+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City a big club?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff City a big club?

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    We are, what we are.
    A championship club.
    I agree with the above, we are basically a Championship club. And we are lucky to be that after what happened in the mid 80s with two successive relegations and ending up in Division 4. It took us 17 years to get back up to the second level.

Clubs like Leicester and Wolves have a far richer history than us, Wolves won the League 3 times in the 10 years after WW2. Championship clubs like Blackburn, Derby, Villa, Leeds, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough have all consistently played at higher level than us and won trophies. Even Fulham have played at the top level for years. Although clubs like Fulham and Watford have never won anything major, or Brighton I don't think. Even Coventry had about 30 years in the top tier.

Doesn't mean we can't change it though does it? A big missed opportunity though this season, and will we be strong enough next season when we have to compete with clubs like Derby, Leeds, Villa, WBA (well three of them), Huddersfield, Fulham, Sheff W , Middlesbrough and others. Even super Bristol City will off on the quest to conquer Europe again next season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I agree with the above, we are basically a Championship club. And we are lucky to be that after what happened in the mid 80s with two successive relegations and ending up in Division 4. It took us 17 years to get back up to the second level.

Clubs like Leicester and Wolves have a far richer history than us, Wolves won the League 3 times in the 10 years after WW2. Championship clubs like Blackburn, Derby, Villa, Leeds, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough have all consistently played at higher level than us and won trophies. Even Fulham have played at the top level for years. Although clubs like Fulham and Watford have never won anything major, or Brighton I don't think. Even Coventry had about 30 years in the top tier.

Doesn't mean we can't change it though does it? A big missed opportunity though this season, and will we be strong enough next season when we have to compete with clubs like Derby, Leeds, Villa, WBA (well three of them), Huddersfield, Fulham, Sheff W , Middlesbrough and others. Even super Bristol City will off on the quest to conquer Europe again next season!!!
    We've competed with them for the last 10 years and been consistently better than a few of them

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I agree with the above, we are basically a Championship club. And we are lucky to be that after what happened in the mid 80s with two successive relegations and ending up in Division 4.
    I'm not sure why people keep going as far back as the Eighties. What happened then is surely an irrelevance in terms of what is happening now? After all, Bournemouth, Burnley, Wolves and Sheffield United also spent time in Division Four in the Eighties. They'll all be playing Premier League football next season.