+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salford moneybags win promotion to league in front of pathetic crowd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Salford moneybags win promotion to league in front of pathetic crowd

I love non-league football but this first ever play-off final which didn't feature a former league club proved to be under attended when only 8,000 turned up at Wembley to see moneybags Salford beat moneybags Fylde 3-0. This final typically draws crowds of 15k~20k & on 3 occasions 40k+

I'm not a fan of purchasing a league place like Salford have but I guess some of the old guard are passed their expiry date. How far can Salford go? 4 tiers in 5 years, will they buy the league 2 title next year?

Re: Salford moneybags win promotion to league in front of pathetic crowd

I think you can certainly buy yourself out of league 2 but after that I mean it's going to cost a serious amount of money.

It's crazy to think how much cash is being spent at non league clubs would be interesting to see differences in the likes of Spain germany Italy.

Isn't the money put in by ex Manure players inc Scholes and Giggs?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I think you can certainly buy yourself out of league 2 but after that I mean it's going to cost a serious amount of money.

It's crazy to think how much cash is being spent at non league clubs would be interesting to see differences in the likes of Spain germany Italy.
    Think it was the Accrington Stanley chairman saying Bury had spent until they ran out of money, we're bailed out by footballers union and Bolton Wanderers (of all clubs) and on the back of this won promotion from league 2. He said it was impossible to run football clubs long term in that style and no other business would allow it.

Salford can absolutely buy their way out of league 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    Isn't the money put in by ex Manure players inc Scholes and Giggs?
    Neville and Beckham were in attendance today so I assume they got their fingers in this particular Salford flavoured pie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Neville and Beckham were in attendance today so I assume they got their fingers in this particular Salford flavoured pie.
    The Neville brothers, Giggs,Scholes and Beckham each own 10% with another ex Man U player ( I can’t remember which one without checking). But the biggest single investor is a Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim. He is a huge Man Utd fan but in the past he was also interested in buying Liverpool FC.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    The Neville brothers, Giggs,Scholes and Beckham each own 10% with another ex Man U player ( I can’t remember which one without checking). But the biggest single investor is a Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim. He is a huge Man Utd fan but in the past he was also interested in buying Liverpool FC.
    Nicky Butt is the other 10% owner. It would have annoyed me if I hadn’t remembered that

Singapore billionaire Peter Lim own 40% of the club.
    Various people own 10% each.
    So who knows they could do a Bournemouth

Apparently, Peter Lim owns 40%. Why does that name ring a bell? Was he linked with us at one stage?

It's seems something of a vanity project. Why didn't they invest in Rochdale or Bury or Stockport or Oldham? It's similar to that FC United thing - couldn't disgruntled MU fans have supported another team in the area rather than create and control another one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Apparently, Peter Lim owns 40%. Why does that name ring a bell? Was he linked with us at one stage?

It's seems something of a vanity project. Why didn't they invest in Rochdale or Bury or Stockport or Oldham? It's similar to that FC United thing - couldn't disgruntled MU fans have supported another team in the area rather than create and control another one?
    You're thinking of Simon Lim our former chief executive - no relation.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    You're thinking of Simon Lim our former chief executive - no relation.
    Thanks, that's probably it

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I love non-league football but this first ever play-off final which didn't feature a former league club proved to be under attended when only 8,000 turned up at Wembley to see moneybags Salford beat moneybags Fylde 3-0. This final typically draws crowds of 15k~20k & on 3 occasions 40k+

I'm not a fan of purchasing a league place like Salford have but I guess some of the old guard are passed their expiry date. How far can Salford go? 4 tiers in 5 years, will they buy the league 2 title next year?
    I hate seeing them go up. Very frustrating when you have supporters of an authentic club like Wrexham missing out yet again. Wrexham would have taken a minimum of 10,000 to Wembley and probably more

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I hate seeing them go up. Very frustrating when you have supporters of an authentic club like Wrexham missing out yet again. Wrexham would have taken a minimum of 10,000 to Wembley and probably more
    Why on earth are Wrexham more ‘authentic’ than Salford?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Salford used to play in front of a handful of people. They now have rich ex footballers buying success. Surprise surprise they now have more fans. Wrexham fans stick by their club. Through thick and thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Salford used to play in front of a handful of people. They now have rich ex footballers buying success. Surprise surprise they now have more fans. Wrexham fans stick by their club. Through thick and thin.
    In relative terms, Reading used to play in front of as handful of people, as did Cardiff City. Surprise surprise, both clubs attracted a lot more fans when they achieved success with the backing of wealthy owners.

All this 'authentic' codswallop is hilarious coming from a fan of a club whose stadium is named after a rich benefactor.....

In relative terms, Reading used to play in front of as handful of people, as did Cardiff City. Surprise surprise, both clubs attracted a lot more fans when they achieved success with the backing of wealthy owners.

All this 'authentic' codswallop is hilarious coming from a fan of a club whose stadium is named after a rich benefactor.....
    No we didn’t. We used to get gates the best part of 20,000 in the late 60’s early 70’s when we are in the lower divisions. Salford used to be watched by one man and a dog and have never had any serious support. What a bizarre comparison you are desperately trying to make.
    Yeah Madejski came in and was behind the move to the new stadium but we had existed for the best part of 120 years by then with a history of support behind us.

Because they are similar to the Stock. Aitken Waterman bands of the 80’s. Manufactured

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Because they are similar to the Stock. Aitken Waterman bands of the 80’s. Manufactured
    You think the club you support wasn’t manufactured?

I suppose they’ve been at that level with similar crowds without huge investment

had the chance to go and watch Bromsgrove v Corby town in the evostick southern league play off final last week but declined the offer . Bromsgove ended up 4-3 winners in front of almost 3000 fans . If you like your non league stuff Des did you go to he game as it's on your doorstep ? I heard it was a great advert for that league

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    had the chance to go and watch Bromsgrove v Corby town in the evostick southern league play off final last week but declined the offer . Bromsgove ended up 4-3 winners in front of almost 3000 fans . If you like your non league stuff Des did you go to he game as it's on your doorstep ? I heard it was a great advert for that league
    No mate, I watch Cinderford Town when I can't get to City games. They lost in the Final of the Southern League Cup to Stratford 1-0, they're in the semi final of the Gloucestershire Senior against Forest Green, after beating Bristol Rovers in the Q/F. They went 16 games unbeaten at the end of the league season, beat Cirencester away 2-1 in the playoff semi but lost to Yate Town 3-1 in the Final on Monday. Totally enjoyed it. Ironically even if they'd won the play-off they would not have been promoted, as only 5 of the 7 play off winners, based on points per game got promoted to tier 3 (= Merthyr's level) .

Peter Lim owns Valencia and gave Gary Neville his ill-fated career move into management there. He is a business associate of the Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Beckham and shares ownership with them of Hotel Football and Cafe Football. It doesn't look like they plan to stay around in League 2 for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Peter Lim owns Valencia and gave Gary Neville his ill-fated career move into management there. He is a business associate of the Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Beckham and shares ownership with them of Hotel Football and Cafe Football. It doesn't look like they plan to stay around in League 2 for too long.
    Peter Lim has already had a number of common business investments with Vincent Tan in the Far East

i see Cardiff Met had a good away win against caernarfon today for a europa play off place

it's been reported tonight a wall collapsed during a goal celebration . no one seriously hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    Peter Lim has already had a number of common business investments with Vincent Tan in the Far East
    I'm pretty certain that there were a few posts on here some years ago how Vincent Tan was a front man at City for Peter Lim.