+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sol Campbell-Macclesfield

Sol Campbell-Macclesfield

Well done to Sol for keeping them in the football league, 7 wins a 10 draws when they looked finished back in late November when he took over. Lots of problems there as well with wages i believe. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but credit where it's due. For a time in his career he was world class, seems a bit odd why he had to start at that level and in the predicament he found himself in with Macclesfield considering how other players of his stature over the years have been given better jobs without any evidence to back it up, even Macclesfield were desperate.... Good on him.

Re: Sol Campbell-Macclesfield

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Well done to Sol for keeping them in the football league, 7 wins a 10 draws when they looked finished back in late November when he took over. Lots of problems there as well with wages i believe. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but credit where it's due. For a time in his career he was world class, seems a bit odd why he had to start at that level and in the predicament he found himself in with Macclesfield considering how other players of his stature over the years have been given better jobs without any evidence to back it up, even Macclesfield were desperate.... Good on him.
    Don't particularly like him, but he's done a great job at Macclesfield.

Re: Sol Campbell-Macclesfield

He always came across as arrogant and entitled when talking about his managerial ambitions, but by taking the Macclesfield job and making a success of it - mainly out of the media spotlight - he has really stood up as a manager and a person.

I have more respect for him than for the ex players who walked into massive clubs awash with money and talent, where it is very hard to work out whether they made a difference or not (Gerrard and Lampard for two).

The telling thing will be whether he is offered jobs further up the football pyramid, and how quickly he abandons Macclesfield.