+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, with one game to go, did you enjoy it?

Re: So, with one game to go, did you enjoy it?

I have enjoyed the season. It was great to see players that you normally only see on TV. The matches against Arsenal and Chelsea, when we put up good shows against players who cost fortunes, were particularly enjoyable for me although the Manchester City game in particular was difficult to watch as the opposition strolled through the 90 minutes effortlessly. The Burnley game which we should have won easily was also enjoyable and the wins against West Ham, Bournemouth and Southampton seemed to give some hope for survival in this league where money determines success. In other words we outperformed our meagre budget.

Having said all this, the season was enjoyable as a one off and wouldn't want to go through it again unless we had the budget to construct a more competitive team. I think the Championship is our natural home and I am looking forward to next season when we will be able to compete on more equal terms.

Yes, the only place to be really, but getting there is also fun so not the end of the world is it.

No stand out home games this time....are wolves the highest placed team we beat? A few good aways though. It’s not really all that but we should be up there like the West Ham’s, Leicester, Watford’s etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Unsure if you'd agree, however a lot of the comments from the American pundits seemed far more balanced towards the team and Warnock than what they received from Sky/BT/MOTD pundits... might just have been from the few games I caught on a stream, but Robbie Earle in particular was very complimentary towards the team.
    Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe were quite complimentary at times and it seemed like they wanted us to stay up. (I think they're both Warnock type of players) The commentators not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I can't say I have enjoyed it to any great extent if I'm honest.

While it is great being in the top tier of British football, having your backsides handed to you on most weekends isn't great.

While it is great to go to the bigger, iconic grounds coming away with our tail between our legs left a sour taste more often than not.

I know many like seeing the best players against us but I am there to watch City first and foremost and the buzz of seeing a top player soon goes when they are running rings around your team. Spurs and Man United home spring to mind as ganes that were not enjoyable in the slightest.

It was an experience but not one I would describe as enjoyable in the main and I am looking forward to the Championship.

I think I like the idea more of competing and doing well most weeks and there are many places, Brentford for one in their last season at Griffin Park, that appeal more than turning up as the whipping boys to places like Stamofrd Bridge or Anfield.
    Despite not winning often enough I found it mostly enjoyable.
    Expectations were low and on occasion our performance if not the result was good to see.
    I respect the hard work that players put in and their limitations.
    I also enjoyed seeing our opponents. Some more than others and the skill and pace on show.
    On the negative side we did put in some mediocre performances and a number of players were confirmed as not being good enough.
    The wins were all the more enjoyable. The crowds were great and almost always supportive.
    I’m not to bothered about the gloss of the Premiership but I would still rather be part of it rather than entering the lottery that is the Championship and wanting to do well only so that we could get back into the Premiership.
    In hindsight we should have spent more trying to stay there as we almost certainly would should we achieve promotion again.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC99 View Post
    Can't say I'm gonna miss it, the gap between the top 6 grows wider making games against them so difficult. There were some good moments but it gets tiresome slogging it out week after week.

In terms of entertainment, the Championship is superior by far.

Only if your winning

only the games city won.... i watched quiet a few matches (i work some weekends)
    and i thought we were dreadful, at times embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It was nice being in the PL and being in the papers and on the TV. But much of the punditry was negative and the football and the results were dire. The crowds were great and the fans got a lot of praise. But overall, not really.
    You could easily have missed the coverage if you'd blinked.

Overall, yes just about. But it was very frustrating to watch at times. I don't mean the results, or even the attempted style of play, but at times it was like the team was a scratch side made up of players who had never met each other before, let alone trained or played with each other. In a strange way it was like watching a group of very talented semi pros playing 38 cup ties against higher league opposition.

Despite the limitations the city really weren't far off staying up and I definitely see it as an opportunity missed. Despite some hammerings I was very surprised to learn how many clean sheets we made and even how close a lot of our games were in the end.

