+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: “Plucky little Cardiff City” take their leave of the Premier League.

Banned

Re: “Plucky little Cardiff City” take their leave of the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You're on a winner with this, I can see it catching on.
    Somewhere along the way, football fans have gone from talking about right backs, terrible defending and strikers who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo to talking about year accounts as if it is part of the deal. Gradually, they have even been fooled into believing that a profit and dividends for shareholders is important.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Somewhere along the way, football fans have gone from talking about right backs, terrible defending and strikers who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo to talking about year accounts as if it is part of the deal. Gradually, they have even been fooled into believing that a profit and dividends for shareholders is important.
    I think it's more to do with the fact that we nearly got wound up by the revenue due to irresponsible spending a while back and that it's probably worth risking a little less going forward - I personally would have been happy with a bit more spending this season and certainly would have been happier if we'd had a real go at Fulham on the pitch last week - but I'm quite happy with where we are as a club at the moment and optimistic about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Maybe thats why it was a bonus season
    Maybe. Overall, did you enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    I think it's more to do with the fact that we nearly got wound up by the revenue due to irresponsible spending a while back......
    It was almost a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Aye, it’s hard to imagine how any goings-on off the field could actually effect the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It was almost a decade ago.
    Yes, a while back.

Maybe. Overall, did you enjoy it?
    Enjoying a rancid cess pit of money and cheating is quite difficult.
    There were some enjoyable moments though.

Yes, a while back.
    And yet the club subsequently indulged in some 'irresponsible spending' and I don't recall any fans complaining about it.

I don't think there's much of a link between what happened in 2009/10 and what's happening now. I think what happened in 2012/13/14 is far more prevalent in the minds of the men who are running the show, although it's difficult to work out what their strategy actually is - assuming they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Enjoying a rancid cess pit of money and cheating is quite difficult.
    There were some enjoyable moments though.
    If the Premier League isn't enjoyable (and there are plenty of fans who express those sentiments), I'd guess it must also make the Championship less enjoyable. After all, if the prize for success in the Championship is promotion to the Premier League, then it seems a bit hollow.

If the Premier League isn't enjoyable (and there are plenty of fans who express those sentiments), I'd guess it must also make the Championship less enjoyable. After all, if the prize for success in the Championship is promotion to the Premier League, then it seems a bit hollow.
    You're definitely on good wind up form today TLG! 😀

And yet the club subsequently indulged in some 'irresponsible spending' and I don't recall any fans complaining about it.

I don't think there's much of a link between what happened in 2009/10 and what's happening now. I think what happened in 2012/13/14 is far more prevalent in the minds of the men who are running the show, although it's difficult to work out what their strategy actually is - assuming they have one.
    Yes, I think some of the subsequent spending was done with the view of that being needed to get to the PL and stay there, when only half of that transpired there were distinct and obvious cut-backs which continued right up until this season, and this season was done on a tight budget which most fans expected and said they were happy with before the season began.

I still maintain I think this strategy would have just about worked if not for the Sala tragedy - but I'll guess we'll never know.. onwards and upwards.. I feel we're in a better position now as a club going forward then we have been for a long, ong time - so I'm happy.

It's football FFS, no need to have an existential crisis about it! The stadium full and loud for the whole season would suggest it was enjoyable, if we are competing next season it will be enjoyable - if your'e so concerned about people's enjoyment, can I suggest you stop posting here please...!

Yes, I think some of the subsequent spending was done with the view of that being needed to get to the PL and stay there, when only half of that transpired there were distinct and obvious cut-backs which continued right up until this season, and this season was done on a tight budget which most fans expected and said they were happy with before the season began.

I still maintain I think this strategy would have just about worked if not for the Sala tragedy - but I'll guess we'll never know.. onwards and upwards.. I feel we're in a better position now as a club going forward then we have been for a long, ong time - so I'm happy.
    Fair enough. I can't argue with that as you may well be right. To be honest, I've absolutely no idea what Tan's plans for the club are and I'm confused by the way he's going about things, but I guess there's as much chance that he's steering it in the right direction as on the opposite course. With so few clues we'll just have to wait and see.

