Looks like the Jeremy Kyle programme may be taken off air permanently, thank God (not that I have one).
Using the most unfortunate members of society as entertainment fodder is pretty low, in my opinion.

I am just surprised that someone of his ilk has never been attacked or murdered away from the TV studios.

The author Heinrich Böll wrote 'Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum' (The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum) in 1974 and it was about a conservative young lady who, in a rare lapse of her own morals, meets a young man, who unknown to her is a suspected terrorist, at a party and takes him beach to her place. One of the German 'redtop' newspapers (yes, they have them in Germany too) vilifies her and twists descriptions of her as given by her neighbours and acquaintances. For 'level-headed' read 'cool and calculating' etc. She ends up being so distraught that she murders the reporter responsible for her vilification and effectively becomes the criminal that she is made out to be.

Artfully, before Chapter 1, Böll inserted the following statement:

"The characters and actions within this story are entirely fictitious. Should the description of journalistic practices result in the resemblance to the practices of Bild Zeitung [German equivalent of the Sun], such resemblance is neither intentional, nor fortuitious, rather unavoidable".