Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
Burnley don't play like we do, they don't constantly give the ball back to their opponents, forget the possession stats, teams like us and Burnley are always going to be down the rankings in that category. It's fine to give up possession, it's how you line up when you've not got the ball and how you use it when you get it back, time after time we give the ball straight back, except against United, Wolves, Leicester to a lesser degree, Arsenal away we tried to play Southampton away for the last twenty minutes we were more composed etc, there's a common theme to not giving the ball back easily. Wimbledon and Watford evolved, and your Cambridge comparison must be going back to the early nineties when they had Dion Dublin playing for them and they were managed by John Still, how long did that last for?

You seem to use extremes in order to prove your point, using words like 'tippy tappy' and referring to Trollope as if that's enough evidence to back up your opinion, nobody is asking for Trollope style football which was bereft of pace and end product, neither are they advocating Tippy Tappy football, that's nonsense, we've never been a club like that, we've never had fans who demand that either. What i believe people want is a balance, a bit of the Warnock up and at em' and intensity mixed in with a bit of calculation and thought when in possession, It's not radical.

Our biggest problem (in my opinion) is how we surrender possession, especially when we don't have much in the first place. Time after time we just lump the ball up towards better players who use the ball effectively and we eventually get punished at a higher level. There were so many occasions last season where players were looking for an out, a simple ball, especially in midfield, it wasn't available and it almost always meant that we gave the ball straight back. We can't continue to do that against good players as we'll get punished. If that part of our game can be eradicated to a degree then we have a chance at the highest level. The Warnock wingers can stay, the low level possession wont be a problem. What is a huge problem is that our midfield have no options, dwell on the ball and act desperately in order to get rid of the ball, the rest is history. I don't think anyone wants a revolution, just some serious tweeks in the correct areas.
I agree. Cambridge had a couple of good seasons with the long ball and Dion Dublin. They went from the 4th Division to close to the top of the 2nd division and they almost made it to the 1st . But they didn't. And it certainly wasn't sustainable.