+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An embarrassment for Cardiff City

Re: An embarrassment for Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I would say the exact opposite. We couldn't even keep hold of the one and only player we have produced in years shows our youth setup is failing on every front.
    Because Manchester City poached him, you can hardly blame the club for losing Matondo

The Premiership and Championship are 'global leagues' with a global audience and a global 'player supermarket'.
    I personally prefer the 'old days' of bringing on your own players from youth development. It helps with a club's identity and helps fans identify with players.
    This can be applied to other British sports, such as ice hockey, rugby and cricket.
    We also have seen the changing shape of our high streets and local shopping areas. There used to be a natural emphasis on local produce with local shop owners. Cafe's and tea rooms would usually be locally owned.
    Now in our desperate need for immediacy, throwaway society, 'anything from anywhere', often cheap and cheerful and allegedly corrupt multi national and national corporatisation, society (and that includes sports) is reaping what it has sown.
    I have boycotted Tesco for the last 20 years, buy local where ever possible, never ever use Starbucks, etc. and only use independents.
    Football, sports and society has changed radically over the last 5 to 20 years and not necessarily for the better.
    The cat's out of the bag and is highly unlikely to revert back to the 'good old days' any time soon.
    At Premier and top end Championship level, teams have to buy the best available to them and as others have mentioned, managers are judged in the relatively short term.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    It's should be an embarrassment to Cardiff City Barnsley have four players in the latest Welsh squad and we have none. If they can do it we surely should too. It's about time Cardiff City got its act together on the youth front.
    What a joke

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We are a club that has spent the vast majority of its Football League existence in the top two divisions and for 90% of that time have had home produced players in our first team, so, I'm sorry, but I don't understand your 3rd division comment at all.

Are you saying that one player who signed Manchester City in the past few years offers proof that our youth development system is working?
    No, I was trying to say our system has produced a player in the squad, Barnsley's youth system has produced none.
    We all know our academy is not up to much.

nail on the head JDerrida

globalisation not only in industry but globalisation in sport for the elites is the norm nowadays

can't see it changing in the future either . like it or lump it !

on the basis of above are academy's value for money in this current climate ? gringo keeps telling me everything is changing but I,m not too sure about that

Our academy is patently not value for money but they definitely should be and are a big part of the future for forward thinking clubs. Not only do they bring through players who will help teams attain better league positions but the very best products of the academy sell for multiple millions.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Going off on a tangent, perhaps it’s a good reason to drop the awful ‘Oh England is full of shit’ & replace it with ‘Oh when the blues go marching in’, seeing as without English players we’d be knackered.
    Like Man City? Or Lpool you mean?

Noone NEEDS english playera these days. It’s just that our manager is a xenophobic prick.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

Noone NEEDS english playera these days. It’s just that our manager is a xenophobic prick.
    You do need a certain amount for registration rules

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

Filipino
    Welsh
    English
    Icelandic
    Scottish
    Irish
    Canadian
    Dutch
    Ivorian
    Gabonese
    Plus Oumar Niasse

You do know what a Xenophobic person is I take it !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If we had a Cat 1 Academy like Swansea we could have kept Matondo and would possibly eventually had a 50m player on our books.Cannot understand why we do not upgrade our academy, at present we are losing money and not producing any Championship/Premiership standard players?

I kind of want the FA to impose a condition to Welsh clubs to contain a certain amount of Welsh players in their squads. It really grates me we don't have any starting Welsh players.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I kind of want the FA to impose a condition to Welsh clubs to contain a certain amount of Welsh players in their squads. It really grates me we don't have any starting Welsh players.
    Catch 22 though isn’t it, the ones we’d want we can’t afford and the ones we can afford aren’t good enough. Top English clubs are in the same boat, it concerns Southgate as well apparently.