+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An embarrassment for Cardiff City

An embarrassment for Cardiff City

It's should be an embarrassment to Cardiff City Barnsley have four players in the latest Welsh squad and we have none. If they can do it we surely should too. It's about time Cardiff City got its act together on the youth front.

Re: An embarrassment for Cardiff City

Would they get in our team.?

I'd say that's more of an embarrassment for Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    It's should be an embarrassment to Cardiff City Barnsley have four players in the latest Welsh squad and we have none. If they can do it we surely should too. It's about time Cardiff City got its act together on the youth front.
    They are more than welcome to join our development side 👍

Its hard enough anyway without adding have you got a Welsh grand parent or were you born in Germany when your father was in the forces.

Good old Barnsley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its hard enough anyway without adding have you got a Welsh grand parent or were you born in Germany when your father was in the forces.

Good old Barnsley.
    Are all Barnsley's Welshies born in Germany,was it a student exchange thing ?

I agree Simon,as capital of Wales it is embarrassing that we have no players in Welsh squad! We were the most English side in the Premier. Bournemouth signed two Welshman that we should have gone for, and I agree we have to sort out our academy otherwise we will continue to sign too many journeymen with no sell on value! Hopefully we will sign a few in the next window.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Would they get in our team.?
    That's missing the point. The Welsh selectors deem four players are good enough to come from Barnsley yet none from Cardiff City. if I was a member of the youth back room team I would be embarrassed by that stat.

That's missing the point. The Welsh selectors deem four players are good enough to come from Barnsley yet none from Cardiff City. if I was a member of the youth back room team I would be embarrassed by that stat.
    Its a training squad. Have any of these Barnsley Welsh qualified players come theough their youth system?

Dont think they have.

When the full squad is announced 3 will have probably come from ours maybe 4.

So we should be embarrassed that Barnsley have signed 4 players who qualify for Wales, many of which most of us hadn't heard of? Its an embarrassment that Cardiff City don't have Kieffer Moore?

None of the payers were produced by Barnsley. Williams is from Blackburn, Hedges from Everton (and Flint), Davies also Everton and Moore has come through non-league. There are legitimate criticisms of Cardiff's youth academy, but to criticise us for not signing 4 guys who would be (at best) squad players for Wales is bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    So we should be embarrassed that Barnsley have signed 4 players who qualify for Wales, many of which most of us hadn't heard of? Its an embarrassment that Cardiff City don't have Kieffer Moore?

None of the payers were produced by Barnsley. Williams is from Blackburn, Hedges from Everton (and Flint), Davies also Everton and Moore has come through non-league. There are legitimate criticisms of Cardiff's youth academy, but to criticise us for not signing 4 guys who would be (at best) squad players for Wales is bizarre
    Again missing the point. I'm not on about we should have signed them. I'm in about our failure of a youth team has failed to provide any players for this Squad.

Again missing the point. I'm not on about we should have signed them. I'm in about our failure of a youth team has failed to provide any players for this Squad.
    Wrong.

And you're right. However this has nothing to do with Barnsley signing four players who have been called up.

The fact that a Yorkshire club which, apparently, seeks out Welsh qualified players has more representation in the latest Wales training squad than us should not, necessarily, be an embarrassment for us, but the fact that, yet again, a Wales senior squad contains no one contracted with the capital city club should be a real source of shame for Cardiff City and their failing Academy management.

Last season Cameron Coxe was in the equivalent squad when it was named, this time there's no sign of him. Now, I'm not going to be too critical of City for that fact alone, because he was out for weeks in the second half of the season with an injury. so that may be the reason for his absence.

However, before his injury, the first part of 18/19 has seen no sign whatsoever of any tangible progress in his career as he turned out week after week for the Bermuda Triangle equivalent that is our Development team without even getting the one opportunity to play first team football that he had in 17/18. Bizarrely, there was no loan out to gain that first team experience if he was not going to be afforded it here and so I would argue that, like too many before at Cardiff, he did not "develop", he regressed once he left youth team qualified age.

Apparently, we want Coxe to sign a new contract, but I must ask why when, based on previous evidence, the policy at the club as practiced by a succession of managers, including this one, is to give no locally produced Academy youngster a game in a first team league match which has something riding on it?

Going off on a tangent, perhaps it’s a good reason to drop the awful ‘Oh England is full of shit’ & replace it with ‘Oh when the blues go marching in’, seeing as without English players we’d be knackered.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Going off on a tangent, perhaps it’s a good reason to drop the awful ‘Oh England is full of shit’ & replace it with ‘Oh when the blues go marching in’, seeing as without English players we’d be knackered.
    Not only do we have to rely heavily on the English to bolster our squad, we also rely on playing in the English leagues to stay competitive.
    Same with the cricket.

