+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, with one game to go, did you enjoy it?

So, with one game to go, did you enjoy it?

I can't say I have enjoyed it to any great extent if I'm honest.

While it is great being in the top tier of British football, having your backsides handed to you on most weekends isn't great.

While it is great to go to the bigger, iconic grounds coming away with our tail between our legs left a sour taste more often than not.

I know many like seeing the best players against us but I am there to watch City first and foremost and the buzz of seeing a top player soon goes when they are running rings around your team. Spurs and Man United home spring to mind as ganes that were not enjoyable in the slightest.

It was an experience but not one I would describe as enjoyable in the main and I am looking forward to the Championship.

I think I like the idea more of competing and doing well most weeks and there are many places, Brentford for one in their last season at Griffin Park, that appeal more than turning up as the whipping boys to places like Stamofrd Bridge or Anfield.

Re: So, with one game to go, did you enjoy it?

I enjoyed 9 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I enjoyed 9 games.
    Same here ........ I'm a lot happier going back down to the Championship ....... It was hard watching us getting taught a footballing lesson week in, week out. Looking forward to local Derbies again, especilly the build up

Can't say I'm gonna miss it, the gap between the top 6 grows wider making games against them so difficult. There were some good moments but it gets tiresome slogging it out week after week.

In terms of entertainment, the Championship is superior by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I enjoyed 9 games.
    In fairness you've got a point and I was lucky enough to be at 8 of the 9 games.

There were also special moments at those bigger grounds mentioned. Bamba's opener at Chelsea and the pandemonium after it. Callum's goal to bring it back to 2-1 at Anfield and giving it a go against them before they killed us off.

I have had a more enjoyable time this time around than last time in the top league but a large part was the going up in red and our lack of traditional identity.

Maybe third time round we'll learn from all of our previous mistakes and stay up convincingly.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I can't say I have enjoyed it to any great extent if I'm honest.

While it is great being in the top tier of British football, having your backsides handed to you on most weekends isn't great.

While it is great to go to the bigger, iconic grounds coming away with our tail between our legs left a sour taste more often than not.

I know many like seeing the best players against us but I am there to watch City first and foremost and the buzz of seeing a top player soon goes when they are running rings around your team. Spurs and Man United home spring to mind as ganes that were not enjoyable in the slightest.

It was an experience but not one I would describe as enjoyable in the main and I am looking forward to the Championship.

I think I like the idea more of competing and doing well most weeks and there are many places, Brentford for one in their last season at Griffin Park, that appeal more than turning up as the whipping boys to places like Stamofrd Bridge or Anfield.
    Yes, the overall experience was enjoyable for me because I approached it from the outset with the realisation that it was always going to be a struggle to survive. We achieved promotion against the odds, probably a year sooner than even anyone at the club expected and were never going to be able to compete financially with most of the other teams. I treated it as a bonus season, in which we would be able to build the club onto a solid financial base with which to move forward in future and hopefully establish ourselves in the Premier League eventually like teams such as Watford, Leicester and Burnley are doing. The fact that we stayed in contention to avoid relegation for so long was a miracle really. There were some notable and enjoyable performances/results, especially the home games against Wolves, Fulham, Brighton, Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth plus the away games at Leicester, Southampton. We also played well in defeat at Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I dont get your claim that you are looking forward to playing in the Championship again. You seem to be saying that you enjoy supporting City but only if they play well and win. Most people know that being a fan of a club is about supporting the team through thick and thin. Your attitude appears more akin to being a fair weather fan or so called plastic, which is an idea totally foreign to me. If everyone felt like you do, we would all have given up supporting City a long time ago, especially in the seventies, eighties and ninties when were very often struggling in the lower leagues with no sign of where the next win was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yes, the overall experience was enjoyable for me because I approached it from the outset with the realisation that it was always going to be a struggle to survive. We achieved promotion against the odds, probably a year sooner than even anyone at the club expected and were never going to be able to compete financially with most of the other teams. I treated it as a bonus season, in which we would be able to build the club onto a solid financial base with which to move forward in future and hopefully establish ourselves in the Premier League eventually like teams such as Watford, Leicester and Burnley are doing. The fact that we stayed in contention to avoid relegation for so long was a miracle really. There were some notable and enjoyable performances/results, especially the home games against Wolves, Fulham, Brighton, Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth plus the away games at Leicester, Southampton. We also played well in defeat at Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I dont get your claim that you are looking forward to playing in the Championship again. You seem to be saying that you enjoy supporting City but only if they play well and win. Most people know that being a fan of a club is about supporting the team through thick and thin. Your attitude appears more akin to being a fair weather fan or so called plastic, which is an idea totally foreign to me. If everyone felt like you do, we would all have given up supporting City a long time ago, especially in the seventies, eighties and ninties when were very often struggling in the lower leagues with no sign of where the next win was coming from.
    Nobody mentioned stopping supporting City.

Football has it's up and downs and is enjoyable at times and desperately gut wrenching at others.

I am a lot of things but fair weather and plastic are not two of them.

Yes, i wish we were still there

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post

Your second paragraph is rubbish.
    I've followed the city all my life approaching 50 years of support and for the majority of that time we have been mostly shit.
    I have never enjoyed the defeats but I've never once thought of giving up.
    Support through thick and thin but that doesn't mean you are enjoying it all the time.

