lacks discipline and follows the ball not the runner. Somebody mentioned him getting the odd goal, although he's not there for that, his job is to defend, if he gets a goal then that's a bonus.

I'm a big fan of Bamba he defends aggressively and when you do that you are going to get caught a few times. There is no stat that will say how many possible goals he stops by playing like this.

Manga did well in centre back but I've got no issue with the 3 centre backs I think it's our strongest position.

Morrison should have scored a lot more but then he should have won about 7 penalties.

Manga is excellent at defending one on one, but is possibly the worst passer in the league, however in his defence we don't play that game

Can you imagine how many more goals we would’ve conceded, I love sol but he’s just got too many mistakes in him

Yep but we was always going to miss someone. Squad depth cost us

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I really thought that we would, and maybe we did from the goals scoring perspective (he did have a knack or scoring important goals), but defensively we didn't seem to. That said, I haven't analysed our goals conceded ratio both with and without Sol playing - that would be interesting to see.

I think that his undoubted on-field leadership qualities are probably equally offset by his occasional lapses which have cost us.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Of course we missed him. We also missed Paterson, Arter, Ralls and Camerasa when he went off.
    The squad was threadbare.
    Yep , spot on .

Rumor has it were signing a guy called Jazz Richards for next season.

I thought Sol was a big miss. Morrison was appaling in the vast majority of games he played. I think a Bamba, Manga partnership was by far the best. Maybe if sol had stayed fit Morrison would have been dropped

Huge miss, he'd have filled the vacuum left in midfield with so many injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Huge miss, he'd have filled the vacuum left in midfield with so many injuries.
    Exactly. So I'm going to go with "blessing in disguise". I enjoyed seeing Bobby Reid play last weekend.