The Chase tonight

Question on The Chase final.
    Bradley Walsh "What household appliance do Dyson make?? "
    Shaun Wallace answer "Hoover"
    Bradley Walsh "correct."

Re: The Chase tonight

Surprised that would have been aired.

That’s just what it’s known as though isn’t it?

You sound like Alan Partridge and the tannoy system

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Question on The Chase final.
    Bradley Walsh "What household appliance do Dyson make?? "
    Shaun Wallace answer "Hoover"
    Bradley Walsh "correct."
    It's a vacuum cleaner Brad!

Its all about sucking up .

Bex Bissell was the height of technology in my day👨*🦳

"Hoover"has been synonymous with "vacuum cleaner" for ages.

I've got a Henry hoover.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    "Hoover"has been synonymous with "vacuum cleaner" for ages.

I've got a Henry hoover.
    It has but come on, he’s the Chaser, he should know better. Never mind, no doubt Danny Baker will sort him out with a tweet later ........😱😱😱 dear God what have I implied!!!!

International

I always wonder which brilliant advertising mind thought up the slogan "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux". I often wondered if he/she got sacked!!
    It reminds me of when I was taking over a married quarter in Berlin, with my wife in attendance. I had previously owned a Goblin teasmade and as the 'Q' chap was reeling off the items in the flat he pointed to the Vacuum cleaner and said "One Goblin housemaid" Without thinking I said, "Oh good, I've always wanted one of those".
    I felt the eyes burning holes through my body. She didn't speak to me for 2 days!! (Bliss)

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I always wonder which brilliant advertising mind thought up the slogan "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux". I often wondered if he/she got sacked!!
    It reminds me of when I was taking over a married quarter in Berlin, with my wife in attendance. I had previously owned a Goblin teasmade and as the 'Q' chap was reeling off the items in the flat he pointed to the Vacuum cleaner and said "One Goblin housemaid" Without thinking I said, "Oh good, I've always wanted one of those".
    I felt the eyes burning holes through my body. She didn't speak to me for 2 days!! (Bliss)
    Was her mouth full then

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That’s just what it’s known as though isn’t it?

You sound like Alan Partridge and the tannoy system
    Hoover is a brand name, calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover is the same as calling all cars a Ford.

I need to buy a new Ford.
    What make are you getting?
    Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Hoover is a brand name, calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover is the same as calling all cars a Ford.

Audi.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X32tYnr2rOk

Audi.
    TThe difference is that "hoover" is something of an onomatopoeia.

There's some fluff on my floor, I'll hoover it up - with my Henry. (and that is NOT a euphemism! )

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    TThe difference is that "hoover" is something of an onomatopoeia.

There's some fluff on my floor, I'll hoover it up - with my Henry. (and that is NOT a euphemism! )
    The word hoover doesn't sound like the noise a vacuum makes.

It is not uncommon for very successful brand names to be commonly used as a generic word that covers rival brands.

Escalator, Heropin, Aspirin, Cellophane, Jet-ski, Jacuzzi, Breatalyser, Ping-pong, Rollerblades, Velcro, Taser, Post-it, Xerox, Plexiglass, Formica, Stetson, Frisbee, Hoola-hoop, Kerosene, Dry Ice, Laundromat, Lino(leum), Lava Lamp, Astro Turf, Memory Stick, Walkman, Super Glue, Tupperware etc.And after a bit of hoovering I like nothing more than a bit of Googling - and I remember a Scottish lady I knew in the 70's mentioning that she was doing the 'Ewbanking'.

Ironically, it is said that a Trade Mark has failed when this happens - as the original brand distinguishes itself less from its competitors.

By the way, the German translation of vacuum cleaner is Staubsauger i.e. dust sucker. Just sayin'..............

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

By the way, the German translation of vacuum cleaner is Staubsauger i.e. dust sucker. Just sayin'..............
    Starngely enough, the Welsh word for a vacuum cleaner is sugnwr llwch - which means dust sucker. Who'd have thought it?

Starngely enough, the Welsh word for a vacuum cleaner is sugnwr llwch - which means dust sucker. Who'd have thought it?
    Vacuum cleaners suck!

The warehouse I worked in had a fork lift truck.Someone painted K1 on it.
    When one of the sparks done a repair on it he wrote on his job sheet "Repairs to K1 "

The warehouse I worked in had a fork lift truck.Someone painted K1 on it.
    When one of the sparks done a repair on it he wrote on his job sheet "Repairs to K1 "
    I'm probably being dense, but what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm probably being dense, but what does that mean?
    Im the one whose dense it was K9 Doctor Who Tardis

Took me years to realise that the characters' name, K9, was derived from the word canine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Took me years to realise that the characters' name, K9, was derived from the word canine.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It is not uncommon for very successful brand names to be commonly used as a generic word that covers rival brands.

Escalator, Heropin, Aspirin, Cellophane, Jet-ski, Jacuzzi, Breatalyser, Ping-pong, Rollerblades, Velcro, Taser, Post-it, Xerox, Plexiglass, Formica, Stetson, Frisbee, Hoola-hoop, Kerosene, Dry Ice, Laundromat, Lino(leum), Lava Lamp, Astro Turf, Memory Stick, Walkman, Super Glue, Tupperware etc.And after a bit of hoovering I like nothing more than a bit of Googling - and I remember a Scottish lady I knew in the 70's mentioning that she was doing the 'Ewbanking'.

Ironically, it is said that a Trade Mark has failed when this happens - as the original brand distinguishes itself less from its competitors.

Should have read: 'heroin'

Couple of Cardiff City stewards on Pointless the other night, like the Club both out in first round over both nights.