+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Etheridge to stay perhaps after this quote ??

Etheridge to stay perhaps after this quote ??

“He's had a lot of faith in me and he's turned my career around,” said Etheridge, who was signed by Warnock from Walsall, again for a round figure – nothing.

“He's a fantastic man-manager, he knows exactly what to do. He’s been in the game long enough to know what players need - whether it's a kick up the backside or an arm around them.

“As players we want him to stay, but that's something he'll reflect on this summer.”

Re: Etheridge to stay perhaps after this quote ??

I would be absolutely amazed if anyone came in for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I would be absolutely amazed if anyone came in for him.
    Really? I think he could easily be quite comfortable at a mid to lower prem club. Been very reliable. Think it would all depend on how much we would want for him and indeed how settled he may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Really? I think he could easily be quite comfortable at a mid to lower prem club. Been very reliable. Think it would all depend on how much we would want for him and indeed how settled he may be.
    His distribution is awful and in today’s game that is a big turn off even for smaller clubs. I can’t see a single club that needs a new keeper either. Think he’ll be here for a few years which I’d be happy with

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    His distribution is awful and in today’s game that is a big turn off even for smaller clubs. I can’t see a single club that needs a new keeper either. Think he’ll be here for a few years which I’d be happy with
    Part of the problem with his distribution is the outfield players. The times when he's looking to throw the ball out quickly they have got their backs turned to him and are jogging up field. Peltier and Bennett seldom make themselves available as a quick outlet, they are not comfortable on the ball and their passing isn't the best either, so Warnock probably discourages this. We simply don't have the defenders to play it out from the back like the better footballing sides do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Part of the problem with his distribution is the outfield players. The times when he's looking to throw the ball out quickly they have got their backs turned to him and are jogging up field. Peltier and Bennett seldom make themselves available as a quick outlet, they are not comfortable on the ball and their passing isn't the best either, so Warnock probably discourages this. We simply don't have the defenders to play it out from the back like the better footballing sides do.
    Another part is that he frequently kicks it straight into the stands or in a direction different to the way he's looking. Good keeper overall though and hope he stays.

Etheridge is really good in my opinion, although his kicking has got worse again recently. He would be a number 2 'keeper anywhere else, so i suppose it depends if he wants to warm the bench or play regularly.

He'd be a number 2 in a lower premier team.
    He would be best staying playing first team football..
    Many premier League managers want more from their players than saves. Unfortunately he can't kick the bloody thing

Leicester City to challenge and replace Schmeichel is what I heard - though where that leaves Danny Ward I have no idea

They criticise Schmeichel for his distribution so what they'll make of Neil if there is a remote shred of truth to this rumour I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Leicester City to challenge and replace Schmeichel is what I heard - though where that leaves Danny Ward I have no idea

They criticise Schmeichel for his distribution so what they'll make of Neil if there is a remote shred of truth to this rumour I don't know
    I would take Ward in a swap deal for Etheridge!

And incredibly slow. The number of times a quick throw out would have put our forward line in an attacking position and the opposition scurrying back that he either failed to see or is told not to go for this season was shameful. Other than that, he's a great keeper.

His distribution has never been the best but his shot stopping, command of box and handling has been excellent.

I'd imagine with a team playing from the back more his distribution wouldn't be as noticeable. A lot of teams do it for the sake of it and just roll it to the full backs unchallenged. Before they then have to clear it.

Norwich or Sheffield United ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    And incredibly slow. The number of times a quick throw out would have put our forward line in an attacking position and the opposition scurrying back that he either failed to see or is told not to go for this season was shameful. Other than that, he's a great keeper.
    I'm sure that he is instructed to slow the play down. It makes me laugh when he catches the ball and rushes out to the edge of the penalty area, because everyone knows that he isn't going to release it quickly.

However, the accuracy of his kicking is all down to him and it's actually got worse since the start of the season.

I was looking at Kaspar Schmeichel's distribution last night. Virtually every time he went long, he was aiming for a team mate and was looking for a precise pass. Etheridge, whether through instruction or not, just whacks everything as long as he can. If Schmeichel is representative of a top half PL goalkeeper, then Etheridge has lots to do to get to that standard, though, distribution apart, he has been generally very good this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Norwich or Sheffield United ???????
    Sheffield United will more than likely keep Dan Henderson. No idea who Norwich’s keeper is or if he’s any good

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I was looking at Kaspar Schmeichel's distribution last night. Virtually every time he went long, he was aiming for a team mate and was looking for a precise pass. Etheridge, whether through instruction or not, just whacks everything as long as he can. If Schmeichel is representative of a top half PL goalkeeper, then Etheridge has lots to do to get to that standard, though, distribution apart, he has been generally very good this season.
    It has to be down the coaching surely, I can’t see why it hasn’t been addressed since he came here. Without fail he’ll punt it as hard as he can and it’ll either end up as a throw in or straight to the opposition. That’s why I think no one will want him, he gives possession away every time he has the ball

I don't think he'll go anywhere. He will want to go in at first choice, has spent too many years in the wilderness.

It has to be down the coaching surely, I can’t see why it hasn’t been addressed since he came here. Without fail he’ll punt it as hard as he can and it’ll either end up as a throw in or straight to the opposition. That’s why I think no one will want him, he gives possession away every time he has the ball
    He was able to throw the ball accurately to the half-way line in our last game. Don't know why he hasn't been doing that more.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He was able to throw the ball accurately to the half-way line in our last game. Don't know why he hasn't been doing that more.
    Wasn’t that off a corner? I remember that, honesty cheered him for actually throwing it quickly and accurately rather than waiting for everyone to get into their positions.

Got to say I really like him, so I’m praying he sticks around for a few more years