Nothing new though is it? In the 70's all the best young talent in South Wales was snapped up by teams outside Wales (Bristol City and Rovers to name but two). If we're not developing our younger players, is it because we're taking on the least talented? It seems, as usual, that if we do have any good young players, they're still being snapped up by the bigger clubs, and who can blame them in this money merry go round.

Young Welsh player is approached by a scout from Liverpool/ Man U/ Man City / Cardiff City - who will he sign for?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Nothing new though is it? In the 70's all the best young talent in South Wales was snapped up by teams outside Wales (Bristol City and Rovers to name but two). If we're not developing our younger players, is it because we're taking on the least talented? It seems, as usual, that if we do have any good young players, they're still being snapped up by the bigger clubs, and who can blame them in this money merry go round.

Young Welsh player is approached by a scout from Liverpool/ Man U/ Man City / Cardiff City - who will he sign for?
    There is no comparison whatsoever between the current situation and the 70s. In fact, there is no comparison between the current situation and any period in our history apart from the last few years because, up until then, there was always a nucleus of Welsh/locally produced players in our senior starting eleven.

Are we really to believe that Cardiff and district either stopped producing players of the required standard shortly after Aaron Ramsey emerged from our Academy or that we as a club just stopped signing players of the required standard from this area around that time?

Far more likely to me is that;-
    1. The senior staff at our Academy have botched the handling of the transition of promising sixteen to eighteen year olds to first team debutantes.
    2. A succession of Cardiff managers have, possibly with backing from the club's Board and owners, ignored youth development as a means of improving both the club's playing strength and financial position.

At the end of the day, does it really matter anymore if we don’t have any local players in our squad, or aren’t producing any decent ones through the academy?
    In an ideal world, we’d be producing players like Ramsey every couple of seasons, and have a few good ins in our 1st 11.
    The bonus being, we get to see local talent on the pitch and the club cash in when they move on.
    In the modern world though, most people want everything now, and in football, lots of managers at the high end can’t afford to gamble on youth, because they’ll be horsed out if doesn’t work out toot sweet.
    When Celtic won the European cup in 1967, 14 of the 15 man squad were born with in 10 miles of Parkhead. The other one was born 30 miles away. As much as I’m not keen on Celtic and all the shite that goes with them, that has surely got to be one of the greatest feats ever in the game.
    The top 6 in England only have a combined smattering of English players, and top clubs in Europe are turning more and more to foreigners.
    I have no problem with talented youth getting snapped up by the bigger clubs, because we now have some of the most promising players in my lifetime in the Welsh squad. Lots of them are not born here, but have ties, and if they choose to play for us, then all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There is no comparison whatsoever between the current situation and the 70s. In fact, there is no comparison between the current situation and any period in our history apart from the last few years because, up until then, there was always a nucleus of Welsh/locally produced players in our senior starting eleven.

Are we really to believe that Cardiff and district either stopped producing players of the required standard shortly after Aaron Ramsey emerged from our Academy or that we as a club just stopped signing players of the required standard from this area around that time?

Far more likely to me is that;-
    1. The senior staff at our Academy have botched the handling of the transition of promising sixteen to eighteen year olds to first team debutantes.
    2. A succession of Cardiff managers have, possibly with backing from the club's Board and owners, ignored youth development as a means of improving both the club's playing strength and financial position.
    I sometimes think that football managers and politicians have something in common i.e. they have to primarily concentrate on the short-term rather than the long-term as they may not be in situ a few years hence. A club's owner should think more long-term, of course...

We have produced a player in this squad, and because he was good we lost him to Man City.

Thats the problem with the youth system. Not because we aren't producing 3rd division "Welsh" players

The best Welsh players are too expensive for us. The affordable ones aren't good enough, particularly when in the PL last season.

Those we do bring through worth anything have been and will be bought up by bigger clubs, speculating on their potential and stockpiling talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The best Welsh players are too expensive for us. The affordable ones aren't good enough, particularly when in the PL last season.

Those we do bring through worth anything have been and will be bought up by bigger clubs, speculating on their potential and stockpiling talent.
    So how come other clubs of a comparable size to us are still producing their own first team players?

The desperation to defend the club's abysmal recent record in this thread is baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    We have produced a player in this squad, and because he was good we lost him to Man City.

Thats the problem with the youth system. Not because we aren't producing 3rd division "Welsh" players
    We are a club that has spent the vast majority of its Football League existence in the top two divisions and for 90% of that time have had home produced players in our first team, so, I'm sorry, but I don't understand your 3rd division comment at all.

Are you saying that one player who signed Manchester City in the past few years offers proof that our youth development system is working?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We are a club that has spent the vast majority of its Football League existence in the top two divisions and for 90% of that time have had home produced players in our first team, so, I'm sorry, but I don't understand your 3rd division comment at all.

Are you saying that one player who signed Manchester City in the past few years offers proof that our youth development system is working?
    I would say the exact opposite. We couldn't even keep hold of the one and only player we have produced in years shows our youth setup is failing on every front.