+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Unique Season for Cardiff City

A Unique Season for Cardiff City

Cardiff City played out the whole of the 2018/19 campaign without being involved in a single score draw in any competition. That's never happened before in Cardiff's entire history as a professional football club.

Since joining the Football League in 1920, the lowest number of score draws the Bluebirds have been involved in during any campaign was 3 in 1920/21 and 1946/47.

This season's final tally of 4 draws (which all finished 0-0) was also the club's lowest in any league season. The previous record was 6 draws, which occurred in 1933/34, 1946/47 and 1983/84.

Fascinating, huh?

Re: A Unique Season for Cardiff City

I don't think a lack of score draws is what will stay with me from this season.

Very

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Cardiff City played out the whole of the 2018/19 campaign without being involved in a single score draw in any competition. That's never happened before in Cardiff's entire history as a professional football club.

Since joining the Football League in 1920, the lowest number of score draws the Bluebirds have been involved in during any campaign was 3 in 1920/21 and 1946/47.

This season's final tally of 4 draws (which all finished 0-0) was also the club's lowest in any league season. The previous record was 6 draws, which occurred in 1933/34, 1946/47 and 1983/84.

Fascinating, huh?
    Another interesting point might be that we're the 8th team to have been relegated from the PL since it became a 20 team division in 1995 with 10 wins. Of the previous 7 sides, all bar 1 had a record that would have been better than Brighton had this season. Barnsley won 10 and drew 5 when they were relegated in 1998, meaning our record of 34 points is the worst in PL history for winning 10 games in a season. This is all the more galling when Brighton survived on a point tally slighly less than the average.

Our inability to squeeze out a few more draws cost us big time. While we can have the odd sob story, the fact that we were marginally worse than Barnsley were 21 years ago is not an inaccurate portrayal of the season, even though it's had a number of great moments and has been much more enjoyable than 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't think a lack of score draws is what will stay with me from this season.
    Nor me. That'll be watching the two best club sides I've ever seen. But it's an interesting stat all the same. Something that has never happened to CCFC before.

Much better not drawing than.. I think it was about twenty years ago in the basement when kenny Hibbitt was in charge and we drew almost every ****ing match we played in, the only time I totally lost all interest in the club, the most pathetic turgid time for CCFC I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Much better not drawing than.. I think it was about twenty years ago in the basement when kenny Hibbitt was in charge and we drew almost every ****ing match we played in, the only time I totally lost all interest in the club, the most pathetic turgid time for CCFC I remember.
    23 draws wasn’t it? Fecking shite we were back then.
    Our lowest ever finish in FL I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    23 draws wasn’t it? Fecking shite we were back then.
    Our lowest ever finish in FL I think.
    1997/98. 23 draws it was. Not the lowest-ever finish, though. City finished a place lower in 1995/96.

Incidentally, two of the three clubs below City in 1997/98 were Brighton and Hull (Doncaster were the other).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Another interesting point might be that we're the 8th team to have been relegated from the PL since it became a 20 team division in 1995 with 10 wins. Of the previous 7 sides, all bar 1 had a record that would have been better than Brighton had this season. Barnsley won 10 and drew 5 when they were relegated in 1998, meaning our record of 34 points is the worst in PL history for winning 10 games in a season. This is all the more galling when Brighton survived on a point tally slighly less than the average.

Our inability to squeeze out a few more draws cost us big time. While we can have the odd sob story, the fact that we were marginally worse than Barnsley were 21 years ago is not an inaccurate portrayal of the season, even though it's had a number of great moments and has been much more enjoyable than 5 years ago.

Our last score draw was at Sheffield United in 2017/18 when Pilkington scored a late equaliser. we'll probably have 10 score draw in the first 12 games next season!

I predicted 34 points at the start of the season but made up very differently. I had us down for 8 wins 10 draws & 20 defeats, somewhat different to our 10-4-24 results.

I had 7 results totally reversed, losses not wins at Leicester, Southampton, Brighton & ManUre and wins not losses at home to Burnley, Watford & Palace. The rest involved draws of some description.

I got 19 results out of 38 correct (& 19 wrong!)

I also had Notts County, Aldershot & Stoke for promotion! So not a good showing all round! Only Portsmouth can save me from a wipe out!

1997/98. 23 draws it was. Not the lowest-ever finish, though. City finished a place lower in 1995/96.

Incidentally, two of the three clubs below City in 1997/98 were Brighton and Hull (Doncaster were the other).
    Was that a David Penney season? We seemed to be swamped with poor players who lasted a season back then. Chris beech was one. I think tony carss was another who basically got an earbashibg from that nutter on the Bob bank for an entire season. “Tony! Tony! Get wide!” I suspect hibbit narrowed the pitch just to give our wingers a bit of peace from that.

