+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Playoffs stat

Playoffs stat

5 of this season's 6 playoff fixtures across the 3 divisions were won by the team playing away in the 2nd leg. Only Charlton won at home, and that despite losing the game at home and relying on penalties. Only West Brom won a second leg at home yet still lost on penalties.

This means only 1 team finishing 3rd or 4th (4th or 5th for league 2) will compete in a playoff final.

Re: Playoffs stat

I think we are saying a change in the way teams approach two legged games. I always prefer one-off ties, but recent 2-legged games have been quite exciting. It used to be the best team would get through more often than not in 2 legged games, not sure that has been the case of late.

Re: Playoffs stat

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    I think we are saying a change in the way teams approach two legged games. I always prefer one-off ties, but recent 2-legged games have been quite exciting. It used to be the best team would get through more often than not in 2 legged games, not sure that has been the case of late.
    For a while, the thought that playing home in the 2nd leg gives the higher placed team an advantage has not really applied to the playoffs, where the pressure often affects the home team.