+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theresa May

Re: Theresa May

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    All Corbyn has done is to make the Labour party about the people that is should represent. The divisions have been caused by The Tory Lite amongst the Labour Party, like that A grade Twat Chuka Umunna We haven't had a serious Left Wing Party in this country for many years. I think it's great, somebody who actually has some integrity and who will help the poorest and most vulnerable.
    A man of integrity?

Pass the sickbag Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It could also be argued that the media is so run by the right that any opposition is going to be savaged. Any threats to the most wealthy being able to avoid tax and being able to make obscene amounts of money at the hands of the worst off are dealt with pretty swiftly by a predominantly right-wing national press (who are all avoiding tax) and Tory cohorts in positions of authority at some of the leading broadcasters.

A level playing field it certainly is not.
    Independant? Guardian? Observer? New Statesman

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    That ^^^^^
    The other/\/\/\

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

Up against The Sun, Mail, Express, Times, Sunday Times, The Sun on Sunday, The Telegraph, The Mail on Sunday, The Sunday Express, The Sunday Telegraph, The Spectator etc etc. It’s hardly balanced

The New Statesman is a weekly publication. The Observer is basically the Guardian on a Sunday.

Top 10 national daily papers in the UK by circulation:

Metro (owned by Daily Mail) (right wing)
    The Sun (right wing)
    Daily Mail (far right wing)
    Daily Mirror (left wing)
    The Times (right wing)
    The Telegraph (right wing)
    Daily Star (right wing)
    Daily Express (right wing)
    Independent (neutral)
    Guardian (centre left)

You might say from that list that right wing media is simply more popular. However, I've been into shops where I've never seen a copy of the Independent and Guardian. The right wing media outlets are run by billionnaires who can afford to take losses in order to peddle what they want. I don't believe it is right for billionnaires to be able to influence how we think so much.

The New Statesman is a weekly publication. The Observer is basically the Guardian on a Sunday.

The Sun (right wing)
    Daily Mirror (left wing)
    The Times (right wing)
    Daily Star (right wing)
    Independent (neutral)
    Guardian (centre left)

You might say from that list that right wing media is simply more popular. However, I've been into shops where I've never seen a copy of the Independent and Guardian. The right wing media outlets are run by billionnaires who can afford to take losses in order to peddle what they want. I don't believe it is right for billionnaires to be able to influence how we think so much.
    Yep

The Sun (right wing)
    Daily Mirror (left wing)
    The Times (right wing)
    Daily Star (right wing)
    Independent (neutral)
    Guardian (centre left)

Funnily enough Eric I was aware that the New Statesman is weekly and the Observer is on Sunday.

I omitted the Daily Mirror in error.

And the Daily Mail while unquestionably right wing is far less so than it was under Dacre.

Don't disagree thst billionaires do have undue influence.

Not sure what the solution is although I do think that the print media influence has been diluted since the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Up against The Sun, Mail, Express, Times, Sunday Times, The Sun on Sunday, The Telegraph, The Mail on Sunday, The Sunday Express, The Sunday Telegraph, The Spectator etc etc. It’s hardly balanced
    Not saying balanced but what is the answer?

Not saying balanced but what is the answer?
    You have alluded to it. The printed media is dying. Young people don’t buy newspapers. However the right wing press is now much more prominent on-line but at least that provides more of a level playing field.

The Guardian and Observer (and to a lesser extent New Statesman) have been more effective and enthusiastic cheerleaders for the anti-Corbyn (AKA anti-Labour) campaign than many of the outright (and overwhelming) Tory press.

You have alluded to it. The printed media is dying. Young people don’t buy newspapers. However the right wing press is now much more prominent on-line but at least that provides more of a level playing field.
    Yes I agree with this.

I never read papers now (and when I did I read them with a large pinch of salt).

Internet does balance things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Guardian and Observer (and to a lesser extent New Statesman) have been more effective and enthusiastic cheerleaders for the anti-Corbyn (AKA anti-Labour) campaign than many of the outright (and overwhelming) Tory press.
    Why is anti Corbyn necessarily anti Labour???

Funnily enough Eric I was aware that the New Statesman is weekly and the Observer is on Sunday.

I omitted the Daily Mirror in error.

And the Daily Mail while unquestionably right wing is far less so than it was under Dacre.

Don't disagree thst billionaires do have undue influence.

Not sure what the solution is although I do think that the print media influence has been diluted since the internet.
    I don't think there is a solution. I believe the elite and most wealthy will always find ways to influence the average person. Look at the Russian influence on social media in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    All Corbyn has done is to make the Labour party about the people that is should represent. The divisions have been caused by The Tory Lite amongst the Labour Party, like that A grade Twat Chuka Umunna We haven't had a serious Left Wing Party in this country for many years. I think it's great, somebody who actually has some integrity and who will help the poorest and most vulnerable.
    The notion of a "proper" Labour party after the New Labour phase was an attractive one, but the leadership has shown itself to be weak and too easy a target for the right wing media. There are posters on here whose political views I have plenty of time for who are adamant that antisemitism is not an issue in the Labour party, but my own view is that if there was a genuine will at the top of the party to tackle the issue head on, it would not be the festering sore to the party that it is today. Similarly, the way Labour has tied itself up in knots (mainly because of its leaders views on Europe being at odds with those of the majority of its members and MPs) has seen their "all things to all men" approach bring about a situation, which will, almost certainly, lead to confirmation tomorrow that they are almost an irrelevance as men, and women, desert them in droves - all at a time when it is predicted that the governing party are going to finish fifth in the poll.