You can't legislate for the Sala tragedy of course, but ultimately it was the summer transfer market what did it for us. I don't think the city needed to have splurged a la Fulham either to have made the difference.

i must admit i did like taking my youngest to a few games and her enjoying being able to go to school proud to be a city fan ( amongst the Man city, Utd, spurs and liverpool fans ) she didnt care they had given us a hiding, she still wore her city shirt with pride and gave it back when she could

the seasons somewhat became just a game of football after losing Sala, it really didnt mean that much, but the few games after somewhat gave us a little hope

CardiffCitySince1927

It was fun being the complete underdog’s for a season, we defying fought against the big spenders. It could have been so much more if a couple of things went our way (Morrison header v Huddersfield, Ralls penalty v WH, Spurs away, Sala incident, We Played Man U w/Mourinho, Linesman having a day off against Chelsea, Burnley Volleyball team, that fulham/palace game). I could have seen us staying up. It’s a shame to be honest as we have lost mostly because we cannot finish chances and VAR coming one year not soon enough. I don’t know how many times Sean Morrison went down in the box, statisticians out there have a look, but we probably could have walked the league with Camarasa penalties alone. I’d rate the season a 7/10. There were some class moments that can only be described as limbs, somber moments that brought us together and upsetting moments that left us angry and melancholic... but that’s football. I always call it my drug, as I’m addicted to the pain of losing and the joy of winning. I wouldn’t have it any other way... Cardiff supporting is what I am going to die doing

This seems a worthwhile thread to have started.

I did to see if the feeling here matched that of my opinion and that of my mates. My mates have very varied views and it is matched here really with each reply seeming to be somewhere on the spectrum from 'No, it was embarrassing' to 'Yes I enjoyed it and if you didn't and prefer the Championship you're a plastic'.

Went to every game, enjoyed being in the Premier League on occasions, it's a change from the usual. Am I bothered that we are relegated? Yes for 2 reasons.

1) It would have pissed everyone off if we had stayed up who had written us off
    2) Some of our players might not get the opportunity again and I think it would've been nice for them to have a second season.

Personally it makes little difference to me. I'm happy to be in the Championship next season as we are still not ready to be in the Premier League. Do I want us to get promoted again? Yes. I think we can only grow as a club and if we do things properly there's no issue with us being in the top flight if we can be competitive.

We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Went to every game, enjoyed being in the Premier League on occasions, it's a change from the usual. Am I bothered that we are relegated? Yes for 2 reasons.

1) It would have pissed everyone off if we had stayed up who had written us off
    2) Some of our players might not get the opportunity again and I think it would've been nice for them to have a second season.

Personally it makes little difference to me. I'm happy to be in the Championship next season as we are still not ready to be in the Premier League. Do I want us to get promoted again? Yes. I think we can only grow as a club and if we do things properly there's no issue with us being in the top flight if we can be competitive.

We'll see what happens.
    I wrote us off before the season started and it wouldn't have pissed me off. I'd have been ecstatic.

I felt detached this season.

I went to every home game, several away games and will be at Old Trafford tomorrow but it’s not affected me as previous seasons have.

I’ve had that feeling that we were at a party we weren’t invited to.

I don’t think the tragedies and injustice affected this for me. I was feeling it before then.

Personally this last season has seen me struggle to raise enough enthusiasm to update cardiffcity-mad has seen me pop on here less often and apart from matchdays interact much less ion twitter.

I can’t fault the fans support but on the pitch but, while we battled, I think we got it wrong. We didn’t invest in enough Premier League quality - of course we had exceptional circumstances. But even with Emiliano we needed better recruitment.

The upshot of it is that I’ve struggled to enjoy the season and found it easier to turn off match of the day than wince though it.

The title race has been relentless and getting the pundits wet at the excitement but it’s a chore for me to follow.

The champions league last week was superb and got me up and shouting at the telly and I’m looking forward to the play offs this week but I’ve had few moments like that watching City this season. The obvious ones, last minute winners and all the victories basically were tempered by defeat after defeat.

Roll on next season and I hope to get my mojo back.

no
    nothing to enjoy in the poor performances
    nothing to enjoy about the death of a new signing

As I counterpoint the season against the season with the dreaded rebrand I enjoyed it immensely. A feelgood factor after such a toxic period. However, Tan must be kicking himself as we could have stayed up for the want of a couple of players. Not to sign even a semi-decent striker at the beginning of the season was the most absurd decision and effectively consigned us to relegation. It was just amazing that the players we had, incredibly limited in so many ways, stalled the inevitable for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As I counterpoint the season against the season with the dreaded rebrand I enjoyed it immensely. A feelgood factor after such a toxic period. However, Tan must be kicking himself as we could have stayed up for the want of a couple of players. Not to sign even a semi-decent striker at the beginning of the season was the most absurd decision and effectively consigned us to relegation. It was just amazing that the players we had, incredibly limited in so many ways, stalled the inevitable for so long.
    You’re right, our failure to address the squad deficiencies pre season did for us really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Overall, yes just about. But it was very frustrating to watch at times. I don't mean the results, or even the attempted style of play, but at times it was like the team was a scratch side made up of players who had never met each other before, let alone trained or played with each other. In a strange way it was like watching a group of very talented semi pros playing 38 cup ties against higher league opposition.

