+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: “Plucky little Cardiff City” take their leave of the Premier League.

“Plucky little Cardiff City” take their leave of the Premier League.

Re: “Plucky little Cardiff City” take their leave of the Premier League.

Not for the first time in recent years, I've struggled to understand the mindset of the fanbase when it comes to the Premier League. There seemed to be a real inferiority complex this season with most fans readily accepting relegation before a ball had been kicked. It was described as 'a bonus season' by some. I didn't get that at all.

The Premier League includes Wolves, Leicester, Watford, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton and Brighton. Are any of those eight clubs bigger than Cardiff City in terms of fanbase and potential? Personally, I don't think so. Several are significantly smaller. Nevertheless, there seems to belief among City supporters that it's unrealistic to expect the Bluebirds to achieve what those clubs have. It's strange.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not for the first time in recent years, I've struggled to understand the mindset of the fanbase when it comes to the Premier League. There seemed to be a real inferiority complex this season with most fans readily accepting relegation before a ball had been kicked. It was described as 'a bonus season' by some. I didn't get that at all.

The Premier League includes Wolves, Leicester, Watford, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton and Brighton. Are any of those eight clubs bigger than Cardiff City in terms of fanbase and potential? Personally, I don't think so. Several are significantly smaller. Nevertheless, there seems to belief among City supporters that it's unrealistic to expect the Bluebirds to achieve what those clubs have. It's strange.
    Add the jacks to that. 7 or 8 years in the Premier league.

It’s not about the size of the club. The championship has as many clubs bigger than us than the premier league does! Using things like catchment area and history anyway. League 1 has a couple of clubs bigger than us also.

It’s about what happens on the pitch. Every week we play sides who have players in key areas who would massively improve our side and who can hurt us. We don’t have anyone like that who the opposition would be worried about or want from us.

Until the club make appointments at board level of serious football people then I think we will continue to make it up as we go along with the consequences we see today.

Tan, Ken and Dalman failed to develop a strategy which would have given us a good chance of establishing ourselves as a Premier League side. We have greater potential than Palace or Burnley or Bournemouth and others but have squandered an opportunity which we may not see again and those crowds of 30k+ will become a distant memory.

The lack of football knowledge at the top has allowed Warnock free reign following his arrival. A Premier League club is a massive internationally known institution generating way over a hundred million pounds of revenue every season. It cannot be healthy to have one man making practically every football decision in such an organisation, particularly one so idiosyncratic as Warnock. As an example, who at the club would have dared question him over the highly surprising inclusion of Rhys Healey, following loan spells at Newport, Torquay and MK Dons, in a Premier League squad? Healey’s agent, James Warnock, must have been as amazed as anyone when he started getting on the pitch ahead of Ł10m signing Bobby Decordova-Reid, a player several classes apart.

I hope the club will reflect on an opportunity lost, learn the lessons and make the big decisions required in the summer. Doing nothing, crossing fingers and hoping Warnock pulls off another miracle in is in my view no way to run our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    It’s not about the size of the club. The championship has as many clubs bigger than us than the premier league does!
    I wonder if fans of Norwich or Sheffield United are looking at 2019/20 as 'a bonus season'?

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Until the club make appointments at board level of serious football people then I think we will continue to make it up as we go along with the consequences we see today.

Tan, Ken and Dalman failed to develop a strategy which would have given us a good chance of establishing ourselves as a Premier League side. We have greater potential than Palace or Burnley or Bournemouth and others but have squandered an opportunity which we may not see again and those crowds of 30k+ will become a distant memory.

The lack of football knowledge at the top has allowed Warnock free reign following his arrival. A Premier League club is a massive internationally known institution generating way over a hundred million pounds of revenue every season. It cannot be healthy to have one man making practically every football decision in such an organisation, particularly one so idiosyncratic as Warnock. As an example, who at the club would have dared question him over the highly surprising inclusion of Rhys Healey, following loan spells at Newport, Torquay and MK Dons, in a Premier League squad? Healey’s agent, James Warnock, must have been as amazed as anyone when he started getting on the pitch ahead of Ł10m signing Bobby Decordova-Reid, a player several classes apart.

I hope the club will reflect on an opportunity lost, learn the lessons and make the big decisions required in the summer. Doing nothing, crossing fingers and hoping Warnock pulls off another miracle in is in my view no way to run our club.
    Good post.

I wonder if fans of Norwich or Sheffield United are looking at 2019/20 as 'a bonus season'?
    I bet some are.
    A good season would have been 4th from bottom but ultimately Warnock and the club failed.
    The bonus for the club was the revenue plus parachute payments which have replaced the parachute payments that have just run out.

I’d say the main reason fans (myself included), had the “treat it as a bonus attitude”,was that from the outset, there seemed very little enthusiasm, ambition and investment from the board, and it trickled down to the fan base.
    I, along with many others on here posted threads before a ball was kicked, that we’d struggle and go straight back down, and were shouted down as being pessimistic, negative and “not real City fans”.
    I gave my opinion, then spent the whole season going to as many games home and away, as I could manage, and getting right behind the team, as I have done for the last 40 odd yrs, but never once saw anything to change my mind on what I had said at the start.
    I think our fans have been absolutely top drawer this season. We’ve got behind the team every week home and away, which is to be commended when you think of the dross we’ve had to put up with from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’d say the main reason fans (myself included), had the “treat it as a bonus attitude”,was that from the outset, there seemed very little enthusiasm, ambition and investment from the board, and it trickled down to the fan base.
    That's sort of what I mean. There appears to be very little dissent these days. It's seems strange to me that fans readily accept failure. Perhaps the club became so damaged during the rebrand era that many supporters are simply content with the current status quo.

