+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If Warnock has said he will never manage in the PL again

If Warnock has said he will never manage in the PL again

Why would he stay or why would we keep him?

So many have said that he needs to stay to win us promotion again. In the event of that happening, what then? Warnock goes. We need a new manager who will look to impart a different style and want to bring in different players. What do we gain? A season of struggle and cluelessness.

If we don't win promotion, he'll go next season anyway. What do we gain? A nothing season where a new manager will come in at the end who will look to impart a different style and want to bring in different players. This will be exaggerated by the age of our defence.

Warnock's success causes these issues. While I can't say I'm a huge fan of our tactics I accept that it has been successful at Championship level and, had Warnock shown more faith in "having a go", maybe at PL level as well. But we're bound to have big changes whenever Warnock finishes. Wouldn't the best time for that be now we've gone down and are going to rebuild to an extent?

Re: If Warnock has said he will never manage in the PL again

can't argue with the logic

Whether he had said it or not it had to be the case.
    For a number of reasons including longevity my feeling was that it would be a good time to change as NW clearly is not a Premiership Manager and I would not want to see him fail in the Championship. He has done an enormous amount for CCFC and deserves to leave on a high. Leaving now would not be failure.
    Of course saying that we should change assumes that we would find the right manager and sooner than later and there is no guarantee of that.
    The benefit of NW staying is undoubtedly that he can hold the club together, provide continuity in what is always a difficult season after relegation but would have to release some players and bring in others.
    Come this time next year if we are promoted again he would need to be replaced and the expectation has to be that a new manager would be lined up ready to take over immediately.
    If we are not promotion material then his exit is all about when. Before the January transfer window?, during March or season end. Whichever way we need a plan B lined up.
    What he should expect if he stays is a fair deal in that the pressures to reduce wage bills, offload players, money to sign new should be the same whoever manages us next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    can't argue with the logic
    Not sure it's logic, but if I thought Warnock was going to be here for another few seasons, I wouldn't be suggesting this.

In the press conference after the Man Utd game Warnock was asked if he envisaged having another go in this division and replied ‘Not a cat in hell’s chance.’
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...uture-16264543

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

So many have said that he needs to stay to win us promotion again. In the event of that happening, what then? Warnock goes. We need a new manager who will look to impart a different style and want to bring in different players. What do we gain? A season of struggle and cluelessness.

If we don't win promotion, he'll go next season anyway. What do we gain? A nothing season where a new manager will come in at the end who will look to impart a different style and want to bring in different players. This will be exaggerated by the age of our defence.

Warnock's success causes these issues. While I can't say I'm a huge fan of our tactics I accept that it has been successful at Championship level and, had Warnock shown more faith in "having a go", maybe at PL level as well. But we're bound to have big changes whenever Warnock finishes. Wouldn't the best time for that be now we've gone down and are going to rebuild to an extent?
    He takes us up and then steps aside, can’t see the issue

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Far more likely for me is that, no matter what he is saying now, Neil Warnock will start fancying the challenge of one last chance to prove himself in the Premier League if we were to go up next season and would the Board realistically say "no, your contract is up and we want to look elsewhere" in such circumstances?

I'd prefer a change of manager now, but accept that we'd find it very hard to come up with a new manager as effective as the current one in terms of things like Championship expertise and motivation, so would not be too disappointed with him carrying on for next season, but this does have the potential to get very messy indeed.

The idea of a manager taking us to promotion and then stepping aside would put any new man under enormous pressure and, as Neil Warnock, apparently, concedes his approach is an almost unique one these days.

I think most agree that the current squad would not cope well with any change of approach to a more ball retention based game under a new manager and so someone coming in next summer after a promotion would be more or less forced into using a Warnock type approach in the short to medium term at least.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Nor me, didn’t Watford go through 3 or 4 managers in a season a few years back? Hardly rocked their boat did it. Just need to get the new appointment right

Warnock has said such things before. When out of a job I recall him saying many times on Talk Sport that he didn't want to go back into management as he was enjoying his new media life too much. A couple of weeks later he took the Rotherham job; hardly an attractive proposition for a man with his record. If we got promoted again, unlikely as it may seem, he would almost certainly relish the challenge irrespective of comments made now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

We've seen enough to know that the best we can hope for, playing the outdated way we do, is to yo-yo every few years. Some fans might accept that, but not all. Others think we should transition into a more modern style, as played by those who manage to stay in the Prem and make a fist of it. They've seen how it's done, and they want it here.

If you've kept an eye on this year's Champ you'll have seen how the top teams are playing. They seem not to have followed our model, preferring the more 'modern' style of Wolves or last year's Fulham. So we may well have to face some pretty good footballing sides next year.

However we can surely all agree that what we need right now is stability and unity. We can thank NW for making that possible. He seems the only one at the club with genuine football savvy and experience.

I'd like to see a quality Director of Football appointed, tasked with managing the transition to a new style of football integrated throughout the club from Academy to First Team, though not with managerial duties. That's what ruined Fulham: the owner's son took over his job such that Joka had to take on a shedload of players he didn't want.

Whether NW stays on or not, I'd like to see a period of transition under a DoF and if necessary a new manager working with him. If NW is happy to work that way, then fine.

It might mean having to wait before we'd be strong enough to compete at top level, and there are no guarantees.

But what's the alternative? The Jacks are having a great time at our expense: "Cardiff City always stay 4 seasons in the Prem - autumn, winter, spring and summer".

Seriously, what's the best way forward? Do we want to play that Prem-standard way that we've seen this year? Do we want to always be Cinderella going to the ball, home back in the Second Tier by midnight?

I really don't think the current ownership now has the commitment to re-build, whether with a DoF or not. I hope they prove me wrong.

I think which ever way we play without significant investment we will always be at best a yo-yo club.

I agree that there are more teams playing the wolvesalona way - but surely that makes it harder to be the best of that pack rather than the best at what we do and the way Neil gets the team to play.

The most important thing is to get back up again - and Neil I believe is the best person to do that - the footballing sides don't like playing against us in the championship.

We very nearly did the impossible and stayed up, if we keep the same players and get promoted next season then we will be better prepared than we were this time.

Once your up, then you can build.

As for the jacks taking the piss, I'm not worried - we've had two promotions to the Premier League and an FA cup final in the time they were there. I think we've got the best chance of being the next welsh side in the PL.

Seems a lot of people expecting to go straight back up

Lets be fair this is the cheapest option, and perhaps free's up more transfer cash , that would otherwise spent on a new manager and his team , plus players that he wants , and the expensive buying out of contracts.

Warnock said the last promotion came an year too early , on that basis he now has a nucleus of a squad who have both Premiership ,and championship experience , therefore are we in a better place ??

I was quite happy with the way we played on Sunday, ok, our possession percentage was low but when we had the ball we used it well. The move from the throw in for our second goal was something to behold, I can put up with that style of play.......if we can keep it up!

Simply put he is the best manager of anyone available with our current squad to get us back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Simply put he is the best manager of anyone available with our current squad to get us back up.
    ^^^^Erudite and totally realistic