+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midfielders for next season.

Re: Midfielders for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Craig Bryson is out of contract and would be a championship version of Harry Arter. Whilst Ralls struggled this season cast your mind back to our promotion year and he put in some great performances. I also think like some others that Reid would do a great job in midfield with a couple of ball winners around him. David Meyler is a player who has always done well against us and I think Reading want to get shot of him due to a falling out of some sort. He’d also lend a huge amount of experience and some leadership to the midfield which we currently don’t really have following our departures.
    Please, NO!

Let's try and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Good shout.
    But does he play the same role as Reid ?
    Same goes for Nick Powell
    I like the 2 at QPR, Freeman and Luongo.

If QPR still have financial problems maybe they would sell.

Lee Evans looked really good for Sheff Utd, but got offloaded to Wigan and hasn’t played much there.
    Any one know the story ?
    He could be a cheap option.
    Only 24 and the type of project Warnock thrives on.

Paul Coutts has been released at Sheffield too. Their fans seem to rate him. Can’t really say I know much about him

Another one who impressed last season was Ben Pearson at Preston. Again, no idea what he would cost, just throwing a name out there.

Volks and Ampadu are also names likely to be linked.
    I was listening to the Blakey's Bootroom and had to agree when Paul Abbandonato said that the front four at Manchester United caused their defence so many problems at Old Trafford that you'd back them to do the business in the Championship all day long. Yes, I know the Manchester United defence is nowhere near as good as it once was, but all of them would be among the best defenders in the Championship if they were turning out at that level every week. It's for this reason that I tend to agree with you that a number ten type wouldn't be a priority (Paterson was very effective in that position in the second tier as well).

I like Freeman at QPR and he would give us the quality dead ball delivery we possibly lacked this season, but I feel we'd have to think about leaving one of the two wingers out if we were going to play him and Warnock loves his wingers. Luongo plays deeper these days and I think it's in that area that we have the most need for new midfielders, but I wonder if he is physical enough to be a Warnock player?

Lee Evans = "bit of a nutter" (that's what I was told by someone who has a good knowledge of players from this part of the world).

Coutts is a talented ball player who tends to be used out wide, he could be an excellent free transfer signing, but has suffered a lot with injuries in recent years.

Ben Pearson picked up fourteen yellow cards and three red ones in the season just ended - there was a time when I would have said "typical Warnock player", but we're a bunch of shrinking violets lately .

Like a few others, I think Valks is a real possibility for us.

As for Ampadu, absolutely no chance.

Not seen a great deal of Turnbull, but he sounds like a real prospect and I'm fairly sure he could actually be a player who would make is money when he left us.

Vaulks and Turnbull would be great additions, although Motherwell want at least their record sale so he'd cost at least £2m, have they forgiven us for Quinn?

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Most likely be Paterson, Bacuna, Ralls, Reid and one other.
    If we have aspirations to go for immediate promotion we surely cannot have Ralls in our starting eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    If we have aspirations to go for immediate promotion we surely cannot have Ralls in our starting eleven.
    Yeah- cos he did so badly last time 😂

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Vaulks and Turnbull would be great additions, although Motherwell want at least their record sale so he'd cost at least £2m, have they forgiven us for Quinn?
    Are you just reminded me Paul Quinn ,our missing link ,loved the madness he created , lol.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd be worried about that line up if I'm honest and we truly do want to progress ,as someone has suggested :Nick Powell is a good name, still only 25.
    Jack Rodwell .
    Glenn Whelan.

??
    Rodwell and Whelan you must be joking right?

What is it I'm not seeing in Ralls that others are? Hess mid table championship player at best imo

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    What is it I'm not seeing in Ralls that others are? Hess mid table championship player at best imo
    I am not sure a mid table championship side would have him in their starting eleven ?

I am amazed no one has mentioned Matt Smith yet. The welsh one not the lump at QPR!

