Historically a second tier football league club is probably right. Club with potential but this has seldom been realised, I guess you could say that about a good whack in the championship. But with the right and sustained investment there's no reason why the city couldn't become a more established top tier or yo yo club.

But it's fluid isn't it. All it takes is a couple of generations for the answer to that question, and the sense of the club's identity and its potential, to change. My dad has that late 60s/early 70s period as his default memory when he thinks of the city: a 2nd tier club with almost yearly European outings. In many ways it's probably closer to where we are now.

A couple of generations after and my default when I think of the club is still a tier 3/4 yo yo club despite the last 15 years primarily in the 2nd tier. I just wanted the city to get back to where I thought we historically belonged.

I've worked with a wide mix of different football fans in work and the supporters I still feel most similar to and have most affinity with are your Colchesters, Gillinghams, Wrexhams, and the like. I still feel like a bit of an interloper even with established championship club supporters despite the fact we are one.