+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Liverpool fan on Talksport wants them to get a trophy for finishing second

Liverpool fan on Talksport wants them to get a trophy for finishing second

Re: Liverpool fan on Talksport wants them to get a trophy for finishing second

Just 12 months ago we got a trophy for being runners up in the championship, so why not the Premier league as well?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Just 12 months ago we got a trophy for being runners up in the championship, so why not the Premier league as well?
    Because it’s ridiculous I s’pose, why we got one, God knows?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think they started giving a trophy to the runners up cos they gave one to the playoff winners, so the only promoted team without one were the second place finishers.

Because the Play Off winners get one. So if runners up didn't get one, they'd be the only team promoted not to get a trophy. Regards, God.

I’ve always thought that whilst the play offs can be an exciting end to the season, playing the play off “final” at Wembley is a joke!
    Why should teams finishing below the 2 best teams in their division get to play there?
    The play off final should be over 2 legs home and away and the team who finished higher originally should get to choose if they they want to play the 1st leg home or away.
    As for getting a trophy for winning the play offs. That’s an even bigger joke!

If we don't give it them they will want a memorial built, hold seasonal events celebrating it , then stop the game in the 83rd minute,when teams are just attacking , in remembrance of them being a woe is me club

Perhaps I’m old fashioned, ok the play offs can be exciting (not if you’re involved though sometimes), but I think it would be a good idea and a much fairer system if the team that came third over 46 games got automatic promotion and scrap the play offs altogether.
    I wonder if that would ever catch on 🧐🧐

Perhaps I’m old fashioned, ok the play offs can be exciting (not if you’re involved though sometimes), but I think it would be a good idea and a much fairer system if the team that came third over 46 games got automatic promotion and scrap the play offs altogether.
    I agree. Leeds (Despite hating them) have been more or less top two all season and finished 9 points above Derby in 6th and really do deserve it more to go up.
    Now facing the playoffs they could (and hopefully) flunk it which from a neutral standing does seem a tad unfair.

I've always questioned if 3rd to 6th have play offs in each division to gain promotion, then surely the 3rd from bottom of each league should have playoffs with the other 3 teams above them for a relegation scrap as to who goes down in the last spot?

Seems logical to me if the leagues are to continue with promotion play offs.

I always liked the idea of teams playing off against those in the relegation zone of the division above.

Heard this earlier, I’d put my house on that being a wind up call

The playoffs kept the league interesting for half the table up until the final game or games. If it was just top 3 to go up then there would be a lot of teams with basically nothing to play for from around February onwards

I think when they started play offs it was team in 18th of Premier League against 5th from Championship, with 3rd and 4th playing each other then a 2 legged final for the 2 winners to decide the final Premier League place ?

What should happen is 6th plays 5th at 5ths ground. Winner plays 4th at 4ths ground. Winner plays 3rd at 3rds ground. Winner of that goes up. Fairer, and does away with the Wembley thing (although the playoff final at Wembley is a pretty exciting event)

everton fan on a windup surely

Just bloody hope they come 2nd. Bast*rds!!

I think an even better idea is to keep the promotion playoffs, and introduce relegation playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    Heard this earlier, I’d put my house on that being a wind up call
    I thought he was an Everton fan, but when he argues his point I think he may actually be Liverpool. Because he makes some good points. Until he says about the trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’ve always thought that whilst the play offs can be an exciting end to the season, playing the play off “final” at Wembley is a joke!
    Why should teams finishing below the 2 best teams in their division get to play there?
    The play off final should be over 2 legs home and away and the team who finished higher originally should get to choose if they they want to play the 1st leg home or away.
    As for getting a trophy for winning the play offs. That’s an even bigger joke!
    TV. The media own football.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I always liked the idea of teams playing off against those in the relegation zone of the division above.
    The play offs were originally the team that finished 3rd from bottom of the Prem and the teams that finished 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Championship (or 1st division as it was then). A much better play off system.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    The play offs were originally the team that finished 3rd from bottom of the Prem and the teams that finished 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Championship (or 1st division as it was then). A much better play off system.
    Slight correction. It was division one and division two then.

They only did it that way for the first season, I think. Not sure why they changed it.

I guess that nowadays the premier league team would have too big a financial advantage and they'd be strong favourites every time.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Slight correction. It was division one and division two then.

They only did it that way for the first season, I think. Not sure why they changed it.

I guess that nowadays the premier league team would have too big a financial advantage and they'd be strong favourites every time.
    Yes, I wasn't quite sure if it was pre Prem or not.

As for your 2nd point, if it was still that way, City would be in the mix for the play offs this year. I'm not sure we'd have such a big financial advantage over the likes of Leeds, WBA or Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Yes, I wasn't quite sure if it was pre Prem or not.

As for your 2nd point, if it was still that way, City would be in the mix for the play offs this year. I'm not sure we'd have such a big financial advantage over the likes of Leeds, WBA or Villa.
    Maybe not this season as those are three big clubs, but the previous three seasons have been Swansea, Hull and Newcastle in the relegation zone and Fulham, Huddersfield and Hull as eventual playoff winners respectively. I'd make the PL team the favourite every time for those ties, although upsets happen of couse.