I am not sure a mid table championship side would have him in their starting eleven ?
    Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one who held such an opinion. I remember him having a good game in our away win at Wolves, other than that I thought he was just average.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one who held such an opinion. I remember him having a good game in our away win at Wolves, other than that I thought he was just average.
    And yet he was an automatic selection in a team which came second - I thought he'd handle the Premier League better than he did, but Id be happy enough with him in our central midfield all next season as long as we sign someone to replace Gunnar and someone else who can provide good quality cover in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I am amazed no one has mentioned Matt Smith yet. The welsh one not the lump at QPR!
    That would be brilliant, I just wouldn’t expect us to be able to get him

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And yet he was an automatic selection in a team which came second - I thought he'd handle the Premier League better than he did, but Id be happy enough with him in our central midfield all next season as long as we sign someone to replace Gunnar and someone else who can provide good quality cover in that area.
    Warnock calls Ralls his "Ralls Royce" and has definite Premier League quality. He's got limitations but he's a Championship midfield player. I've come away from plenty of games this season thinking he was our best player, which is either praise or an indictment on our squad. Either way, I think Warnock will put him in the team and have him as the first player on the teamsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    That would be brilliant, I just wouldn’t expect us to be able to get him
    He's had a loan at Twente, Championship would be a natural progression. Whether Pep would let Warnock have a player is a different matter though.

I agree, average at best. One paced - slow to think and act, can't dictate play, gets caught on the wrong side of players when defending, takes far too many touches, can't use his weaker foot and can't see the killer ball. He's a plodder.

Ralls blows hot and cold. When he returned to our side early this year, he was our top performing midfielder for a while, yet I don't see him as a midfielder who offers any drive or purpose to our midfield, while his passing isn't the best, certainly not at PL standards.

I'd have him as cover but, for me, our midfield needs a complete overhaul. The only centre midfielder I'd have from last season is Camarasa, yet I fear he'd drift in and out of games in the Championship, where things are more competitive. Arter would be ok, but that's it.

Joe has always been a bit marmite,for me,he’s a good option in midfield,yes he doesn’t always pick out the right pass but I’ve been struck by the lack of forward movement by our strikers which often makes our midfielders look static,my worry is that Neil rates Bacuna so highly, every game he’s played at home he’s been anonymous and the game seems to just pass him by, lots of names have been bandied about on here for this position next season, personally, I think it’s going to be the most vital part of the team to get right but I don’t think there is an obvious affordable option out there, hopefully we can pick up a rough diamond going cheap somewhere!.

Any midfielder from Bristol City. If only to annoy the shit out of them again.

Ralls was decent in the Championship and will be better for the experience of last season. He's already here and with holes to fill in midfield, I would be shocked if we didn't use him.

Bacuna, I'm willing to give him more time to settle in. He's only just arrived and definitely got better as he got more starts.

What we need is someone who can play deeper and pick a pass. He doesn't need legs really, as long as he has a footballing brain.

As has already been said, the front four look as good as anything in the Championship.

I think a Pato and Ralls combo would work well.

I don’t think Ralls showed he’s premier league quality at all, but in the Champ he was a top performer for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ralls blows hot and cold. When he returned to our side early this year, he was our top performing midfielder for a while, yet I don't see him as a midfielder who offers any drive or purpose to our midfield, while his passing isn't the best, certainly not at PL standards.

I'd have him as cover but, for me, our midfield needs a complete overhaul. The only centre midfielder I'd have from last season is Camarasa, yet I fear he'd drift in and out of games in the Championship, where things are more competitive. Arter would be ok, but that's it.
    Totally agree Eric. Cover is a good option but I fear Warnock will continue to play favourite faces.
    I believe Hoilet will also command a place.
    A complete overhaul is required, or perhaps coachPatterson to play there.

Totally agree Eric. Cover is a good option but I fear Warnock will continue to play favourite faces.
    I believe Hoilet will also command a place.
    A complete overhaul is required, or perhaps coachPatterson to play there.
    It's my concern too. I'd hate to think that we'd start the season with Ralls and Bacuna together in midfield and that he'd also go with Peltier (yeah, I know he does well whenever called upon, but we need a rightback who can get forward more). A new starting rightback and NOT a squad player who is cover for Peltier.

Yeah, why on earth would Warnock go back and pick the players who got us 90 points last time we were in the Championship.

He must be mad...

Lads, Morrison, Ralls, Hoillet, Patterson are proven at this level and in fairness didn’t do too bad this season when you look at what they were up against.

We’ve got enough to do to sort the 2 other spots in midfield and a 20 goal striker without trying to fix things that certainly aren’t broken.

I think any team in the championship would take Joe Ralls.