+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bellamy to lose position at Cardiff City after bullying claims

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Bellamy to lose position at Cardiff City after bullying claims

I've always thought that all of the stuff you hear in football about who would you want alongside you in the trenches is ludicrous and, in a way, offensive to those who did really fight in trenches, but it does tell you an awful lot about attitudes which, probably, still prevail in football. There is definitely a need for bravery in professional football, but maybe, with tackling becoming less and less of a part of the game, it is the sort of mental bravery I always associate with a player who is prepared to try things and perhaps fail as opposed to someone who sets out to avoid mistakes at all costs that is really important in the modern game.

Would shouting and bawling at young players or making them the butt of jokes in the way Bellamy is alleged to have done help encourage the bravery I talk about? It definitely would not have done in my case and I suspect that of most other teenage footballers. I can't help thinking that whether Bellamy is innocent or guilty of bullying, that it is still common in the pro game and, looked at it from any club's point of view, it, surely, has to be counter productive when the object of the exercise is either to produce first team footballers or players that can make you a lot of money when you sell them.

Re: Bellamy to lose position at Cardiff City after bullying claims

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always thought that all of the stuff you hear in football about who would you want alongside you in the trenches is ludicrous and, in a way, offensive to those who did really fight in trenches, but it does tell you an awful lot about attitudes which, probably, still prevail in football. There is definitely a need for bravery in professional football, but maybe, with tackling becoming less and less of a part of the game, it is the sort of mental bravery I always associate with a player who is prepared to try things and perhaps fail as opposed to someone who sets out to avoid mistakes at all costs that is really important in the modern game.

Would shouting and bawling at young players or making them the butt of jokes in the way Bellamy is alleged to have done help encourage the bravery I talk about? It definitely would not have done in my case and I suspect that of most other teenage footballers. I can't help thinking that whether Bellamy is innocent or guilty of bullying, that it is still common in the pro game and, looked at it from any club's point of view, it, surely, has to be counter productive when the object of the exercise is either to produce first team footballers or players that can make you a lot of money when you sell them.
    I m currently doing my football coach 1 course, it is amazing how coaching has moved on, the lecturer was talking about " silent sideline " and he said that ajax employ the method at youth level, a guy on the course said his team did it this season and it worked very well