+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newport (AFC) County

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Newport (AFC) County

Could be just one level below Cardiff soon.

I think they were one level above at some time in the not too distant past.

Re: Newport (AFC) County

Have they ever been at championship level? Chances are they will go back down as they always seem too. It would be an eye opener for some if we were ever in the same league, the hate they have is worse than Swansea do. Maybe things have moved on there like they have with us, but Newport is a weird rough place so I doubt it.....

County were above us in 1946/47 season, the year they lost 13-0 at Newcastle. We were in Division 3 south and were Champions so we passed each other as they were relegated. I think the only other time was 1986/87 , our first in Division 4 , when they were relegated , and then went out of the League the following season.

Interestingly they have beaten us more times in the League than we have beaten them, mostly in the 1930s.

Just to compare we have beaten Liverpool more times than they have beaten us, well up to the 1990s. At that time were were the only team to have a better record against Liverpool than they had against an opposition team. But we've lost 4 on the trot now.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Have they ever been at championship level? Chances are they will go back down as they always seem too. It would be an eye opener for some if we were ever in the same league, the hate they have is worse than Swansea do. Maybe things have moved on there like they have with us, but Newport is a weird rough place so I doubt it.....
    In the old days of Division 1 to 4, Newport got up to Div 3 (I think) whilst we were in Div 4.

Newport never been above level 3.

Thought so, apart from around 1982/1983 they have never been above us, only when we plummet do they become rivals. Usually, we are a few leagues apart and our fans decide they want them to do well, but like a little brother at sports day.....

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    In the old days of Division 1 to 4, Newport got up to Div 3 (I think) whilst we were in Div 4.

Newport never been above level 3.
    Wrong. See Cardiff 55

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Thought so, apart from around 1982/1983 they have never been above us, only when we plummet do they become rivals. Usually, we are a few leagues apart and our fans decide they want them to do well, but like a little brother at sports day.....
    wrong see Cardiff 55

County also played a few Second Division games in the 39/40 season which barely got started before the outbreak of war. They had won the Division 3 South title in 38/39 and a record of won one, drawn one and lost one (including a win over Southampton and a draw with Spurs) at the higher level before the declaration of war suggests that County may have done okay that season, but when the Football League restarted some seven years later, they were struggling from the start (they did manage to beat Newcastle 4-2 in the return game though) and finished six points adrift at the bottom of the table.

Remember when their home games on a Saturday kicked off at 3.15pm. Think it was to give fans who worked at Llanwern steel works a chance to get there after their shift ended ???

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Remember when their home games on a Saturday kicked off at 3.15pm. Think it was to give fans who worked at Llanwern steel works a chance to get there after their shift ended ???
    I'd forgotten about that, I also seem to remember them playing home midweek matches on a Monday for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd forgotten about that, I also seem to remember them playing home midweek matches on a Monday for some reason.
    Can you also remember when Torquay Utd used play on a Saturday evening? Never found out the reasoning behind that one.

Can you also remember when Torquay Utd used play on a Saturday evening? Never found out the reasoning behind that one.
    Yes, pretty sure we played down there early in the season in the League Cup and it was a Saturday evening kick off (I think Willie Brown, ex County, may have scored for them). I daresay that early and late season matches were played in the evening to enable people to go to the local beaches and get to a game on the same day, but I'm pretty sure they used to have Saturday night matches through the winter months as well.

I think that they used to play on Friday evenings.

Edit: Just found this posted on their website in 2017:

“Friday night football always excited me as a player, and fans have told me that it is something that they would like to see back at Plainmoor,” said Harrop.

“Moving some of our fixtures to a Friday night would allow more fans to come to the game, including footballers that play on a Saturday."

Yes, pretty sure we played down there early in the season in the League Cup and it was a Saturday evening kick off (I think Willie Brown, ex County, may have scored for them). I daresay that early and late season matches were played in the evening to enable people to go to the local beaches and get to a game on the same day, but I'm pretty sure they used to have Saturday night matches through the winter months as well.
    I was at the League Cup game in 1977 as I was on holiday with my folks and it was a Saturday evening. I think the town took a bit of damage and the local news was full of it the day after, also this was the game where a policeman died after being spat at.

Our games were always 3.15pm kick off as well and midweek games 7.15pm in the early/mid sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Our games were always 3.15pm kick off as well and midweek games 7.15pm in the early/mid sixties.
    I never knew that. Started going down the City early 70’s. Was there a similar reason to Newport?

I never knew that. Started going down the City early 70’s. Was there a similar reason to Newport?
    Saturday morning workers given a bit more time to make kick off was the definite 3.15 reason. I’d assume the 7.15 reason was down to transport reasons, car ownership was nowhere near what it is today so you’d imagine there was a big demand for trains & buses home, especially the out of Cardiff fans.

Saturday morning workers given a bit more time to make kick off was the definite 3.15 reason. I’d assume the 7.15 reason was down to transport reasons, car ownership was nowhere near what it is today so you’d imagine there was a big demand for trains & buses home, especially the out of Cardiff fans.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think that they used to play on Friday evenings.

Edit: Just found this posted on their website in 2017:

“Friday night football always excited me as a player, and fans have told me that it is something that they would like to see back at Plainmoor,” said Harrop.
    “Moving some of our fixtures to a Friday night would allow more fans to come to the game, including footballers that play on a Saturday."
    Are you sure it was a Friday night? I could have sworn it was Saturday evening?

Forum

Are you sure it was a Friday night? I could have sworn it was Saturday evening?
    They may very well have also played on Saturday evenings but the quote I posted also seems to refer to games they used to play on Friday evenings. Could be wrong but there you go.

International

When there was a rugby international and City had a home game we would kick-off Saturdays at 7.15. Lots of people then went to both games

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    They may very well have also played on Saturday evenings but the quote I posted also seems to refer to games they used to play on Friday evenings. Could be wrong but there you go.
    They did play on Saturday nights in the early seventies for sure because I can remember watching Match of the Day in my pre going out and getting pissed on that night days back in the early seventies when they would often give the result of the game played at Plaimoor that evening.

I also saw one of those old Big Match programmes from about forty years ago on BT Sport recently where they talked of Wimbledon being promoted the previous night after their game at Torquay.

They did play on Saturday nights in the early seventies for sure because I can remember watching Match of the Day in my pre going out and getting pissed on that night days back in the early seventies when they would often give the result of the game played at Plaimoor that evening.

I also saw one of those old Big Match programmes from about forty years ago on BT Sport recently where they talked of Wimbledon being promoted the previous night after their game at Torquay.
    Always used to be tranmere Friday night (obvious reasons) Newport 3.15 and Torquay sat night. Those were always the oddities. Happy days....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    Always used to be tranmere Friday night (obvious reasons) Newport 3.15 and Torquay sat night. Those were always the oddities. Happy days....
    Reading are still a bit quirky with their 8pm midweek kickoffs.