+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scottish Football - why doesn’t anyone give a toss about it?

Scottish Football - why doesn’t anyone give a toss about it?

Used to be big-ish.

Now no one cares. Glad as can’t stand the old firm.

Re: Scottish Football - why doesn’t anyone give a toss about it?

Can't stand the league because it's the same two, year after year, after winning most of the cups. It must be the most boring league in the world?

In a way it's worst than the plastic teams we have in the premier league, constantly winning honours.

Fingers crossed Man Citeh beat Brighton today, so the lesser of two evils win the league.

Likewise Spurs to beat the scoucers in the Champions League final. South Wales will be unbearable if they, Liverpool, win anything this season. Or any other season come to that!

Any league where one team has more money than the others put together is not for me

I think for me it is automatic entry into the Champions League and the fact that their fans crow about being the best, only to go out in the first round against a team from some small unknown country that have never won a European game before.
    Celtic are a championship level team winning in a very small pond

It makes me laugh that the BBC pretends the Scottish Premiership is more important than the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Used to be big-ish.

Now no one cares. Glad as can’t stand the old firm.
    I hate the sectarianism, and it's not just the two big Glasgow clubs who are guilty of it. There's no money in the SPL, the TV revenues are tiny compared to the EPL. I can remember (As i'm pretty sure many others can) Aberdeen winning the ECWC beating Bayern along the way and Real Madrid in the final, that was one hell of a side. Dundee United reached the Semi final of the EC and the final of the ECWC during the eighties as well, It was more competitive 20 years ago even though the outcome was probably the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It makes me laugh that the BBC pretends the Scottish Premiership is more important than the Championship.
    Do they?

Dreadful mindless league.

Only kept alive by memories of the past .

We wont admit that in case we upset them , media keeps them happy to avoid the " woe is me , no one likes us" were off we want independence .

Bloody moaning bunch, wish we could cut them off, and let them become an Icelandic country

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Dreadful mindless league.

Only kept alive by memories of the past .

We wont admit that in case we upset them , media keeps them happy to avoid the " woe is me , no one likes us" were off we want independence .

Bloody moaning bunch, wish we could cut them off, and let them become an Icelandic country
    **** me, where to start with that! What is an 'Icelandic Country' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A country like Iceland but not Iceland I assume.

Why not , they get to stay in Europe, I'm sure they did look at this, a while back .

'Cash is king in modern football' – fans react to the 'Atlantic league' proposal

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y_to_clipboard

At the moment, Scottish football has gone back to the dark ages, both on the park and on the terraces.
    On a side note, Dundee Utd are still the only team on the planet to have a 100% record against Barcelona.

Do they?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...res/2019-05-05

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yea but they aren't really also saying the women's South league is more important than la liga.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Yea but they aren't really also saying the women's South league is more important than la liga.
    I'm not supporting the other poster's opinion. Just wondered if the link showed what may have prompted his comment.

I'm not sure what it is any longer. I don't think you can say it's where the best Scottish players develop because most of their recent international sides, as with us, comes from Premier League or Championship; you can't say that there are the talents of Henrik Larsson who can go onto make it at the biggest teams in the world - indeed one of the better strikers from the SPL joined Salford last year rather than Man United; and you can't say it's an interesting or exciting title race. Watching Celtic go for a triple-treble or Steven Gerrard walk into a top job and all this talk about which Liverpool youth he'll take is not that exciting. Of course you have other teams but it seems more of a two horse race than ever.

Celtic aside the rest of the league has been on a very sharp decline for quite a few years now.
    SPL clubs get less than half the TV Money than the championship (not including parachute payments) or even places like Denmark and Sweden. Celtic are a good team thanks to their commercial income, but without a competitive league, it seems likely that that will eventually decline as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Celtic aside the rest of the league has been on a very sharp decline for quite a few years now.
    SPL clubs get less than half the TV Money than the championship (not including parachute payments) or even places like Denmark and Sweden. Celtic are a good team thanks to their commercial income, but without a competitive league, it seems likely that that will eventually decline as well
    Celtic won't decline, they'll peak and trough but they'll be OK. If Rangers can get good again, then you'd see a better SPFL.