Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Historically a second tier football league club is probably right. Club with potential but this has seldom been realised, I guess you could say that about a good whack in the championship. But with the right and sustained investment there's no reason why the city couldn't become a more established top tier or yo yo club.

But it's fluid isn't it. All it takes is a couple of generations for the answer to that question, and the sense of the club's identity and its potential, to change. My dad has that late 60s/early 70s period as his default memory when he thinks of the city: a 2nd tier club with almost yearly European outings. In many ways it's probably closer to where we are now.

A couple of generations after and my default when I think of the club is still a tier 3/4 yo yo club despite the last 15 years primarily in the 2nd tier. I just wanted the city to get back to where I thought we historically belonged.

I've worked with a wide mix of different football fans in work and the supporters I still feel most similar to and have most affinity with are your Colchesters, Gillinghams, Wrexhams, and the like. I still feel like a bit of an interloper even with established championship club supporters despite the fact we are one.
Only if your history stops in the mid 1960s.

We were top tier in 61, and we were top tier in the 20s, with Huddersfield (!) our main rivals for winning the League.
And we were actually the favourites when we beat Arsenal in the 1927 FA cup final.

Lack of investment has dragged down our stature.