+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City bottom of the league

Cardiff City bottom of the league

Imagine that. We are shit in most statistics. But we are actually bottom of the league in running stats aswell. How is that possible, with average 30% possession? Did we not turn up at all? And people keep banging on about keeping Warwick and him getting the best out of players? We can't even run!

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...n-the-furthest

Re: Cardiff City bottom of the league

But 14th in sprinting and above Manchester United too.

Less sendings off and yellows, we are a nice team.....thought warnocks teams were rough and durty hey?

It's a massive difference as well.
    I suppose it's potentially because of how we play lot of the time because we don't have the ball are generally just defending from 40 yards so aren't going to cover as much ground.

Would be interesting to see each player individually as well, also we generally leave attacking to our front 4 and don't really break lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Imagine that. We are shit in most statistics. But we are actually bottom of the league in running stats aswell. How is that possible, with average 30% possession? Did we not turn up at all? And people keep banging on about keeping Warwick and him getting the best out of players? We can't even run!

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...n-the-furthest
    I'm not sure if you are joking or not. Thankfully Warnock knows what he's doing and doesn't use meaningless statistics to dictate our play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    I'm not sure if you are joking or not. Thankfully Warnock knows what he's doing and doesn't use meaningless statistics to dictate our play.
    Er, depsite the refusal of one or two to believe it in their attempts to portray our season as some sort of triumph, we did get relegated and we're the only club to have played more than one season in the Premier League never to have a year where we stayed up - we came closer to surviving than most of the pundits thought we would, but, in the end, they were proved correct in their judgment.

Maybe if Neil Warnock put a bit more faith in those statistics you call meaningless we might have survived?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Er, depsite the refusal of one or two to believe it in their attempts to portray our season as some sort of triumph, we did get relegated and we're the only club to have played more than one season in the Premier League never to have a year where we stayed up - we came closer to surviving than most of the pundits thought we would, but, in the end, they were proved correct in their judgment.

Maybe if Neil Warnock put a bit more faith in those statistics you call meaningless we might have survived?
    There are literally stats for everything. Some we do well in, others not. With regards the one mentioned by the op I'm not sure what more could be done given how we play, it's clearly to do with possession and defending deep (or being pushed back). As someone above said you can't run a whole lot more camped on the edge of your box.

The most important stat is that we finished 18th. So it has been no triumph but ultimately we just lacked quality in the right areas, more often than not upfront.

Ultimately for me it's down to budget or what was willing to be spent. Considering 2 teams stayed up on sub 40 points I think we missed a bit of a trick in not being more ambitious over the summer, didn't have to be Fulham type spending but just more than we did in the areas that needed it. That's not so much down to Neil, however I don't feel he got his two most expensive signings on the pitch nearly enough.

This particular statistic us merely reflective of the way we set ourselves up to defend, rather than any damning comment on the effort we put in.

We played a very old school deep block, and spent a lot of the time in games defending in a rigid formation.
    Had we been pressing all over the pitch then we would obviously have run more but that wasn't the way we decided to go