+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Liverpool fan on Talksport wants them to get a trophy for finishing second

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Liverpool fan on Talksport wants them to get a trophy for finishing second

Perhaps I’m old fashioned, ok the play offs can be exciting (not if you’re involved though sometimes), but I think it would be a good idea and a much fairer system if the team that came third over 46 games got automatic promotion and scrap the play offs altogether.
    I wonder if that would ever catch on 🧐🧐

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps I’m old fashioned, ok the play offs can be exciting (not if you’re involved though sometimes), but I think it would be a good idea and a much fairer system if the team that came third over 46 games got automatic promotion and scrap the play offs altogether.
    I agree. Leeds (Despite hating them) have been more or less top two all season and finished 9 points above Derby in 6th and really do deserve it more to go up.
    Now facing the playoffs they could (and hopefully) flunk it which from a neutral standing does seem a tad unfair.

I've always questioned if 3rd to 6th have play offs in each division to gain promotion, then surely the 3rd from bottom of each league should have playoffs with the other 3 teams above them for a relegation scrap as to who goes down in the last spot?

Seems logical to me if the leagues are to continue with promotion play offs.

The playoffs kept the league interesting for half the table up until the final game or games. If it was just top 3 to go up then there would be a lot of teams with basically nothing to play for from around February onwards

What should happen is 6th plays 5th at 5ths ground. Winner plays 4th at 4ths ground. Winner plays 3rd at 3rds ground. Winner of that goes up. Fairer, and does away with the Wembley thing (although the playoff final at Wembley is a pretty exciting event)