+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 years today since the Cup final

11 years today since the Cup final

Always remember the date because of Steve Thompson's song.

"...and on the 17th of May, we'll go down in history."

Re: 11 years today since the Cup final

Ramsey should have started

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    And Enkelman should have not.

Highest attendance in new Wembley's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Highest attendance in new Wembley's history.
    How is that? I’ve always wondered.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We're a massive club.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    And Enkelman should have not.
    Harsh, he’d done well up until then.
    That was a season where we had quite a few different first team Keepers.
    Turnbull, Schmeichel, Oakes and Enkelman.

Probaly something to do with less hospitality more real fans , perhaps less segregated areas ,just a guess ?

I wonder where the kid is [aged 6 to about 8]now.
    On the way out of the stadium he said to his father,
    "Never mind dad we'll win it next year"

I was at Wembley that day and remember looking round at all the City flags and feeling such pride. Bluebird flags from all over the world, Oz, Canada and Finland to name but a few. I've always loved the FA Cup, but never thought I'd see my team play in it.

Back in the day (I'm 52) the FA Cup was huge. Coverage would start from about 9am with fans from both teams competing in 'Its A Knockout' type of games etc, and go on well after the game had finished. We didn't get much live football on tv back in the 70's and 80's so I'd look forward to this for ages.

The strange thing about this is, I've watched every cup final on tv since Southampton v Utd 1976, apart from ours! I recorded the game but was that gutted I couldn't watch it when I got home. I don't think I've seen the winning goal since that day, as I turned the news over the next day too.
    After 11 years I'm still not ready to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I was at Wembley that day and remember looking round at all the City flags and feeling such pride. Bluebird flags from all over the world, Oz, Canada and Finland to name but a few. I've always loved the FA Cup, but never thought I'd see my team play in it.

Back in the day (I'm 52) the FA Cup was huge. Coverage would start from about 9am with fans from both teams competing in 'Its A Knockout' type of games etc, and go on well after the game had finished. We didn't get much live football on tv back in the 70's and 80's so I'd look forward to this for ages.

The strange thing about this is, I've watched every cup final on tv since Southampton v Utd 1976, apart from ours! I recorded the game but was that gutted I couldn't watch it when I got home. I don't think I've seen the winning goal since that day, as I turned the news over the next day too.
    Same - never watched the goal to this day. I'm 50 - my first final was the year before in 75 hammers v Fulham.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    Same - never watched the goal to this day. I'm 50 - my first final was the year before in 75 hammers v Fulham.
    I have, I might still have a copy of the game from an Australian stream somewhere where Mark Bosnich ripped into Enckelman for his cock up.

The one game I can't watch is the Blackpool playoff final.

I have, I might still have a copy of the game from an Australian stream somewhere where Mark Bosnich ripped into Enckelman for his cock up.

The one game I can't watch is the Blackpool playoff final.
    Got the DVD. Never watched it, but almost put it on today.

Haven't watched either 'final' after the fact. Probably never will. The Blackpool one haunts me more I'd say though, the FA cup run was reward enough in itself. I still think "what would've happened" had we won that play off final.

Despite losing (no surprise there) the league cup final is the one I'll treasure most for going toe to toe with Liverpool and that equaliser.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Haven't watched either 'final' after the fact. Probably never will. The Blackpool one haunts me more I'd say though, the FA cup run was reward enough in itself. I still think "what would've happened" had we won that play off final.

Despite losing (no surprise there) the league cup final is the one I'll treasure most for going toe to toe with Liverpool and that equaliser.
    Agree with all this. Absolutely no reason to ever watch them again, and Ben's goal is the best City moment I've ever had.

It was a great cup run. The home game against Wolves was some of our best football and then that magical win at the Boro. I was trying to soak up the atmosphere in the final but the whole day just went too quickly. It's something I'll never forget though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    It was a great cup run. The home game against Wolves was some of our best football and then that magical win at the Boro. I was trying to soak up the atmosphere in the final but the whole day just went too quickly. It's something I'll never forget though.
    For me, that cup run was the best phase of ever supporting City (48 years and counting). It eclipsed any if the promotions in sheer excitement in what was happening for me and my club.

Just think, all the little darlings who were 10/11 then, are little shits now of 21/22 !!!!!!

Still borrowing off dad

I always thought that that day in 2008 was proof of the old saying “it is better to travel than arrive” the build up from semi final victory onwards was fantastic. The anticipation of the day was exciting, got butterflies in the stomach travelling up then the news of the team selection was disappointing and then the game started in it went downhill from there. The train journey back to High Wycombe station to collect my car and subsequent trip home was absolutely miserable. Like to do it again though.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post

Great memories chatted with her indoors about that very same thing this morning , about the midday to teatime TV watch whole families would watch it .

I have to say I've not watched many modern (not 3pm) FA Cup games , other than going to our own , which took my breath away seeing so many City fans in a cracking stadium.

How sad it is now , where you see two Premiership sides ,and one is a massive underdog.

Were turning into other leagues , where the few dominate .

Everyone came out of the woodwork.

Middlesbrough was the highlight for me - we went to a decent Premier League side and played them off the park.

The one thing that always frustrates me about that day, was our lack of quality up front.
    When you think of some of the prolific strikers we’ve had over the last 30 yrs, we just didn’t have a natural goal scorer in that final.
    JFH was at the end of his career and fell over more times than Norman Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Everyone came out of the woodwork.
    He means why was ours better attended than all the other finals.

...because there were more people in there than any other time