Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
Craig Bellamy will lose his position as Cardiff academy coach after an investigation into bullying claims against him.

The former Wales captain has also agreed to undertake an education course following allegations of bullying, intimidation and xenophobia by an academy player.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...g-inquiry.html

I don't really know what to make of this.

My instinct is to defend Bellamy. For one, I imagine he was probably subjected to similar treatment as a young player himself (and stood up to it) and I imagine his approach has got a lot to do with his professional upbringing. Secondly, I understand that the families don't want this to happen to other people's kids but firstly I think it's totally unacceptable that Bellamy be ostracised and treated like some sort of child abuser. I can't imagine the family will ever be happy to see Bellamy get another role in the game at any level. But he should be allowed to work.

I like the idea that football with Wales should develop into a less "shouty-blokey" environment, and into one that is more positive, encourages conversation and is generally more civil, but it's an unfortunate fact of football that anyone wishing to be a professional will have to put up with criticism, banter and insults , which comes with the media and fan attention. I think that in most sports you have got to be ready to deal with this type of negative attention. Elite competitive sport is, by its very nature, very aggressive and generally, if you aren't able to put up with these demands, you are going to struggle.

I think it was right to make CB step down whilst the investigation took place and I think that his attending a course to help him communicate differently is not only going to be good for those working with him, but also for the man himself. Beyond that point, I'm not sure that sacking him is the right answer and should imagine it's in some part down to PR. He was doing quite well with the youth team after all wasn't he ? I think he should apologise to the family, go on a course and be given the benefit of the doubt and a second chance.

I'd like to see him manage CCFC one day and I hope possibility isn't completely scuppered because of this misdemeanour. It's a work place problem, not the national scandal that rags like the daily mail will have people think.