Great kit that season though- the gilesports one

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Was that a David Penney season? We seemed to be swamped with poor players who lasted a season back then. Chris beech was one. I think tony carss was another who basically got an earbashibg from that nutter on the Bob bank for an entire season. “Tony! Tony! Get wide!” I suspect hibbit narrowed the pitch just to give our wingers a bit of peace from that.

Great kit that season though- the gilesports one
    facking horrible cheap looking kit that one IMO.. the lotto one before and the Ipswichy one after were much classier..

Feedback

Nor me. That'll be watching the two best club sides I've ever seen. But it's an interesting stat all the same. Something that has never happened to CCFC before.

the city are one of those teams, who is the other?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    the city are one of those teams, who is the other?
    As you rightly say, Manchester City were one of those teams. Liverpool were the other.

As you rightly say, Manchester City were one of those teams. Liverpool were the other.
    Bit harsh on Watford, they were outstanding, Deulofeu put in one of the performances of the season at our place (and at theirs as well against us).

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bit harsh on Watford, they were outstanding, Deulofeu put in one of the performances of the season at our place (and at theirs as well against us).
    I didn't see Watford play. Five matches for me this season - Arsenal, Manchester City, Burnley and Liverpool at home, and Southampton away (as you already knew). I turned down tickets for two other home games - Everton and West Ham. Everton couldn't be helped as I was in Berlin, but I was disappointed I missed West Ham in retrospect. Too lazy I'm afraid.

facking horrible cheap looking kit that one IMO.. the lotto one before and the Ipswichy one after were much classier..
    I couldn’t disagree more. That lotto thing was dreadful. Not quite sure what one you are referring to by the Ipswichy one... the mark delany half length of the pitch sports cafe shirt? Yeah, that was ok. But the gilesports one had so much more going for it. Material was similar to the maradona Napoli shirt; gilesports was an actual proper sports shop; and you could get a long sleeved version and pretend you were Jason Fowler. Throw in a yellow stripe on the sleeve and you are left with a mighty fine football shirt from the 1990s.

For the avoidance of doubt though, the 1992/93 kit was the best.

I didn't see Watford play. Five matches for me this season - Arsenal, Manchester City, Burnley and Liverpool at home, and Southampton away (as you already knew). I turned down tickets for two other home games - Everton and West Ham. Everton couldn't be helped as I was in Berlin, but I was disappointed I missed West Ham in retrospect. Too lazy I'm afraid.
    Watford were outstanding up there for 80 odd minutes, 3 up & cruising, right panic on when we nicked two late goals though. At our place after our denied penalty appeal they wiped the floor with us.

Watford were outstanding up there for 80 odd minutes, 3 up & cruising, right panic on when we nicked two late goals though. At our place after our denied penalty appeal they wiped the floor with us.
    I watched both games against Palace live on TV. They were superb going forward. That 0-0 game on Boxing Day was astonishing.

I watched both games against Palace live on TV. They were superb going forward. That 0-0 game on Boxing Day was astonishing.
    Would have been stopped had it had been a boxing match. It’s those games that give you bloody hope though, you come away with a point thinking the gods are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I couldn’t disagree more. That lotto thing was dreadful. Not quite sure what one you are referring to by the Ipswichy one... the mark delany half length of the pitch sports cafe shirt? Yeah, that was ok. But the gilesports one had so much more going for it. Material was similar to the maradona Napoli shirt; gilesports was an actual proper sports shop; and you could get a long sleeved version and pretend you were Jason Fowler. Throw in a yellow stripe on the sleeve and you are left with a mighty fine football shirt from the 1990s.

For the avoidance of doubt though, the 1992/93 kit was the best.
    Yes the sports cafe one with the white sleeves - top kit that. I too liked the Phil Stant ere acho kit, hoping adidas give us something a bit more unique next year as it's their last but not holding my breath. I actually think the red kits we had in our first year in the prem were the best.....

Yes the sports cafe one with the white sleeves - top kit that. I too liked the Phil Stant ere acho kit, hoping adidas give us something a bit more unique next year as it's their last but not holding my breath. I actually think the red kits we had in our first year in the prem were the best.....
    I’m desperate to see us back in white shorts & socks, never been keen on all blue.

I’m desperate to see us back in white shorts & socks, never been keen on all blue.
    I'd second that! Oh for the good old days when we got to vote on shorts colour!

I'd second that! Oh for the good old days when we got to vote on shorts colour!
    Real democracy , however in this era we would probably have to face calls for a second confimationery vote