It's football FFS, no need to have an existential crisis about it! The stadium full and loud for the whole season would suggest it was enjoyable, if we are competing next season it will be enjoyable - if your'e so concerned about people's enjoyment, can I suggest you stop posting here please...!
    It would, but then plenty of people suggest it wasn't enjoyable.

No big deal. As you say, it's only football, and it goes on and on and on and on.....

It would, but then plenty of people suggest it wasn't enjoyable.

No big deal. As you say, it's only football, and it goes on and on and on and on.....

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I could say more, but I'll just ask one question - is an Academy that has produced one player (currently on loan to Port Vale, but not in their eighteen yesterday) who has started a league match for the first team in the last five seasons (and that was just one end of season affair with nothing riding on it) yet costs I believe in excess of a million pounds a year to run a sign of a well run club?
    It suggests the academy is not well run or it could be as simple as the talent hasnt been there.

Last 5 years who are the local lads weve missed out on who could have been playing a part this season or who could be part of the promotion charge next season?

Some of the comments are laughable. League 1 in recruitment scouting etc. Not to mention the way we play.

How the feck did we get promoted then?

The same scouting and recruiting team that got us NML Etheridge Patterson Bennett for peanuts.

League 1 LMFAO.

Fulham's last sub yesterday was 16 years old. Our last sub was Junior Hoilett. What more do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Fulham's last sub yesterday was 16 years old. Our last sub was Junior Hoilett. What more do you need?
    Yeah, Fulham a guiding light and really showing the right way to go about things this season....

The prize is less enjoyable than the success imo and will continue to be until the Premier league bubble burst or the ffp rules are implimented or changed to include the top 6 clubs.
    It's laughable to suggest that Man City would afford their squad without their Arab ownership.

Yeah, Fulham a guiding light and really showing the right way to go about things this season....
    Not the point i was making.. And i think it might be a guiding light for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It suggests the academy is not well run or it could be as simple as the talent hasnt been there.

Last 5 years who are the local lads weve missed out on who could have been playing a part this season or who could be part of the promotion charge next season?
    You didn't answer my question, you said we were a well run club, is an Academy that works so poorly indicative of a well run club?

Is that what City's debts were at the end of last season? Not a rhetorical question. I genuinely don't know.

Having said that, I don't know what levels of debt any of the other clubs have either.
    I’m not sure exactly but it was around that as VT converted debt to equity. Good it’s going down but do the clubs we are competing against have such issues? Not only did we have by far the lowest wages but our starting eleven cost peanuts compared to all other clubs

Not for the first time in recent years, I've struggled to understand the mindset of the fanbase when it comes to the Premier League. There seemed to be a real inferiority complex this season with most fans readily accepting relegation before a ball had been kicked. It was described as 'a bonus season' by some. I didn't get that at all.

The Premier League includes Wolves, Leicester, Watford, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton and Brighton. Are any of those eight clubs bigger than Cardiff City in terms of fanbase and potential? Personally, I don't think so. Several are significantly smaller. Nevertheless, there seems to belief among City supporters that it's unrealistic to expect the Bluebirds to achieve what those clubs have. It's strange.
    We had basically a Championship team playing in the Premier League, plus Warnock failed to address the fact that we needed a decent striker pre-season.That was our biggest Achilles heel. Hence, yeah, it was a 'bonus season', especially when you consider where we were when he took us over

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You didn't answer my question, you said we were a well run club, is an Academy that works so poorly indicative of a well run club?
    I cant answer because i dont know how good or how poorly our academy is run. My interest really is all about the 1st team.

Since ive been a fan ive seen record crowds vocal support i see a great stadium. United fans not slagging the team the board etc.

Things arent perfect.

Weve had an ex fan on here going on about us expecting relegation from the start as if thats something new.

Short memories. I remember expecting relegation to Division 4 and our better players being sold off to the likes of Oxford.

The current set up has seen us to the League Championship and a promotion and a stadium expansion which showed its worth this season.

Im more than happy with the way the club is run.

Needs improvement obviously.

👍