Banned

That's sort of what I mean. There appears to be very little dissent these days. It's seems strange to me that fans readily accept failure. Perhaps the club became so damaged during the rebrand era that many supporters are simply content with the current status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good post.
    Seconded.

Ha! It’s got nothing to do with the rebrand! The rebrand long forgotten in the real world
    -as it always was going to be.

Good to see our fans having brains. The players have done their best but arent good enough. Warnock also is just not good enough. Yes we could have spent Ł200 milion and got someone like ranieri in to get us all excited for 5 minutes but realistically we know this would not have worked and we’ve been through enough turmoil to want to go through that again.

People are grateful for having a well run club (of course with faults but overall choo and dalman not doing too badly). People at the games can see that.

The rebrand is just a small footnote in our history already.

Yup, there was a noticeable inferiority complex amongst many of the fans. It trickled down from Warnock with his constant references to "Little Ol' Us".

I accept that it's sometimes part of a manager's psychology to take the pressure off his team, however, it was bordering on the Slade-esque (Russel Slade would even manage to big-up the likes of Burton Albion before a match).

What kind of dissent do you mean? Sounding off on message boards and Twitter? Booing during games?

I'm not sure that doing either is productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yup, there was a noticeable inferiority complex amongst many of the fans. It trickled down from Warnock with his constant references to "Little Ol' Us".

I accept that it's sometimes part of a manager's psychology to take the pressure off his team, however, it was bordering on the Slade-esque (Russel Slade would even manage to big-up the likes of Burton Albion before a match).
    Warnock did this all of last season when we got 90 points. He used to big us up when he managed against us, even when we were shit. Its just what he does publicly.

Ha! It’s got nothing to do with the rebrand! The rebrand long forgotten in the real world

Good to see our fans having brains. The players have done their best but arent good enough. Warnock also is just not good enough. Yes we could have spent Ł200 milion and got someone like ranieri in to get us all excited for 5 minutes but realistically we know this would not have worked and we’ve been through enough turmoil to want to go through that again.

People are grateful for having a well run club (of course with faults but overall choo and dalman not doing too badly). People at the games can see that.

Why do you think that would not have worked?

I'd have thought that would have given us a very real chance of being a Premier League club next season (not that that scenario would have ever played out).

Warnock did this all of last season when we got 90 points. He used to big us up when he managed against us, even when we were shit. Its just what he does publicly.
    He may well have done. However, you keep hearing it time-after-time and eventually it rubs off on you - you begin to believe it and feel inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Why do you think that would not have worked?

I'd have thought that would have given us a very real chance of being a Premier League club next season (not that that scenario would have ever played out).
    How did it work for fulham?

We would have needed a whole new team. The clubs who historically done the best coming up have stayed as close as possible to what got them there.

To spend so much that relegation would have meant probable collapse of the club again- would have been totally irresponsible. The club did the right thing. We werent far off and go back down in a good way.

I love the way everyone keeps using Fulham as their yardstick. How about Wolves, Bournemouth? They both spent money, but spent it wisely.

In what way is the club well-run?

You have said yourself the players and the manager weren't good enough for the division they were in. So how does that equate to a well-run club?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What kind of dissent do you mean? Sounding off on message boards and Twitter? Booing during games?

I'm not sure that doing either is productive.
    I don't know, I'm not really close enough to the club to these days to have a firm opinion of how the fanbase reacts to anything. It just seems to me that most fans were resigned to relegation almost from the moment the club was promoted, and I find that puzzling. The board didn't show much ambition and the manager was talking about relegation from the outset, but it seems that was fine with the vast majority of supporters. The fanbase seems to have become very passive.

I don't know, I'm not really close enough to the club to these days to have a firm opinion of how the fanbase reacts to anything. It just seems to me that most fans were resigned to relegation almost from the moment the club was promoted, and I find that puzzling. The board didn't show much ambition and the manager was talking about relegation from the outset, but it seems that was fine with the vast majority of supporters. The fanbase seems to have become very passive.
    I’m not sure that reflects the attitude of the fans I travel with. A relegation battle was certainly expected but all seemed to think we had a chance until after the Fulham game.

In what way is the club well-run?

You have said yourself the players and the manager weren't good enough for the division they were in. So how does that equate to a well-run club?
    Financially we seem to be doing ok. Better than we were anyway no?

And there is a good feeling around the club in general. Football clubs are very rarely well run- we never seemed to be under clemo, wright, kumar, borley, sam or ridsdale. People generally feel the current people running the club are better than any of those.

Of course we are a bigger club than a number already there. Unfortunately those clubs have already built their sides and added to them with PL cash

We were miles behind them and are restricted by mistakes in the past.

Weve got the best most united fans base since ive been a fan. A new generation of younger fans who are vocal in their support in the Canton and proving you dont need to be by the away fans to create an atmosphere.

We haven't thrown the cheque book at it and will be in a better position than last season. Record crowds , great stadium all from being on the brink in the not so distant past.

Yeah I think we are a well run club.