+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Equalty means so much to the BBC

If Equalty means so much to the BBC

Why do they have a BBC woman footballer of the year, and not a male one too?

If somewhere I've missed that there is such an award I apologise in advance

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48353915

Re: If Equalty means so much to the BBC

Imagine actually caring about this. Men have plenty of representation in football, there’s no harm in the BBC trying to shine more light on the women’s game

And what about the absence of MOWO Awards?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

What with all the cooking, washing, cleaning and ironing, I don’t know how they find the time to play football !!!!

Here come the snowflakes

The original poster does have a point. Where is the award for junior footballer, lgbt footballer, etc, etc. Sexist old stick in the mud broadcaster!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What with all the cooking, washing, cleaning and ironing, I don’t know how they find the time to play football !!!!

Here come the snowflakes
    It's why their feet are smaller to get closer to the cooker

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Here come the snowflakes

The BBC have run a number of pieces - in the last 48 hours - on its website featuring Ada Hegerberg, who won’t be playing for Norway in the World Cup because of a perceived lack of equality between the men’s and women’s teams.

Given the rigours of FFP, how can women desire their sport to be a parasitical financial entity, sapping funds from the men’s game? If the women’s game makes money through attendances, sponsors and TV revenue then that should be redistributed to players as pay. Expecting men’s football to subsidise women’s football is an admission that the product/sport is not as enjoyable/competitive/lucrative. This preposterous social engineering is putting me off watching women’s football - something I have done without fail for every major tournament over the past 15 years.

The reason the BBC push woman's football is not because of any moral compass. They are trying to populise it to make up for all the men's football they have lost over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    The reason the BBC push woman's football is not because of any moral compass. They are trying to populise it to make up for all the men's football they have lost over the years.
    The BBC don't push women's football, the BBC push English women's football. The new BBC women's football show is just like football focus in that it has minimal content on anything in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and yet it's the flagship show on the BBC. Likewise the Guardian only covered two games in the last qualification round despite Wales sitting at the top of the group for most of it and those games were held in Southampton and then the final match.

Unless they start swapping shirts at the end of the game they can never be classed as equal in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And what about the absence of MOWO Awards?
    Men of Women Origin?

The quest to represent everyone equally will have a negative effect on the future for all of us.

By actively looking to balance out race in the workplace, or hiring a certain gender here or someone who represents lgbt there then you are overlooking other, possibly more skilled people based on their gender, race, sexuality. Just seems odd.

Just be open for everyone and hire who the best person is. If that's 5 old white guys or 6 black lesbians then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The quest to represent everyone equally will have a negative effect on the future for all of us.

By actively looking to balance out race in the workplace, or hiring a certain gender here or someone who represents lgbt there then you are overlooking other, possibly more skilled people based on their gender, race, sexuality. Just seems odd.

Just be open for everyone and hire who the best person is. If that's 5 old white guys or 6 black lesbians then so be it.
    But for recruitment, I think there's some logic. How do you become the "best person" for the job? By getting experience doing it.

We're hard wired to feel more affinity with those similar to us, be it age, gender, nationality, race. It's subconscious. If a company has three black lesbians on their recruitment panel and they have five new graduates with the same degree and no experience, they are more likely to feel affinity with the black lesbian and hire her. Five years later and she's on the panel and the pattern repeats itself.

It doesn't mean it's happening for racist reasons. People just need help to avoid it. I've worked in county councils in the UK which were 95% white and in no way representative of the towns they were in, and I've worked abroad where I was a minority and missed out on jobs because of it. I doubt any of it happened because of a conscious agenda.

There's two sides of course, you can go too far to avoid negative discrimination and get positive discrimination. It's not easy, but 'best person for the job' is also something that is usually not obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Unless they start swapping shirts at the end of the game they can never be classed as equal in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

I've often wondered why the BBC runs a vote for African Footballer of the Year too. There is nothing wrong with it of course, but why not have a South American Footballer of the Year vote as well, and an Asian Footballer of the Year vote? Or even, a European Footballer of the Year?

I mean there are lots of excellent African Footballers around the world and indeed playing in this country, but equally there are lots of good footballer from other continents, so why has the BBC chosen to run a poll for African Players only? It just seems a bit pointless and the logic seemingly random, although I'm sure that plenty of thought has gone into it.

Because this is what fits the BBC’s agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I've often wondered why the BBC runs a vote for African Footballer of the Year too. There is nothing wrong with it of course, but why not have a South American Footballer of the Year vote as well, and an Asian Footballer of the Year vote? Or even, a European Footballer of the Year?

I mean there are lots of excellent African Footballers around the world and indeed playing in this country, but equally there are lots of good footballer from other continents, so why has the BBC chosen to run a poll for African Players only? It just seems a bit pointless and the logic seemingly random, although I'm sure that plenty of thought has gone into it.
    They've been doing its since 1992 according to Wikipedia. It says its presented by the BBC world service.
    Its probably to do with there being English speakers in Africa and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    But for recruitment, I think there's some logic. How do you become the "best person" for the job? By getting experience doing it.

We're hard wired to feel more affinity with those similar to us, be it age, gender, nationality, race. It's subconscious. If a company has three black lesbians on their recruitment panel and they have five new graduates with the same degree and no experience, they are more likely to feel affinity with the black lesbian and hire her. Five years later and she's on the panel and the pattern repeats itself.

It doesn't mean it's happening for racist reasons. People just need help to avoid it. I've worked in county councils in the UK which were 95% white and in no way representative of the towns they were in, and I've worked abroad where I was a minority and missed out on jobs because of it. I doubt any of it happened because of a conscious agenda.

There's two sides of course, you can go too far to avoid negative discrimination and get positive discrimination. It's not easy, but 'best person for the job' is also something that is usually not obvious.
    So the recruitment panel has 3 black lesbians on it, and the 5 new graduates going for the position contains 1 black lesbian. Wonder what the odds are on that? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    They've been doing its since 1992 according to Wikipedia. It says its presented by the BBC world service.
    Its probably to do with there being English speakers in Africa and nothing else.
    Stop using logic, its obviously because of the BBC's "agenda"

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Stop using logic, its obviously because of the BBC's "agenda"
    Do the BBC have an Australian FOTY then?

Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    It's why their feet are smaller to get closer to the cooker
    You brave rebels wouldn’t dare say anything even remotely derogatory about black people (rightly so), so why do it about women ? Even in an “I’m being an ironic trolling wankface” kind of way.

Yours,
    Snowflake.

International

What would all these presenters do if, in order to be seen to treat all equally, the BBC reduced the pay of the men to the level of the woman who complained?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Imagine actually caring about this. Men have plenty of representation in football, there’s no harm in the BBC trying to shine more light on the women’s game
    They do , I listen to a lot of games , and the commentary and pundits are now women .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens