+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cardiff City a big club?

Re: Cardiff City a big club?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wasn’t so long ago Chelsea and Newcastle had crowds of 10,000 odd in the championship as it was.
    It was a very long time ago. The 1982/83 season in Chelsea's case. 1980/81 in Newcastle's case, although the crowds never got quite as low as 10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A few years back I was at St James Park for a couple of games in Division 2, Millwall & Notts County, I’m sure the gates were around 8,000 & 12,000 respectively.
    When are we talking Steve? Eighties? Seventies? I've got one of their records books here. I can have a look for you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When are we talking Steve? Eighties? Seventies? I've got one of their records books here. I can have a look for you.
    Cheers Dave, have a look for us, I’m sure a Kevin Bartlett scored a couple in the Notts Co win if memory serves me right. I know they were smallish crowds but, Jeez my memory is going some here, I’m certain it was around 3rd Cup time and they played Derby at home around the same time before about 30 odd thousand and I was amazed at the League/Cup attendances discrepancy. Have a look and put me out of my misery👍

Cheers Dave, have a look for us, I’m sure a Kevin Bartlett scored a couple in the Notts Co win if memory serves me right. I know they were smallish crowds but, Jeez my memory is going some here, I’m certain it was around 3rd Cup time and they played Derby at home around the same time before about 30 odd thousand and I was amazed at the League/Cup attendances discrepancy. Have a look and put me out of my misery👍
    Early 90s, 👍

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wasn’t so long ago Chelsea and Newcastle had crowds of 10,000 odd in the championship as it was. Both established as big now? Are Leicester and saints big? Watford and Burnely?
    Chelsea averaged 12,700 in Div 2 in 82/83, were promoted as Champions the following season and have spent one season at Championship level in the 35 seasons since, during which they were also promoted as Champions.

Early 90s, 👍
    Just found a couple of their attendances at that time through Google, The one season their lowest was against Crewe (9,000), the season after was 10,000 against Oxford, average was around 16,000.

Cheers Dave, have a look for us, I’m sure a Kevin Bartlett scored a couple in the Notts Co win if memory serves me right. I know they were smallish crowds but, Jeez my memory is going some here, I’m certain it was around 3rd Cup time and they played Derby at home around the same time before about 30 odd thousand and I was amazed at the League/Cup attendances discrepancy. Have a look and put me out of my misery��
    This is the 1990/91 season in the old Division Two.

The crowd for their game against Millwall was 23,922. Teddy Sheringham scored Millwall's winner in a 2-1 win for the Lions.

The crowd for the Notts County games was 17,557. County won 2-0 and Kevin Bartlett scored their first. The second was a 90th minute penalty, so maybe he also had a hand in that.

The crowd for the Derby FA Cup tie was 19,748. They had a crowd of 29,231 in the next round against Forest.

Just found a couple of their attendances at that time through Google, The one season their lowest was against Crewe (9,000), the season after was 10,000 against Oxford, average was around 16,000.
    What season was the Crewe game? I guessing that was a cup tie as Crewe were in Divisions 3 and 4 at the time.

I think if the point of the exercise is to proof that Chelsea's attendances have not always been at "top six" level, this is as good a season as any to use - it's 91/92 when they were in the old First Division.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E...ea_F.C._season

What season was the Crewe game? I guessing that was a cup tie as Crewe were in Divisions 3 and 4 at the time.
    The Crewe match was a League Cup game, looks like the Oxford game was in the league. Some wild swings though, obviously Sunderland attracted a 30,000 crowd & even Forest had 29,000 there. These helped the average but they did finish the season in 20th place, avoiding relegation in the last day. Christ they were in dire straights then under Ardiles, Keegan came in in the February, Oz came home from Germany and the club were rescued. In those days when crowds were generally down, I wonder what would have happened to them had they’d been relegated? The Keegan era definitely galvanised the club. They did seem a step away from crisis under John Hall but Keegan was his master stroke, his charisma galvanised the region, enticed the fans back and attendance wise they’ve never looked back even though they seem in eternal conflict with the Ashley regime. They seem to pulled it off with the fans being in the habit of going regardless of their discontent. They’ve a lot to thank Keegan's gung ho enthusiasm for.

It was a very long time ago. The 1982/83 season in Chelsea's case. 1980/81 in Newcastle's case, although the crowds never got quite as low as 10,000.
    Chelsea in the 80’s were rife with hooligans and yo yo ing back and for too