+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Etheridge. How much should a chasing club have to pay?

Etheridge. How much should a chasing club have to pay?

WOL are suggesting that West Ham would need to pay £10m
    Even though Etheridge isn’t the finished article and could get better that figure seems very low at a time when already high transfers are about to get even higher.

My view based on if they want him they will pay would be £30m. It may be a silly number but as we saw with Murphy and Reid £10-£12m isn’t very much any more.

Re: Etheridge. How much should a chasing club have to pay?

Before I opened the thread, my immediate reaction was about £10 million

Fabianski went for less than that and I regard him as a marginally better keeper.

Etheridge is twenty nine as well, I'd be happy enough with £10 million if we did sell him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Etheridge is twenty nine as well, I'd be happy enough with £10 million if we did sell him.
    Agree with that. £10m would be a good return taking his distribution into account and the fact that Smithies would hopefully be a ready made replacement.

Goalkeepers tend not to peak before they reach 30.

I still think £10 million is a fair price for him though.

20 million euros.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Even though Etheridge isn’t the finished article and could get better that figure seems very low at a time when already high transfers are about to get even higher.

My view based on if they want him they will pay would be £30m. It may be a silly number but as we saw with Murphy and Reid £10-£12m isn’t very much any more.

Unless he has a burning desire to go, then we should keep Etheridge, as I think he will be one of if not the best keeper in the Championship next season.

If we were going to off load anyone I would rather it be Smithies and keep Murphy as back up

£10m-£15m

Why would you be happy with that? He’s arguably our best player. Do you think our ownership would them sanction buying a better replacement at I’m assuming a higher price?

Sounds like you’re saying we can sacrifice a keeper for someone not as good as that means we could buy a better outfield player?

Have Walsall got a sell on clause?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Have Walsall got a sell on clause?
    He was out of contract with Walsall (rejected their new contract offer) and came to us on a free.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Why would you be happy with that? He’s arguably our best player. Do you think our ownership would them sanction buying a better replacement at I’m assuming a higher price?

Sounds like you’re saying we can sacrifice a keeper for someone not as good as that means we could buy a better outfield player?
    We've already got a very good Championship keeper in Smithies (ask QPR fans about him), and we could get someone good to compete for a few mil. We could then fill the holes in our midfield. It isn't an ideal situation but if we can reinvest the fee elsewhere then it isn't a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We've already got a very good Championship keeper in Smithies (ask QPR fans about him), and we could get someone good to compete for a few mil. We could then fill the holes in our midfield. It isn't an ideal situation but if we can reinvest the fee elsewhere then it isn't a nightmare.
    Obviously, but you are making the presumption that any money received for players will go into a budget to be spent on players. That’s flawed thinking. Ask the Jacks

IMAO £10million is nowhere near enough. He's a constant performer & has won us numerous points over the last two seasons. Why start selling prized assets when the club want to challenge for an immediate return. Pickford was £25M & he's a total liability.

10m cash and a few add-ons is worth selling, he is a very good shot stopper, but is not perfection and smithies is just as effective at championship level.

Also from his perspective, this is his purple patch and he hasn't really cashed in yet on being a professional player, I expect a big contract is really needed at 29.

My comparison would be to Jack Butland who proved to be an extremely talented shot-stopper in the premier league, not quite good enough in terms of distribution (yet) to be signed by a top-half premier league team and now plays in the Championship. Butland is deemed too important to Stoke to sell and maybe Etheridge should be considered in that bracket as well.

Which clubs may be interested in him? In the Premier league I would suggest most clubs are settled with their first-choice keeper selection so will either be looking at him as a number 2 (potentially West Ham or Watford) or we're looking at a rival at the top of the championship. How much

How much should a chasing club have to pay? Depends on the chasing club and how much we can get out of them. If it is a club looking for a number 2 then perhaps Danny Ward becomes the comparison.

£20m.

StT.
    <><

In terms of clubs who might be interested, who are Derby and Aston Villa's goalies? I think those two are perhaps the only premier league clubs looking at him as their new number 1.

The days of keepers and defenders being much cheaper seems to have ended.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    In terms of clubs who might be interested, who are Derby and Aston Villa's goalies? I think those two are perhaps the only premier league clubs looking at him as their new number 1.

Villa's 2nd choice keeper, is Croatia's 1st choice keeper & appeared in the World Cup Finals last year, he had a dodgy start & Steer is keeping him out. Having just paid £6m, I can't see them moving him on after just 8 games.

I can't see Derby replacing Scott Carson

Cardiff city’s magic number 5 million

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

The post is based on the story that West Ham want him!

Marshall went for 4m so for 10m Warnock would drive him to West Ham, and he rates Smithies bought for £4m?

NOT THE FINISHED ARTICLE !!!!!!!!!!!

He’s bloody 30 next birthday, leaving it a bit late, in he

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Obviously, but you are making the presumption that any money received for players will go into a budget to be spent on players. That’s flawed thinking. Ask the Jacks
    That's why I said if.