Give the season an overall 6/10. It really could have been more, quite easily in my opinion, but that's football. However, Leicester away will go down as one of the best games I've been too.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I've followed the city all my life approaching 50 years of support and for the majority of that time we have been mostly shit.
    Support through thick and thin but that doesn't mean you are enjoying it all the time.
    That is my thinking. I have supported City a fair few years and for some of them the football can only be described as bad at best.

I think it will be the only time somebody will be called plastic for saying they didn't much like the Premier League and preferred the Championship.

Yes I enjoyed it overall.

Frustrating at times, a lot of times, annoying others, but I want to see us play at our absolute maximum level and since well before my time, this is that level.

Ultimately over the last decade or so we have been chasing the dream to play in the top flight, I see no reason to not be able to enjoy being there when it finally happens. If we had stayed up it would absolutely have been the best season I'd have seen.

It's not about seeing other teams, however seeing how some of these clubs can perform live just shows us where we need to get to if we want to stay up and progress in future. Palace were for a while at our level, on Saturday they looked a league above.

I go with my father, it's something we have always done and I love that and enjoy the day. Regarding only the football, then yes we will win more games next season but unless it's a promotion chasing season would it really be more enjoyable? A mid table season, winning more, drawing more but ultimately falling some way short wouldn't feel more enjoyable for me.

Better than 5 years ago. At least we were in blue and the club was united.

But, poor transfer policy and Warnock's great ability to spend money on players who barely played a part spoilt it for me. The attitude seems wrong from the club, basically saying we're punching above our weight , we'll go down so let's enjoy a season in the Prem. Can't see many other teams taking that approach. Even Fulham were confident, but ultimately crap on the field.

I just hope we get another chance to do it.

Support through thick and thin but that doesn't mean you are enjoying it all the time
    Exactly my thoughts. Getting beaten at a sh1t ground in the middle of winter isn't enjoyable, but we kept going back, year after year after year. In fact some of the lower league promotions and relegation battles have been a blast.

What I don't enjoy is the clear bias in the Premier League, and I don't just mean against us, it's against any team not in the "top 6" club. I mean just take a look at the free kick awarded to the scousers this week at Newcastle, which led to their winning goal. It's a farce.

It wasn't bad, we just lacked that bit of quality and were on the receiving end of far too many dodgy decisions which took the shine off a little and I found the injustice very frustrating at times, but life goes on and I am looking forward to seeing who Warnock signs and next year in the Championship.

I am pretty sure Warnock will address the Strikers next season, and I am expecting a lot more goals !!!!

Yes. We showed there are few teams in the PL with the spirit and heart that we showed most of the season, despite not having the quality. It will be tinged with disappointment that our outdated tactics limited what we could do and helped ensure our relegation, but the players gave virtually everything all season and nobody could ask for any more than that.

A concept completely lost on a 65 year old man. Weird.

It was nice being in the PL and being in the papers and on the TV. But much of the punditry was negative and the football and the results were dire. The crowds were great and the fans got a lot of praise. But overall, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It was nice being in the PL and being in the papers and on the TV. But much of the punditry was negative and the football and the results were dire. The crowds were great and the fans got a lot of praise. But overall, not really.
    Unsure if you'd agree, however a lot of the comments from the American pundits seemed far more balanced towards the team and Warnock than what they received from Sky/BT/MOTD pundits... might just have been from the few games I caught on a stream, but Robbie Earle in particular was very complimentary towards the team.

It was a season where the best moments definitely came away from home (late winners at Leicester and Southampton), while I didn't think there was any game at home to rival the wins over Manchester City and the jacks and the draw with Manchester United in 13/14.

Probably a, season to early.
    VAR nexted season would have been interesting

There were the odd games and moments in games, but overall I didn't enjoy it.

But enjoyment is not the purpose of supporting a football club. I expect stress, misery and disappointment. When those things don't happen it is a welcome bonus.

However, I do think the club is moving in the right direction even if two steps forward, one step back.

There are some significant weaknesses that have been discussed in other threads (Academy, scouting/recruitment, training ground, Board expertise, forward planning etc.) but attendances, finances, fan engagement, community role/profile and mainly maximising the strengths of a good Championship (poor Premier League) squad have all been positive.

Those seeking enjoyment should probably do something else on a Saturday - or support Liverpool or Citeh.

To be honest, it was shit, and the outcome became insignificant after the Sala accident.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was a season where the best moments definitely came away from home (late winners at Leicester and Southampton), while I didn't think there was any game at home to rival the wins over Manchester City and the jacks and the draw with Manchester United in 13/14.
    Every game this season surpassed those results because it was Cardiff City as it was meant to be winning and often losing.

The wins against Fulham, Leicester, Brighton and Southampton (both away) meant far more than any win last year, but they were so few and far between whereas a lot of the time was watching one of the bigger six pass it around or have fortunate decisions go their way that made it even more of an uneven contest. Winning in the Championship is more fun than losing in the Premier League but winning in the Premier League is more fun that doing it in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    To be honest, it was shit, and the outcome became insignificant after the Sala accident.
    The sala incident didn't change the outcome that i would have hoped for.