+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 years today since the Cup final

Re: 11 years today since the Cup final

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He means why was ours better attended than all the other finals.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I have, I might still have a copy of the game from an Australian stream somewhere where Mark Bosnich ripped into Enckelman for his cock up.

The one game I can't watch is the Blackpool playoff final.
    I've never been able to watch it either. These were two of the biggest games in our history and Dave Jones cocked up team selection each time. I remember my feeling of sheer disbelief when Jay Bothroyd came off early and the hopeless Kelvin Etuhu was brought on rather than Ross McCormack.

I actually preferred the semi-final day, a great day out and a great game. Even before the final started it all seemed too unreal. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    See above.
    Why would more people come out of the woodwork for Cardiff Portsmouth than, say, Chelsea Man U from the previous year?

It's a good question goats. Still unanswered.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I always thought that that day in 2008 was proof of the old saying “it is better to travel than arrive” the build up from semi final victory onwards was fantastic. The anticipation of the day was exciting, got butterflies in the stomach travelling up then the news of the team selection was disappointing and then the game started in it went downhill from there. The train journey back to High Wycombe station to collect my car and subsequent trip home was absolutely miserable. Like to do it again though.
    I have similar memories. The build-up was good fun but the day of the final wasn't particularly enjoyable and the game itself was really poor. It genuinely wouldn't rate in the top fifty days I had supporting City. Sadly, it fell into the 'instantly forgettable' bracket despite the significance of the event.

By contrast, the League Cup final was a great day out and a brilliant game.

Try again...

The build-up was epic, on here included when this board was much busier. Culminating in the nearly 6 weeks before the final when we knew we’d made it. Really a special time that could be savoured over months as we progressed.

I also enjoyed the day - travelling on the train packed-full of City fans, couple of pints in The Globe getting tourists on passing busses to do The Ayatollah, Abide With Me, feeling disappointed but proud of The City after the game. Also had a pint in the Portsmouth fans pub with a couple of Pompey friends and all good fun. Great time to be a City fan.

The FAcup game just wasn’t very good was it. I mean it was exciting to be in a Cup final, almost surreal in fact, but the day went by quickly and the game was just poor quality.

TheBlackpool game was devastating - and even more so than realised at the time as if we’d gone up then Tan wouldn’t have moved us into that god damn awful red.

The Liverpool game was exciting, Ben Turners goal brilliant but we still ended up losing a penalty shoot out where the opposing side missed both their first 2 pens!

Why would more people come out of the woodwork for Cardiff Portsmouth than, say, Chelsea Man U from the previous year?

It's a good question goats. Still unanswered.
    Pompey and Cardiff are 2 so called smaller teams, who can both muster big crowds if the sniff off glory is in the air. Especially us. Our first appearance since 1927 and a rare visit for Pompey was always gonna attract a massive crowd. When top 6 teams get to the final, it’s not so big a deal as they get to finals far more often than us.

Pompey and Cardiff are 2 so called smaller teams, who can both muster big crowds if the sniff off glory is in the air. Especially us. Our first appearance since 1927 and a rare visit for Pompey was always gonna attract a massive crowd. When top 6 teams get to the final, it’s not so big a deal as they get to finals far more often than us.
    Really? That's the reason about 50 more people attended our final than Chelsea vs Man Utd?

It wasn't a massive crowd because of two clubs finally getting a sniff of glory, it was a massive crowd because it was the FA cup final. It's always a massive crowd. But ours was slightly more massive than the others.

Really? That's the reason about 50 more people attended our final than Chelsea vs Man Utd?

It wasn't a massive crowd because of two clubs finally getting a sniff of glory, it was a massive crowd because it was the FA cup final. It's always a massive crowd. But ours was slightly more massive than the others.
    What are we talking in terms of difference, 100, 500, 1000? Anywhere around those figures has to mean that the seating allocation was different for our game. I can't see Chelsea, Liverpool, United etc not being able to sell the last couple of hundred tickets nd handing them back simply because they get to plenty of cup finals.

That’s my take on it. Why have you always got to be so arsey?. Why don’t you or Goats contact Wembley stadium and ask ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What are we talking in terms of difference, 100, 500, 1000? Anywhere around those figures has to mean that the seating allocation was different for our game. I can't see Chelsea, Liverpool, United etc not being able to sell the last couple of hundred tickets nd handing them back simply because they get to plenty of cup finals.
    Exactly, there's some technicality (the difference was less than 50) so it would be interesting to know what it was.

That’s my take on it. Why have you always got to be so arsey?. Why don’t you or Goats contact Wembley stadium and ask ?

See above

I also seem to recall reading that the highest peak tv audience for the Carling/League Cup was City against Liverpool.

Basically when City reach a cup final the records tumble

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    It was a great cup run. The home game against Wolves was some of our best football and then that magical win at the Boro. I was trying to soak up the atmosphere in the final but the whole day just went too quickly. It's something I'll never forget though.
    I managed to get to every game we played in the FA cup that year. It was a brilliant ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I also seem to recall reading that the highest peak tv audience for the Carling/League Cup was City against Liverpool.

Basically when City reach a cup final the records tumble
    It was up until a year or two ago I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    It was up until a year or two ago I think.
    Cardiff City v Liverpool 89,041 in 2012
    Spurs v Chelsea 89,294 in 2015

Bit more than that I’d have thought, a lot more in fact.

I was referring to tv audience like.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I was referring to tv audience like.
    I didn't realise football was shown on tv.

See above
    All tongue in cheek, but your such a seeeerrrious character. Bet your a bundle of fun to live with.
    Obviously ticket allocations get snapped up for an FA cup final. Croesy can probably tell you why our game had a slightly bigger allocation. He’s usually got all the answers.

All tongue in cheek, but your such a seeeerrrious character. Bet your a bundle of fun to live with.
    Obviously ticket allocations get snapped up for an FA cup final. Croesy can probably tell you why our game had a slightly bigger allocation. He’s usually got all the answers.
    After your performance last week, I'm not sure you can accuse anyone else of taking things too seriously

After your performance last week, I'm not sure you can accuse anyone else of taking things too seriously
    Didn’t think you’d want to bring that thread up again, seeing as you failed to produce a single shred of evidence to back up your wild accusation 😎