+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has Warnock Always Played Like This?

Has Warnock Always Played Like This?

There was a definite shift in tactics around November time of our promotion season in my opinion. Up until that point we were playing a direct style but there seemed to be more method and pace involved with players allowed to take the odd risk and where our midfield didn't just sit in and spoil the opposition play. The question i have is this, How have Warnocks other sides that he has managed, performed and what style of play did they employ? I can recall QPR playing a very quick attacking game that had similarities to how we performed against Villa, Sheff Utd. Leeds etc, but i can't recall anything about Warnocks tactics at Sheffield United, Palace or Leeds. Does anyone have any recollections on how he went about his tactical business at these clubs? I'm not the biggest fan of how we played this season and for the second half of last season but did enjoy the quickness, intensity and controlled direct play that we saw previously. Is that More of Warnocks style, was he cutting his cloth when he presumably changed things, thinking that we couldn't sustain that style of play, maybe he thought that it was to demanding? I'd be interested to know what other people can remember when watching a Warnock led team, my only memories are of the QPR side.

Re: Has Warnock Always Played Like This?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There was a definite shift in tactics around November time of our promotion season in my opinion. Up until that point we were playing a direct style but there seemed to be more method and pace involved with players allowed to take the odd risk and where our midfield didn't just sit in and spoil the opposition play. The question i have is this, How have Warnocks other sides that he has managed, performed and what style of play did they employ? I can recall QPR playing a very quick attacking game that had similarities to how we performed against Villa, Sheff Utd. Leeds etc, but i can't recall anything about Warnocks tactics at Sheffield United, Palace or Leeds. Does anyone have any recollections on how he went about his tactical business at these clubs? I'm not the biggest fan of how we played this season and for the second half of last season but did enjoy the quickness, intensity and controlled direct play that we saw previously. Is that More of Warnocks style, was he cutting his cloth when he presumably changed things, thinking that we couldn't sustain that style of play, maybe he thought that it was to demanding? I'd be interested to know what other people can remember when watching a Warnock led team, my only memories are of the QPR side.
    I think Warnock's 'style' is as much to do with the ability he has to improve and get the best out of an existing group of players as it is his preferred playing option. I doubt if any of his promotions were achieved by slowly building a squad over a few seasons. Maybe if someone said " we'll give you 3 seasons to put together a squad of your choice, you may see a variation in playing style. I doubt he'd ever go for 'tippy tappy' completely, as he's one of the few managers who realizes that what you do at either end of the pitch really matters..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think Warnock's 'style' is as much to do with the ability he has to improve and get the best out of an existing group of players as it is his preferred playing option. I doubt if any of his promotions were achieved by slowly building a squad over a few seasons. Maybe if someone said " we'll give you 3 seasons to put together a squad of your choice, you may see a variation in playing style. I doubt he'd ever go for 'tippy tappy' completely, as he's one of the few managers who realizes that what you do at either end of the pitch really matters..
    Well. Crystal Palace players said It was exactly like this, and all to simple for premier league.
    And if he is one of few, did he really understand anything? 🤔 There is no I in team, but there is in Neil..

What i would say is any change of tactics after November worked and we went up.

Teams would have had a better idea how to stop us.

I think we caught a few by suprise early on.

NML in particular didnt keep up the early form.

To be fair Warnocks a master tactitian compared to someone like Dave Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

It did work, although does it have longevity? I would say that Warnock is better than jones at getting the maximum out of ordinary players and building a spirit amongst the squad, that didn't seem prevalent during the Jones era.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Dave Jones seemed able to bring in/attract whatever players he wanted, though I'm led to believe he spent most of the day on the golf course and let the players get on with it..

I think he felt we couldn't keep up the intensity of the early months throughout the entire season, Tomlin's disappointment and Paterson's emergence probably contributed as well

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think he felt we couldn't keep up the intensity of the early months throughout the entire season, Tomlin's disappointment and Paterson's emergence probably contributed as well
    I'd agree with that, there was a noticeable shift in style and tactics after the Leeds game at home when we battered them. Certain players suffered though, Zohore(in my opinion)struggled, before the change he was dropping deep and turning defenders and there was significant support for him, that stopped and with his injury he didn't look the same player after that.

Dave Jones seemed able to bring in/attract whatever players he wanted, though I'm led to believe he spent most of the day on the golf course and let the players get on with it..
    Ive often wondered what would have happened if Marcus Bent had signed. Thered have been no Jay Bothroyd who was such a key player for us and Jones. Have to credit Jones with getting the best out of Bothroyd but im convinced hed never have lasted as long if Bent had arrived. The 442 big man little man act never more exposed as Etuhu coming on and not McCormack in the play off final.

I’m of the opinion we have Terry Burton to thank for a lot of the good stuff we saw during the Jones era.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It did work, although does it have longevity? I would say that Warnock is better than jones at getting the maximum out of ordinary players and building a spirit amongst the squad, that didn't seem prevalent during the Jones era.
    Team spirit and a desire on the pitch were among the things missing from his reign, along with tactical awareness and grit in midfield. I believe the side that kept ballsing up promotion efforts would have survived in the PL. We haven't had a better forward partnership than Bothroyd/Chopra, including McCormack's cameo in that. His use of Whittingham in a free role on the left was inspired. When we were on song, we battered teams. When we weren't, we were fecking awful. Sadly, the awful days were too many and we failed to go up.

I thought the change in tactics seemed to coincide with our injury crisis, and it was a change more out of necessity than anything else.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed watching us play during Neil Warnock's first season here and we were excellent in the early weeks of 17/18 in games like Villa, Sheffield United and Wolves.

People talk about how injuries brought about a change in style, but I would argue that, in truth, it was only one injury - the one to Kenneth Zohore.

It's easy to forget now just how good Zohore was during a spell which began with his half time introduction against Wolves in December 2016 and ended some time around when we beat Leeds 3-1 in September 2017 - I can remember a five minute spell in our win at Molineux during the promotion season where he made each member of the Wolves back (Coady and Boly were playing that day) look like novices in individual confrontations.

Sadly, that nine months or so looks like it was just a blip in Zohore's career - there have been flashes of what he is capable of this season (e.g. when he came on against Man United and the Everton home game when the rest of the team couldn't pass the ball well enough to take advantage), but, unfortunately for us, he remains one of the biggest enigmas I've ever seen in a Cardiff shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I’m of the opinion we have Terry Burton to thank for a lot of the good stuff we saw during the Jones era.
    If you are of that opinion you pretty much have to disregard every manager, as every manager works with a team of coaches.

When you look at the case of Trollope who is a well respected coach that didn't really cut it as a manager.

The best thing a manager can do is have a trusted team around him.