+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salford moneybags win promotion to league in front of pathetic crowd

Re: Salford moneybags win promotion to league in front of pathetic crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    No we didn’t. We used to get gates the best part of 20,000 in the late 60’s early 70’s when we are in the lower divisions.
    Utter bollocks.

Reading's league averages for the period in question were:

1967/68 - 8,127
    1968/69 - 6,552
    1969/70 - 9,855
    1970/71 - 6,889
    1971/72 - 5,531
    1972/73 - 5,321

You football snobs make me laugh. Surely you realise that every football club had to start somewhere? That success at any club naturally brings higher attendances? And that wealthy backers are commonplace throughout the modern game regardless of the level?

The Manchester United guys have taken on a project, put their money into a tiny club that's local to them and are trying to build it up. They seem to be doing alright so far, but apparently their efforts are frowned upon by fans of 'authentic' clubs like Reading.

I bet they're gutted about that.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Utter bollocks.

Reading's league averages for the period in question were:

1967/68 - 8,127
    1968/69 - 6,552
    1969/70 - 9,855
    1970/71 - 6,889
    1971/72 - 5,531
    1972/73 - 5,321

You football snobs make me laugh. Surely you realise that every football club had to start somewhere? That success at any club naturally brings higher attendances? And that wealthy backers are commonplace throughout the modern game regardless of the level?

The Manchester United guys have taken on a project, put their money into a tiny club that's local to them and are trying to build it up. They seem to be doing alright so far, but apparently their efforts are frowned upon by fans of 'authentic' clubs like Reading.

I bet they're gutted about that.....

Yeah I over-egged those gates although we averaged c 15,000 in the 50’s which goes back to my point that we had a history of support. A history within the community even when we have been crap. Much like Wrexham we are one of the oldest clubs in existence. Salford were not established until 1940 and have spent most of their time in the local leagues.

What Salford are doing is spending vast amounts of money in comparison with the League they are in. It’s certainly not something Reading did to achieve success. Even in dark times like these Wrexham still average gates of 5,000. Yet despite having so much support they have a fraction of the funds that Salford have. I presume FFP doesn’t apply to the National League because if it did I doubt Salford would be able to buy their success.

I couldn’t give a rats arse whether they are much bothered about whether I think they are authentic or not. I’m a nobody anyway so it’s a shrug of the shoulders to that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Why on earth are Wrexham more ‘authentic’ than Salford?
    Because they are similar to the Stock. Aitken Waterman bands of the 80’s. Manufactured

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Because they are similar to the Stock. Aitken Waterman bands of the 80’s. Manufactured
    You think the club you support wasn’t manufactured?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I think you can certainly buy yourself out of league 2 but after that I mean it's going to cost a serious amount of money.

It's crazy to think how much cash is being spent at non league clubs would be interesting to see differences in the likes of Spain germany Italy.
    Think it was the Accrington Stanley chairman saying Bury had spent until they ran out of money, we're bailed out by footballers union and Bolton Wanderers (of all clubs) and on the back of this won promotion from league 2. He said it was impossible to run football clubs long term in that style and no other business would allow it.

Salford can absolutely buy their way out of league 2.