Utter bollocks.

Reading's league averages for the period in question were:

1967/68 - 8,127
1968/69 - 6,552
1969/70 - 9,855
1970/71 - 6,889
1971/72 - 5,531
1972/73 - 5,321

You football snobs make me laugh. Surely you realise that every football club had to start somewhere? That success at any club naturally brings higher attendances? And that wealthy backers are commonplace throughout the modern game regardless of the level?

The Manchester United guys have taken on a project, put their money into a tiny club that's local to them and are trying to build it up. They seem to be doing alright so far, but apparently their efforts are frowned upon by fans of 'authentic' clubs like Reading.

I bet they're gutted about that.....

Yeah I over-egged those gates although we averaged c 15,000 in the 50’s which goes back to my point that we had a history of support. A history within the community even when we have been crap. Much like Wrexham we are one of the oldest clubs in existence. Salford were not established until 1940 and have spent most of their time in the local leagues.

What Salford are doing is spending vast amounts of money in comparison with the League they are in. It’s certainly not something Reading did to achieve success. Even in dark times like these Wrexham still average gates of 5,000. Yet despite having so much support they have a fraction of the funds that Salford have. I presume FFP doesn’t apply to the National League because if it did I doubt Salford would be able to buy their success.

I couldn’t give a rats arse whether they are much bothered about whether I think they are authentic or not. I’m a nobody anyway so it’s a shrug of the shoulders to that comment.