+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danny Baker fired by the BBC and he's not happy about it.

Danny Baker fired by the BBC and he's not happy about it.

Re: Danny Baker fired by the BBC and he's not happy about it.

Silly gag, but OTT reaction?

A ridiculous reaction. I didn't even know that 'er in doors grandparents were black and it wouldn't have registered with me even if I knew they were.

I liked the Danny Baker show as well.

CardiffCitySince1927

Shame really. His shows were class and to be honest, he’d have put that down for any posh birth no matter the colour as that’s the sort of humour he uses/has. It didn’t even occur to me that the baby is mixed race. I don’t give a shit about the royals, and I’m sure he was just trying to get a quick laugh, but it was one that got him a quick exit.

When I first saw what he posted yesterday I was sure he’d be sacked. He says he didn’t mean anything racist by it and just meant the royals were circus animals in suits. Seems a bit harsh if he’s being genuine with that.

I think he's genuine, but completely ****ing stupid if he didn't foresee the reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    showed an image of a couple holding hands with a chimpanzee dressed in clothes with the caption: "Royal Baby leaves hospital".

WTF?

Of course, he's going to get sacked, what did he expect?

You can't possibly make up some lame excuse for that?

Wont be too long before Talk Sport come knocking at his door with a contract in hand.

Hes too talented a broadcaster not to be on air.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    When I first saw what he posted yesterday I was sure he’d be sacked. He says he didn’t mean anything racist by it and just meant the royals were circus animals in suits. Seems a bit harsh if he’s being genuine with that.
    He uses monkeys in suits as a gag quite regularly, so its hardly like he's only done it because Markle has black heritage, seems an honest mistake

The BBC sacking him so quickly gives the impression they've been waiting for an excuse for a while now, the ultimate irony of the BBC's hardline stance against racism is that Nigel Farage is on Question Time AGAIN tonight

I like Danny Baker and believe he has just been very stupid rather than anything more sinister than that, but I know myself well enough to realise that I would be demanding some right wing shock jock be sacked straight away if they had posted the same tweet - he had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He uses monkeys in suits as a gag quite regularly, so its hardly like he's only done it because Markle has black heritage, seems an honest mistake

The BBC sacking him so quickly gives the impression they've been waiting for an excuse for a while now, the ultimate irony of the BBC's hardline stance against racism is that Nigel Farage is on Question Time AGAIN tonight
    ??

I’m of mixed race, and after the reaction on here yesterday to a throw away quip I posted I’m not in the least bit surprised at today’s events.
    It seems ok to joke about Ginger people, the Irish being thick, the Scots being tight, Jimmy Saville etc. We really are in danger of disappearing up our own arses.
    Thousands of people would have got txts like that tweet on their phones.
    The difference between attempted humour, and being a real hateful racist are oceans apart.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’m of mixed race, and after the reaction on here yesterday to a throw away quip I posted I’m not in the least bit surprised at today’s events.
    It seems ok to joke about Ginger people, the Irish being thick, the Scots being tight, Jimmy Saville etc. We really are in danger of disappearing up our own arses.
    Thousands of people would have got txts like that tweet on their phones.
    The difference between attempted humour, and being a real hateful racist are oceans apart.
    The difference is between those jokes you’ve highlighted (except the stupid Irish ones) is they’ve not been used for decades as a way to keep people of other races down and then say “it’s only a joke”. There’s a good reason you can’t tell a racist joke these days.

Also the problem is they aren’t funny any either, the people who complain about not being able to tell these shit jokes are people who are too stupid to be funny without it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...key-image.html

I'm with him as far as his reaction goes if he was really told that he meant it as a racist post - surely nobody with such a high profile in his sort of job would send out what they knew to be racist tweets? It'd be career suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ??
    I like Baker, I don't think it was his intention to be racist. Monkeys in suits is a fairly regular joke he makes on his Twitter feed about celebrities, it had nothing to do with Markle's ethnicity/heritage. He's done something stupid that I don't think he should have been sacked for, he later apologised and deleted the tweet.

I just think its ironic for the BBC to sack Baker for what they see as being racist but continue to provide Farage et al with a platform to spout their shite

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The difference is between those jokes you’ve highlighted (except the stupid Irish ones) is they’ve not been used for decades as a way to keep people of other races down and then say “it’s only a joke”. There’s a good reason you can’t tell a racist joke these days.

Also the problem is they aren’t funny any either, the people who complain about not being able to tell these shit jokes are people who are too stupid to be funny without it.
    I’d wager plenty of people found that tweet funny.
    I’d say the “stupid” people as you put it, are the ones who can’t tell the difference between attempted humour ( be it funny or not) and real deep rooted hateful racism.

I like Baker, I don't think it was his intention to be racist. Monkeys in suits is a fairly regular joke he makes on his Twitter feed about celebrities, it had nothing to do with Markle's ethnicity/heritage. He's done something stupid that I don't think he should have been sacked for, he later apologised and deleted the tweet.

I just think its ironic for the BBC to sack Baker for what they see as being racist but continue to provide Farage et al with a platform to spout their shite
    I've heard him mention it quite a few times on his radio shows and thought of it straight away when I first heard about the tweet he sent.

He acknowledges himself that he knew he was going to be sacked in that Daily Mail article and so I struggle to see how the BBC could have, say, let him off with a warning.

He's a unique act even if he is very fond of himself...........and obviously a bit dim if he thought he was ever going to get away with that type of comment in the 2010's.

This is how society is becoming. People who lack the intelligence to understand the comparison he was making (not related to race, just having a dig at the monarchy) scream their faux outrage and someone loses their job. At least I now have no reason at all to engage with the BBC, his show was the only thing left of any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’d wager plenty of people found that tweet funny.
    I’d say the “stupid” people as you put it, are the ones who can’t tell the difference between attempted humour ( be it funny or not) and real deep rooted hateful racism.
    How is any of that relevant unless he intended it to be racist though? It either isn’t meant to be racist and I could see how that could be funny or it was meant as black baby is a chimp, how would that be funny?

The problem is that a lot of people disguise their deep rooted hateful racism as jokes, it’s how a lot of propaganda can be spread. Look at the effect of 4chan and 8chan on racism online and especially in the US.

I don’t he intended to be racist and think his sacking is harsh. But that doesn’t mean racist jokes aren’t bad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wont be too long before Talk Sport come knocking at his door with a contract in hand.

Hes too talented a broadcaster not to be on air.
    Totally agree here. Hope he get's reacquainted with Danny Kelly again. The pair of them had the best show ever on radio 5 Live. Think he had the sack from there before for encouraging Spurs supporters to throw their football programmes on the pitch. I can't think why this was though...Anyone with a better memory than me?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...cup-team-tweet

Baker has been very stupid at best and racist at worst, but if he got sacked how the hell did Sugar get away with this?

Poor judgement ,rightly sacked .

t
    He's got as minor obsession about chimps in human clothing or doing human activities. His bosses would know this of course but they can't afford to be seen to ignore this. Bonkers.

I would want to be satisfied that someone intended a tweet or similar to be racist before sacking someone. The vast majority of people do not associate members of the ape family with human beings of a any race and it seems to me that we are in danger of perceiving the minority view (i.e. that of racists) as being some kind of norm by which we are now measured.