+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bellamy to lose position at Cardiff City after bullying claims

Re: Bellamy to lose position at Cardiff City after bullying claims

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Don't your daughters play sport at a decent level? I'm sure you've said as much on here, apologies if i'm wrong. What if they made the accusations to you about a coach who was singling them out, or humiliating them in front of their peers, how would you react? The problem i have with this thread is that the majority are angling towards Bellamy based on nothing and the under lying theme is one of youngsters being soft as shit these days. The lad or lads in question left home at 16 and went to pursue a career in football miles from home, away from their families, friends and environment in an industry where they have two year to prove themselves against their peers, having a bad day isn't optional-Soft they are not.
    indeed i do, oldest is playing netball to a regional standard

It is something i have thought about, her coach is Australian and has spoken to us about her going to Australia to play ( its the peak in the netball world ), she is doing her GCSE's currently and we have said she can go after her A-levels, but will that be a opportunity missed ? ? ? she wants to go next year

Now being British she will of course stand out ( though both the top leagues have a few English girls currently playing in them ) I know her coach would look after her , but yea, its a tough call, she will be on the other side of the world and all alone, i guess i just hope she would be able to stand up for herself ( which i would guess would be hard with CB )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    indeed i do, oldest is playing netball to a regional standard

It is something i have thought about, her coach is Australian and has spoken to us about her going to Australia to play ( its the peak in the netball world ), she is doing her GCSE's currently and we have said she can go after her A-levels, but will that be a opportunity missed ? ? ? she wants to go next year

Now being British she will of course stand out ( though both the top leagues have a few English girls currently playing in them ) I know her coach would look after her , but yea, its a tough call, she will be on the other side of the world and all alone, i guess i just hope she would be able to stand up for herself ( which i would guess would be hard with CB )
    Fair enough, I wish your daughter good luck, you must be very proud.

I've always thought that all of the stuff you hear in football about who would you want alongside you in the trenches is ludicrous and, in a way, offensive to those who did really fight in trenches, but it does tell you an awful lot about attitudes which, probably, still prevail in football. There is definitely a need for bravery in professional football, but maybe, with tackling becoming less and less of a part of the game, it is the sort of mental bravery I always associate with a player who is prepared to try things and perhaps fail as opposed to someone who sets out to avoid mistakes at all costs that is really important in the modern game.

Would shouting and bawling at young players or making them the butt of jokes in the way Bellamy is alleged to have done help encourage the bravery I talk about? It definitely would not have done in my case and I suspect that of most other teenage footballers. I can't help thinking that whether Bellamy is innocent or guilty of bullying, that it is still common in the pro game and, looked at it from any club's point of view, it, surely, has to be counter productive when the object of the exercise is either to produce first team footballers or players that can make you a lot of money when you sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    To counter that, I've heard from different sources that players in the Under 18 side are missing Bellamy and that he was highly regarded - I think when you are talking about someone who is involved in the coaching and selection of twenty or more youngsters on a regular basis you are always going to get widely differing opinions about them and I would have thought it was inevitable that there would be plenty of accusations of favouritism.
    As I have said previously, there is an unofficial sorting process that goes on in age group football, which weeds out the weak links who would totally destroy a professional football team. Watching the aftermath of the Derby game last night, you could see how together all the players were, and that unfortunately is what professional football is all about. You have to be mentally tough and a team player to survive, and only the select few will ever make the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always thought that all of the stuff you hear in football about who would you want alongside you in the trenches is ludicrous and, in a way, offensive to those who did really fight in trenches, but it does tell you an awful lot about attitudes which, probably, still prevail in football. There is definitely a need for bravery in professional football, but maybe, with tackling becoming less and less of a part of the game, it is the sort of mental bravery I always associate with a player who is prepared to try things and perhaps fail as opposed to someone who sets out to avoid mistakes at all costs that is really important in the modern game.

Would shouting and bawling at young players or making them the butt of jokes in the way Bellamy is alleged to have done help encourage the bravery I talk about? It definitely would not have done in my case and I suspect that of most other teenage footballers. I can't help thinking that whether Bellamy is innocent or guilty of bullying, that it is still common in the pro game and, looked at it from any club's point of view, it, surely, has to be counter productive when the object of the exercise is either to produce first team footballers or players that can make you a lot of money when you sell them.
    I m currently doing my football coach 1 course, it is amazing how coaching has moved on, the lecturer was talking about " silent sideline " and he said that ajax employ the method at youth level, a guy on the course said his team did it this season and it worked very well

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fair enough, I wish your daughter good luck, you must be very proud.
    thanks, it will be interesting to see how it pans out, personally i feel A levels first, but what the hell do i know eh

as long as they are happy, thats the main thing