+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has football ever been better?

Re: Has football ever been better?

I think in terms of neutral matches the champions league Knock out rounds and the Wolves Watford semi final are some of the most exciting matches I’ve ever seen.

People like to be nostalgic and cynical for the sake of it.

Football isn’t perfect, it’s corrupt, there’s too big a gap between the haves and have nots and plenty of other negatives. But I don’t understand how you can like football and watch those 2 champions league semis and not enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think in terms of neutral matches the champions league Knock out rounds and the Wolves Watford semi final are some of the most exciting matches I’ve ever seen.

People like to be nostalgic and cynical for the sake of it.

Football isn’t perfect, it’s corrupt, there’s too big a gap between the haves and have nots and plenty of other negatives. But I don’t understand how you can like football and watch those 2 champions league semis and not enjoy them.
    People are not saying that they didn't enjoy those matches. I have thoroughly enjoyed this weeks football. I have enjoyed matches as much in the past also.

I don't think the football that is happening now is so good that it totally eclipses everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    What we see these days is games from through-out Europe being shown on tv on a regular basis, when I was growing up yo certainly would not have the opportunity to see Messi every week, instead his reputation would build and you would get glimpses of the player once or twice a season.
    That is precisely why him and Ronaldo are so good. You dont see the odd highlight reel to form an opinion. You see them week in week out and they produce again and again and again.
    My opinion on Pele is based on a few games and some stats. My opinion on Messi comes from watching him week in week out for over 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    That is precisely why him and Ronaldo are so good. You dont see the odd highlight reel to form an opinion. You see them week in week out and they produce again and again and again.
    My opinion on Pele is based on a few games and some stats. My opinion on Messi comes from watching him week in week out for over 10 years.
    That still doesn't make your opinion correct. Just because you see alot of a player doesn't mean that the player you have seen less of is worse.

Messi and Ronaldo stats in the champions league are boosted by the fact that they play every year in the competition.

That still doesn't make your opinion correct. Just because you see alot of a player doesn't mean that the player you have seen less of is worse.

Messi and Ronaldo stats in the champions league are boosted by the fact that they play every year in the competition.
    What about their league stats though? They’re both far better than anyone who’s ever played however you want to judge it.

What about their league stats though? They’re both far better than anyone who’s ever played however you want to judge it.
    I never really understand the certainty that people talk about when they talk about Messi and Ronaldo.

If someone asked me who i felt was the greatest player of all time i would say Maradona, my reasoning for that would be because what he achieved at both Argentina and Napoli were greater achievements than either of the other 2 have achieved. At the same time i understand the consistency argument that clearly Messi and Ronaldo have achieved great feats over a longer period of time than many others have managed to.

I find it difficult to believe that right at this present moment we are seeing the greatest football of all time played by the greatest players of all time, its the same type of bias that leads everyone to think the music from their generation was the best ever.

Impossible to compare different generations. Both would have had the shit kicked out of them in Pele's time

The PL or top division of English football is definitely at its strongest. Money has seen to that.

The armchair fan probably hasnt had it so good.

Nothing beats live football watching your team with yout mates/family experiencing the highs or lows.

I can take or leave a PL game depending on what im doing.

Just cant get anywhere near the same enjoyment as theres no connection.

Looking forward to the Championship play offs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Impossible to compare different generations. Both would have had the shit kicked out of them in Pele's time
    But defenders are faster, fitter and more tactically aware than ever. Older defenders would have struggled to keep up with them.

But defenders are faster, fitter and more tactically aware than ever. Older defenders would have struggled to keep up with them.
    If the older players played today they would have the same advancements in diet, lifestyle and medical science. It cannot be a way to compare generations.

It is a level playing field for both.

If the older players played today they would have the same advancements in diet, lifestyle and medical science. It cannot be a way to compare generations.

Switching sports to one I know you like, there's no way you can just make the bald statement that modern day batsman in cricket are better than their predecessors because they can hit the ball further and higher. Give the likes of Ian Botham, Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards modern day bats when they were at their peak and they would be hitting it at least as far - it's the same with driving distances in golf.

Fair point but no one has ever come close to the ridiculous numbers Messi and Ronaldo is.

Im not saying Maradona isn’t close, but those two are just unbelievably good.

Fair point but no one has ever come close to the ridiculous numbers Messi and Ronaldo is.

Im not saying Maradona isn’t close, but those two are just unbelievably good.
    but its folly to just look at the numbers, there are more games, more chances to play in Europe, less chance of having a career ending injury, if you get an injury recovery time is less.

The argument isn't that they are not great players simply that everything that happens today is not the greatest of all time. Its simply the greatest thing that is happening now.