Despite the limitations the city really weren't far off staying up and I definitely see it as an opportunity missed. Despite some hammerings I was very surprised to learn how many clean sheets we made and even how close a lot of our games were in the end.

You can't legislate for the Sala tragedy of course, but ultimately it was the summer transfer market what did it for us. I don't think the city needed to have splurged a la Fulham either to have made the difference.
    I know exactly what you mean. The overwhelming feeling for every game was that it would be akin to a big cup upset if we avoided defeat - it must be hard not to start believing you are "plucky little Cardiff City" when so many from outside, inside your own club and among your our fans are telling you that so much and so often.

Yet, there were a few matches (Fulham, Bournemouth, West Ham and Brighton away spring to mind) that we won so easily (something we never really did in 13/14) that I can't help but feel disappointed now because they showed that we weren't far away at all from being a side that could have survived.

I'd rate it as not one of my most enjoyable seasons of recent years - the Sala tragedy meant that it didn't feel that important whether we stayed up or went down for the last third of the campaign and, in a season which was short on really memorable matches, I'm sure this will be what 18/19 will be remembered for in the years to come.

Finally, although we benefited occasionally from blunders by the officials and I do not subscribe to any theory that makes out they are corrupt, it did seem too often that our eleven were up against fourteen opponents - in a season where the stock of the Premier League is, arguably, as high as it has ever been, has the standard of officiating in the division ever been so low?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC99 View Post
    In terms of entertainment, the Championship is superior by far.
    I’m sure people like Rotherham supporters will say the same about League 1. We have to take a view on last year as an anomaly due to the amount of games we won, and the fact many of these were unexpected. I’m sure everyone prefers winning.

Personally I like all the ancillary things the premier league gets. The coverage, the news columns, the fantasy football, the sticker books and everything that comes with being in currently the best league in the world.

I do enjoy the championship and the chase but you cannot deny that marketing wise the premiership shits on absolutely everything. Perhaps when VAR comes in it’ll be more favourable to the lesser teams.

Being in the prem has helped us convert more supporters. And when we’re battling against rugby, we need every help we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Re: Tan - hindsight is wonderful - we could have spent another. 30m and still have gone down.

Surely he’s at an age now where the thrill has gone, and he wants to deleverage.

I enjoyed it as something different but I couldn't stand being in a league where the best you could hope for was about 8th year in and out and just staying up was the seasons aim

Disappointed in the end. We were going Ok for a while, but ultimately we lost 11 Homes games, compared to losing 9 in 2013/14. We did win 6 though, compared to 5 last time. Our last 11 games have seen 2 wins and 9 defeats, so the end of season we have tailed off which finally cost us our PL place. I think the lack of a striker (Patterson got 4, Zohore 1, Ward 1, Niasee 0) has cost us, the Sale incident has not helped, and losing players to injury at a crucial time has also affected us. Ralls, After, Camarasa, Patterson & Bamba all out.

I did enjoy it up to the time we fell away. The crowds have been great, the highest average I have ever seen in 51 years. The feeling was good too. I did renew my season, before we got relegated, so I'll be there next year come what may.

I think we'll see a massive turnover in players, with some shock departures and some not so unexpected. I'm not sure if Warnock will stay either. He's demanding money already for next year, and with his track record of spending it I'm not sure Mr Tan will sport him.

But I am still hoping we'll win today at Man U.

I enjoyed:
    the full stadium.
    Away v hone fans banter.
    Seeing some great players .
    Seeing us making a great fist of our battle.
    Drinking a lot .
    Our group of wonderful fans, and banter.

Did not Enjoy:

Lack of Saturday 3pm's
    Late Friday/Saturday Kick Off's
    Toliet waits .
    Stupid Gin Bar
    No space to lie down.
    No where to rest my drink at half time .
    Occasionally sat near star gazing jappenese tourists.
    Rushing to the ground before kick Off.
    Sala and Leciester moments.