I reckon we'll get as much change as they allow. :-(
    As Mark Twain once said, “ If voting made a difference, they wouldn’t let us do it “

International

Spot on and the BBC is one of the worst offenders in this respect.
    I think you would actually find that most of the BBC are left wingers.

International

The Sun (right wing)
    Daily Mirror (left wing)
    The Times (right wing)
    Daily Star (right wing)
    Independent (neutral)
    Guardian (centre left)

I recall rerading somewhere that the average daily is paid for by the advertising before it is printed. Or at least close to......

I wish the media particularly would not refer to him as “Boris” like he’s your friend. He is a right winger who doesn’t give a toss about anyone other than himself. It’s Johnson.

As for May she only shows emotion when her career is damaged. A dreadful politician whose repulsive hostile environment policy has damaged and destroyed the lives of legal immigrants.
    She was the PM of the nasty party.

Good riddance.
    I don't think one can start to think about Boris Johnson's politics because before that one should recognise his completely self-serving nature. There are plenty of people who believe in conservatism and centre-right politics and they should be terrified that their party may be lead by someone who would throw them all under a bus in order to get to Prime Minister.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Nonsense. Name them. Are they Robbie Gibb, Andrew Neil, Chris Patten, Nick Robinson, John Humphries etc etc.
    Studies have always shown Tory politicians get far more air time than the opposition. Whenever I watch Newsnight I am staggered about the dominance of Tories being interviewed.

When Corbyn became Labour leader he was referred to as the “left wing” leader of the Labour Party. Will the BBC constantly refer to Johnson or whichever Brexiteer becomes the next PM as the right wing Tory leader? I doubt it very much.
    The BBC is all about preserving the establishment. Someone like Corbyn is seen as dangerous as he is not one of them.

International

Nonsense. Name them. Are they Robbie Gibb, Andrew Neil, Chris Patten, Nick Robinson, John Humphries etc etc.
    Studies have always shown Tory politicians get far more air time than the opposition. Whenever I watch Newsnight I am staggered about the dominance of Tories being interviewed.

When Corbyn became Labour leader he was referred to as the “left wing” leader of the Labour Party. Will the BBC constantly refer to Johnson or whichever Brexiteer becomes the next PM as the right wing Tory leader? I doubt it very much.
    The BBC is all about preserving the establishment. Someone like Corbyn is seen as dangerous as he is not one of them.
    Maybe he is seen as dangerous because he is.
    But he is one of them. He has been a politician almost all his life. He was renowned for refusing to toe the leadership line so often, and voted against what the party wanted on more occasions than you could count. He now heads up a leadership cabal that attempts to oust anyone who speaks up against his leadership. witness momentum trying to deselect MPs who oppose his/their ideas.

He is very dangerous, I just pray that the country never has the opportunity to find out how dangerous.

Why is anti Corbyn necessarily anti Labour???
    Spot on

The Sun (right wing)
    Daily Mirror (left wing)
    The Times (right wing)
    Daily Star (right wing)
    Independent (neutral)
    Guardian (centre left)

It's an interesting one as left leaning folk buy right wing papers ,if they didn't , the Daily Mirror would sell so many more copies,than the Sun.

Talking to a newsagents recently about selling out of certain papers , he informs me that the shelf supply is driven by the demand .

I'm sure if a billionaire though could sell 10 million papers a year to a left audience ,I'm sure he would, bugger his politics ,as it's about the money .

[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4975807]Maybe he is seen as dangerous because he is.
    But he is one of them. He has been a politician almost all his life. He was renowned for refusing to toe the leadership line so often, and voted against what the party wanted on more occasions than you could count.

-- more than 500 times , dangerous , absolutely spot on.

Still there is a bright side. I can't see any new PM wanting an election so we won't have Corbyn in thank goodness.

I was disappointed in Theresa May but I cannot abide Corbyn.

Labours divisions on have been masked by the tory chaos.
    The new, even more right wing, PM will have to call an election. They won’t get a no deal through Parliament without a change in the numbers. The country won’t vote for a no deal government either so it’s deal or scrap brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    BBC comedians maybe (and in the old days current affairs programme makers), but not news executives or headline reporters.

There are two measures: what is reported and how it is reported, and on both the BBC leans to the right.

I have heard it said for over 30 years that the BBC takes its' news agenda from the Daily Telegraph. That may be short-hand, but they definitely follow the agenda of the (mainly Tory) print media. When it comes to how they present the news (with in my mind an often warped idea of what constitutes 'balance') a pre-establishment and conservative (small c and big C) bias is obvious.